Megaservers

Joesixxpack

They're coming. :tran_eek:

New Gameplay Focus Areas! Both PvP and PvE instances are now available on any server' date=' allowing friends who prefer any gameplay type to play together on the same server. Players can toggle their focus via their Character Portrait or the mini-map icon.[/quote']

[url=]http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=873570[/url]

• Replies 352
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Could be. This certainly supports the logistics of doing so.

OR, it could be just a half measure to encourage people to repopulate the old and dead PvP servers. If all servers are essentially equal from a play perspective.. it sort of levels the play field. But I bet the PvPers won't like it.

Time will tell I guess.

On a side note... watch people whine and complain when they have their focus set wrong and get ganked by a passing PvPer. :p

Edited by Andryah

Could be. This certainly supports the logistics of doing so.

OR, it could be just a half measure to encourage people to repopulate the old and dead PvP servers. If all servers are essentially equal from a play perspective.. it sort of levels the play field. But I bet the PvPers won't like it.

Time will tell I guess.

On a side note... watch people whine and complain when they have their focus set wrong and get ganked by a passing PvPer. :p

Yeah could be a lame repop. initiative. I'm choosing to be an optimist and putting my faith in BW's desire to do less with less.

Could be. My question is, which server gets to keep their names? There is sure to be people with the same names on different servers, which is the lucky one that won't have to change all their character names?

Good question. I'm one of those, but personally I don't care because right now it's time for HYYYPPPEEEEEEEEEE

Yeah could be a lame repop. initiative. I'm choosing to be an optimist and putting my faith in BW's desire to do less with less.

This is my huge fear as well Joe. After reading their carefully worded post, I don't think there's any chance at mega servers any longer...they still want ur 90cc to transfer.

Could be. My question is, which server gets to keep their names? There is sure to be people with the same names on different servers, which is the lucky one that won't have to change all their character names?

This is probably why they are doing this:

◆ Players can now add a single space in their character name, e.g. "Satele Shan."

◆Maximum Character name length has been increased to 20 (up from 16).

my guess would be that people pve servers would keepo their names, since those are more heavily populated. also, there is no point to having different servers if you choose the gameplay mode.

As a player who mains on a pvp server. [Rage intensifies]

---------

So is bioware going to skip patch 4.2 and go directly to 4.3?

Edited by Falensawino

What part of "instances" do you guys not get? They're not merging servers. They're adding the capability for people on different servers to join together in instanced areas. Unless you're specifically in one of these areas, nothing about your server is changing.

Given the incoming name changes, im ok with being merged into one if they did a merge, one of the reasons i didnt move with the rest of my guild off JM is because I didnt want to lose 25 characters names. But I can work with the new name system. Plus then I also wouldnt have to pay to move 25 chars :p

Mega servers aside which this could still be or not be pointing to. (They could be pre-testing the instancing for bugs before eventually merging servers, but there's no indication of that at the moment.)

It occurs that they might be doing away with pvp flagging and unflagging. You're either in a PVP instance and flagged, or you're in a pve instance and not able to flag. I know, it doesn't indicate that anywhere, but it would make sense for dealing with (it comes to mind) the whole Gree thing with people jumping in the middle of you fighting mobs and you mistargeting and flagging yourself. Or you grouping with a pvp flagged player, your companion healing them and you getting flagged.

Just a thought...

I'm sorry, but the explanation they gave doesn't make any sense to me.

Are they making multiple instances that cater to specific game styles?

If that's the case... how is this a good thing? All that will do is divide the community and make current servers seem even less populated.

And.. what about people, such as myself, that enjoy ALL aspects of the game? So I have to pick one instance over the other? That's stupid.

I hope I'm just misunderstanding this.

What part of "instances" do you guys not get? They're not merging servers. They're adding the capability for people on different servers to join together in instanced areas. Unless you're specifically in one of these areas, nothing about your server is changing.

That's not at all what it says either lol...

"Both PvP and PvE instances are now available on any server, allowing friends who prefer any gameplay type to play together on the same server."

Your RP buddies, your PvP buddies and your PvE buddies can all go to the same server - this is key, you all need to be on the same server. But you can all pick different instance types...

Edited by TUXs

please no, not unless the "megaservers" are 4x better then current servers that have lag issues as it is

They won't really be megaservers. They will look like it and feel like it to players, but they will actually be clustered server arrays where they partition and distribute instances across the array to balance loading. In theory that could make performance over all better for players.... however my sense is it is the internet pipes where the lag and bottle necking happens most with this MMO.. so that would need to be reworked.

Edited by Andryah

They won't really be megaservers. They will look like it and feel like it to players, but they will actually be clustered server arrays where they partition and distribute instances across the array to balance loading.

