Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Megaservers

First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

DayneDrak
02.25.2016 , 03:46 PM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by Devlyne View Post
Mega servers aside which this could still be or not be pointing to. (They could be pre-testing the instancing for bugs before eventually merging servers, but there's no indication of that at the moment.)
There is absolutely no need to merge servers. This is a problem WoW solved years ago. First, they enabled all the queueing mechanisms in the game to pull players from any server in the battlegroup for dungeons and pvp and, later, raids.

Then they went and did it so that the open world was shared among the battlegroup, all seamless to the player. The only zones guaranteed to be 'on your server' in WoW are your capital cities.

And they did this all without a single server merge.

Assuming it plays out how I think it is, there won't be any server merges.

The only real questions I have are the following:

Will the GTN's be merged as well, or will they stay unique to each server?
Will you be able to guild players from other servers, or will guilds stay unique to the server?
How is this going to affect Conquest?

I'm guessing all three of those stay unique to the server, though.

Falensawino
02.25.2016 , 03:50 PM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by TUXs View Post
Where did you get this from? Link please?

See, I don't think ANYTHING is changing except that we'll all have the ability to pick PvE or PvP instances, no matter what server we're on. Harbinger will suddenly have PvP instances for those who want them...POT5 will have PvE instances for...well...nobody...but still.
This is what stings the most. Prophecy of the Five is in such bad shape because previous players of POT5 abandoned the server to switch over to Harbinger or another PVE server. As if pvp meant nothing to them in the first place, yeah sure I'll relocate to a pve server if it means my queue times are shorter.

Each person that left POT5 or another pvp server based on the queue time complaint acerbated the problem by further contributing to increased queue times by leaving. A scorched earth type retreat from the server, that created a negative feedback loop that makes it worse for everyone left on a pvp server.

I'm hoping there will be some complaints about this feature not being added sooner, people can now start regretting their switch to Laginger. Hope the months of quick queue times and extra lag was worth it, POT5 was left in ruin for it.
The most wretched hive of troll and villainy

Refer a Friend Link

Devlyne
02.25.2016 , 03:50 PM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by DayneDrak View Post
There is absolutely no need to merge servers. This is a problem WoW solved years ago. First, they enabled all the queueing mechanisms in the game to pull players from any server in the battlegroup for dungeons and pvp and, later, raids.

Then they went and did it so that the open world was shared among the battlegroup, all seamless to the player. The only zones guaranteed to be 'on your server' in WoW are your capital cities.

And they did this all without a single server merge.

Assuming it plays out how I think it is, there won't be any server merges.

The only real questions I have are the following:

Will the GTN's be merged as well, or will they stay unique to each server?
Will you be able to guild players from other servers, or will guilds stay unique to the server?
How is this going to affect Conquest?

I'm guessing all three of those stay unique to the server, though.
Yes, I remember the CRZs in WoW. Nagrand was a particularly annoying one. *coughHalaacough* They also added the *Servername after your name so that you knew that you were dealing with CRZ folks.

And also the battlegroups, which shifted from time to time adding or reducing based on server populations to keep them balanced for queuing purposes. And if I recall correctly, not every server was PVP or PVE in the battlegroup, but a mix.

And then the 'connected realms' where they finally basically overlaid two servers together to deal with waning populations so that you ended up with members of the same guild on two different servers. Or more specifically, members from two servers could join the same guild. Those were WoW's versions of server merges.

Edit to add info about Connected Realms.
Qui Cherche Trouve

DayneDrak
02.25.2016 , 03:52 PM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by Soul_of_Flames View Post
I'm sorry, but the explanation they gave doesn't make any sense to me.

Are they making multiple instances that cater to specific game styles?

If that's the case... how is this a good thing? All that will do is divide the community and make current servers seem even less populated.

And.. what about people, such as myself, that enjoy ALL aspects of the game? So I have to pick one instance over the other? That's stupid.

