Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Midichlorians - what was Lucas thinking?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
Midichlorians - what was Lucas thinking?

MissTwilight
12.29.2011 , 01:15 AM | #1
I'm not trying to be antagonistic with the title -- I'm actually curious as to what he intended with these blood-born things.

A quick search of the Web turns up a lot of explanation but not much background. For example Urban Dictionary defines Midichlorian as: "Word imagined by George Lucas to totally f***-up The misticism surrounding the Force in Star Wars."

So does anyone know the actual background of the Midichlorians and why Lucas decided that they were the wellspring of the Force? Anyone with inside knowledge (Maybe some of the Mythbusters play??)?

To me, it seemed like what Lucas was trying to show was that the Jedi of old had all kinds of knowledge that was lost in the totalitarian regime of the Empire.

Of course, in the end, Midichlorians joined Jar Jar Binks, Padme's constant wardrobe changes and the Trade Federation as the primary villain of the prequels on the post-TPM trash heap of ideas. But I'd still love to know what Lucas was trying to get at.

mynimoe
12.29.2011 , 02:51 AM | #2
I feel like George Lucas was trying to make a socio-political parallel to religion and evolution so to speak. It makes sense in my head but its difficult to explain.

kenvegar
12.29.2011 , 03:14 AM | #3
The question shouldn't be "What was he thinking", rather "What was he smoking?!".

I

CrymzenSith
12.29.2011 , 04:11 AM | #4
just do what i do, sit there and do not think about them. because they do not exsist *nod nod*
Jedi Sentinel-Level 50

Lockyda
12.29.2011 , 04:26 AM | #5
I get the feeling he was smoking something during his first trilogy.. tried to explain *** he was thinking in the second set (1-3)

Divalinor
12.29.2011 , 04:36 AM | #6
Jedi/Force = Religion
Empire = The third reich

Makes perfect sense .
My allegiance is with the highest bidder.

Skoll-
12.29.2011 , 04:43 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by kenvegar View Post
The question shouldn't be "What was he thinking", rather "What was he smoking?!".

I
And where can we get some?

KaL_InvictuS
12.29.2011 , 04:44 AM | #8
Midichlorians were just an easy way to explain the nature of the Force to the 4-year-old target audience of The Phantom Menace.

Who cares about a "Living Force that flows through us, surrounds us and binds the Galaxy together" when you can have LITTLE DUDES LIVING IN YOUR BLOODSTREAM LOLZ.

FirstAngelus
12.29.2011 , 04:54 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by MissTwilight View Post
I'm not trying to be antagonistic with the title -- I'm actually curious as to what he intended with these blood-born things.

A quick search of the Web turns up a lot of explanation but not much background. For example Urban Dictionary defines Midichlorian as: "Word imagined by George Lucas to totally f***-up The misticism surrounding the Force in Star Wars."

So does anyone know the actual background of the Midichlorians and why Lucas decided that they were the wellspring of the Force? Anyone with inside knowledge (Maybe some of the Mythbusters play??)?

To me, it seemed like what Lucas was trying to show was that the Jedi of old had all kinds of knowledge that was lost in the totalitarian regime of the Empire.

Of course, in the end, Midichlorians joined Jar Jar Binks, Padme's constant wardrobe changes and the Trade Federation as the primary villain of the prequels on the post-TPM trash heap of ideas. But I'd still love to know what Lucas was trying to get at.
I thing he simply tried, by giving "scientific explanations", to settle Star Wars into the Science Fiction genre where most people by mistake consider it to be.... (while it actually IS fantasy with spaceships... no critizm about that, I like Fantasy and the whole atmosphere that made the old films great came from exactly that).

GhostRiderLSOV
12.29.2011 , 04:56 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by KaL_InvictuS View Post
Midichlorians were just an easy way to explain the nature of the Force to the 4-year-old target audience of The Phantom Menace.
Which makes it even more weird, since kids love "magic" and such things.
"Every little thing that helps."
Hile'Iteu Lightgrasp - Jedi Guardian
On the Frostclaw server