Where did you get this from? Link please?

See, I don't think ANYTHING is changing except that we'll all have the ability to pick PvE or PvP instances, no matter what server we're on. Harbinger will suddenly have PvP instances for those who want them...POT5 will have PvE instances for...well...nobody...but still.

Mega servers aside which this could still be or not be pointing to. (They could be pre-testing the instancing for bugs before eventually merging servers, but there's no indication of that at the moment.)

There is absolutely no need to merge servers. This is a problem WoW solved years ago. First, they enabled all the queueing mechanisms in the game to pull players from any server in the battlegroup for dungeons and pvp and, later, raids.

Then they went and did it so that the open world was shared among the battlegroup, all seamless to the player. The only zones guaranteed to be 'on your server' in WoW are your capital cities.

And they did this all without a single server merge.

Assuming it plays out how I think it is, there won't be any server merges.

The only real questions I have are the following:

Will the GTN's be merged as well, or will they stay unique to each server?

Will you be able to guild players from other servers, or will guilds stay unique to the server?

How is this going to affect Conquest?

I'm guessing all three of those stay unique to the server, though.

Where did you get this from? Link please?

See, I don't think ANYTHING is changing except that we'll all have the ability to pick PvE or PvP instances, no matter what server we're on. Harbinger will suddenly have PvP instances for those who want them...POT5 will have PvE instances for...well...nobody...but still.

This is what stings the most. Prophecy of the Five is in such bad shape because previous players of POT5 abandoned the server to switch over to Harbinger or another PVE server. As if pvp meant nothing to them in the first place, yeah sure I'll relocate to a pve server if it means my queue times are shorter.

Each person that left POT5 or another pvp server based on the queue time complaint acerbated the problem by further contributing to increased queue times by leaving. A scorched earth type retreat from the server, that created a negative feedback loop that makes it worse for everyone left on a pvp server.

I'm hoping there will be some complaints about this feature not being added sooner, people can now start regretting their switch to Laginger. Hope the months of quick queue times and extra lag was worth it, POT5 was left in ruin for it.

Edited by Falensawino

There is absolutely no need to merge servers. This is a problem WoW solved years ago. First, they enabled all the queueing mechanisms in the game to pull players from any server in the battlegroup for dungeons and pvp and, later, raids.

Then they went and did it so that the open world was shared among the battlegroup, all seamless to the player. The only zones guaranteed to be 'on your server' in WoW are your capital cities.

And they did this all without a single server merge.

Assuming it plays out how I think it is, there won't be any server merges.

The only real questions I have are the following:

Will the GTN's be merged as well, or will they stay unique to each server?

Will you be able to guild players from other servers, or will guilds stay unique to the server?

How is this going to affect Conquest?

I'm guessing all three of those stay unique to the server, though.

Yes, I remember the CRZs in WoW. Nagrand was a particularly annoying one. *coughHalaacough* They also added the *Servername after your name so that you knew that you were dealing with CRZ folks.

And also the battlegroups, which shifted from time to time adding or reducing based on server populations to keep them balanced for queuing purposes. And if I recall correctly, not every server was PVP or PVE in the battlegroup, but a mix.

And then the 'connected realms' where they finally basically overlaid two servers together to deal with waning populations so that you ended up with members of the same guild on two different servers. Or more specifically, members from two servers could join the same guild. Those were WoW's versions of server merges.

Edit to add info about Connected Realms.

Edited by Devlyne

I'm sorry, but the explanation they gave doesn't make any sense to me.

Are they making multiple instances that cater to specific game styles?

If that's the case... how is this a good thing? All that will do is divide the community and make current servers seem even less populated.

And.. what about people, such as myself, that enjoy ALL aspects of the game? So I have to pick one instance over the other? That's stupid.

I hope I'm just misunderstanding this.

It basically means that there's no difference between a PVE or PVP server. If you want to PVP, you set your instance type to PVP. If you don't want to PVP, you set to PVE. So the carebears can all just ninja loot and killsteam from each other, while the angrybears can just kill each other.

All while being on the same server.

You're not locked in though. As long as you're out of combat, you can switch your instance type. So a carebear can get angry, and an angrybear can get friendly. There's no real downside, as it gives PVP'ers an incentive to play on a more populated server, while still being able to roll with their normal playstyle.

• Dev Post

Hey folks,

By the term "Megaservers" I presume you think we are collapsing multiple servers together into "megaservers." Especially with many of the quality of life features you highlighted. These changes were only designed to allow friends to play together, regardless of their personal playstyle. Now someone who wants to play on a PvP server can play on the same server as their friends who don't want to.

Hope that clears up any confusion.

-eric