I hope I'm just misunderstanding this.
It basically means that there's no difference between a PVE or PVP server. If you want to PVP, you set your instance type to PVP. If you don't want to PVP, you set to PVE. So the carebears can all just ninja loot and killsteam from each other, while the angrybears can just kill each other.

All while being on the same server.

You're not locked in though. As long as you're out of combat, you can switch your instance type. So a carebear can get angry, and an angrybear can get friendly. There's no real downside, as it gives PVP'ers an incentive to play on a more populated server, while still being able to roll with their normal playstyle.

EricMusco
02.25.2016 , 03:56 PM | #25 This is the last staff post in this thread.  
Quote: Originally Posted by Joesixxpack View Post
Hey folks,

By the term "Megaservers" I presume you think we are collapsing multiple servers together into "megaservers." Especially with many of the quality of life features you highlighted. These changes were only designed to allow friends to play together, regardless of their personal playstyle. Now someone who wants to play on a PvP server can play on the same server as their friends who don't want to.

Hope that clears up any confusion.

-eric
Eric Musco | Community Manager
Follow us on Twitter @SWTOR | Like us on Facebook
[Contact Us] [Rules of Conduct] [F.A.Q.]

Andryah
02.25.2016 , 03:58 PM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post
Hey folks,

By the term "Megaservers" I presume you think we are collapsing multiple servers together into "megaservers." Especially with many of the quality of life features you highlighted. These changes were only designed to allow friends to play together, regardless of their personal playstyle. Now someone who wants to play on a PvP server can play on the same server as their friends who don't want to.

-eric
Well, that puts that to rest...

.... unless/until they jump out from behind a rock and actually contradict themselves by their actions.
When you find yourself surrounded by hostile Clowns... always go for the "Juggler" first.

TUXs
02.25.2016 , 03:58 PM | #27
Hey folks,

-eric
Yes it does, thank you Eric. That's how I assumed they would work.
All warfare is based on deception If his forces are united, separate them If you are far from the enemy, make him believe you are near A leader leads by example not by force
My referral code: here What you get: here (1 FREE transfer 7-day FREE sub FREE Jumpstart and Preferred Bundles)

DayneDrak
02.25.2016 , 03:59 PM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by Devlyne View Post
Yes, I remember the CRZs in WoW. Nagrand was a particularly annoying one. *coughHalaacough* They also added the *Servername after your name so that you knew that you were dealing with CRZ folks.

And also the battlegroups, which shifted from time to time adding or reducing based on server populations to keep them balanced for queuing purposes. And if I recall correctly, not every server was PVP or PVE in the battlegroup, but a mix.
Yeah, the battlegroups in WoW ended up being large consolidated masses, basically anything that was in the same datacenter was in the same battlegroup. And you're right, the ability to plug and play servers allowed them the ability to balance if they wanted.

Ultimately, even battle group has become an essentially meaningless distinction, since with the battle.net backend system (RealID and battletags), players can be invited cross realm regardless of battle group.

In the case of SWTOR though, I suspect this is far less challenging, simply because they don't have as many servers. An East/West/Euro split makes the most sense, though if they're willing to install high speed/low latency links on the backend between East/West, even that would become meaningless, as East would be able to talk to West without significant ping time increases.

The potential real casualties are the RP servers, as if they get thrown in with the others, gonna be alot of complaining about PEOPLE NOT BEING RP, or they'd stay isolated.

Devlyne
02.25.2016 , 03:59 PM | #29
Hey folks,

-eric
Eric, are we still going to be able to pvp flag in the PVE instances or will that be restricted to PVP instances only now? That's how I'm interpreting this and I'm not in a place to go test it on the PTS.
Qui Cherche Trouve

LadyRoyalport
02.25.2016 , 03:59 PM | #30
Hey folks,

-eric
Sadly Nope. This just makes it more confusing to me Eric. Are we losing servers or not? That's the bottom line for me. If we're losing servers I'm going to lose a lot of characters plus my 4 guilds that I run. If that happens, SWTOR will lose me.
The 'Lynn Lady
Find me on Twitter: @swtormamalynne