Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Changes to Start at 60 Armor

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Changes to Start at 60 Armor
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

EricMusco
01.26.2016 , 02:02 PM | #1 This is the last staff post in this thread.  
Hey folks,

Right now, when you make a brand new Start at 60 character, the armor that your character is wearing is Bind on Legacy. This has allowed players to make characters with the purpose of moving that armor appearance around to other characters. What we have seen on our side is that this has created a large increase in players creating characters just to get the armor sets, and then deleting those characters. This has created a negative impact on the data side. In order address this, we need to make some changes to how that gear works.

Starting in Game Update 4.1, the gear that comes with a Start at 60 character will be Bind on Pickup. This change will also affect all existing Start at 60 gear. Now, we know that there is a lot of interest in having those appearance available to characters. So here is a list of where you can attain those appearances in-game in 4.1:
  • Sith Warrior Alliance Supply Crate
  • Sith Inquisitor - Alliance Supply Crate
  • Imperial Agent Crafted (Grade 8)
  • Bounty Hunter Crafted (Grade 8)
  • Jedi Knight - Alliance Supply Crate
  • Jedi Consular Crafted (Grade 8)
  • Smuggler Crafted (Grade 8)
  • Trooper Crafted (Grade 9)
Note that all of this gear is currently Faction specific. We are looking into adding non-Faction specific versions in the future.

Thanks everyone!

-eric
Eric Musco | Senior Community Manager
Follow us on Twitter @SWTOR | Like us on Facebook
[Contact Us] [Rules of Conduct] [F.A.Q.]

Eillack
01.26.2016 , 02:03 PM | #2
That's disappointing.

SootyTX
01.26.2016 , 02:04 PM | #3
Good change, and appreciate the early warning.

Rankyn
01.26.2016 , 02:06 PM | #4
1) You'd think somebody would have seen that coming and that maybe create/delete/repeat is a bad mechanic for handing out prizes.

2) Why not leave it BoL? Sounds to me like the issue is all the character creation, not the existence of the gear itself.
Keep up to date with game events at
SWTORCalendar.com

Wallner
01.26.2016 , 02:10 PM | #5
Sounds like a smart change to me!
Want to get awesome free stuff in-game? Use my referral link!:
---->http://www.swtor.com/r/63S7yc <-----

MeNaCe-NZ
01.26.2016 , 02:13 PM | #6
Lol this is hilarious ... negative effect on the data side? You're aware that doesn't make sense right and you've just picked random words to try justify this hoping no one would pick up on it?

What about the numerous sets we get for creating a level 1 account and deleting it doing the exact same thing? What about people making literally 100's of level 1's and deleting and using the cantina tour codes so they can cycling until they get exactly the items ( or multiples of ) they want?

How is it only level 60 is an issue?

Not that I care as I don't use either method but I think if you're going to apply this logic to start @ 60 you should do it game wide since the main use of BoL gear is to transport stuff between toons you otherwise wouldn't be able to. Should all be BoP because there is no need for level 1 gear to be BoL since all new characters we make get the sets thus no need to transfer them elsewhere.

Or is it fine for the level 1 characters because you can try make fake metrics that say "Hey look how many new level 1 accounts were made during this period!".

LordArtemis
01.26.2016 , 02:20 PM | #7
I am ok with this change, but I would recommend that you make ALL alliance gear RE to craftable gear instead, and include these shells in that mix.

So....

1) All current armor designs for level 60 characters will be moved to drops and remain legacy bound.
2) All legacy armor shells from alliance crates can be reverse engineered into schematics that are BOL.

This will actually REDUCE the amount of data you have IMO, because folks can store the current legacy bound designs they gain from Alliance packs in crafting instead, and simply craft the ones they desire when needed.

Then no more data problems IMO.

BenKatarn
01.26.2016 , 02:23 PM | #8
What bind status will those new versions of the Start at 60 gear have? I'm assuming since some of them are craftable that the ones from the Supply Crates will not be Bind on Legacy?
- = = The Katarn Legacy = = -

SootyTX
01.26.2016 , 02:28 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by LordArtemis View Post
I am ok with this change, but I would recommend that you make ALL alliance gear RE to craftable gear instead, and include these shells in that mix.

So....

1) All current armor designs for level 60 characters will be moved to drops and remain legacy bound.
2) All legacy armor shells from alliance crates can be reverse engineered into schematics that are BOL.

This will actually REDUCE the amount of data you have IMO, because folks can store the current legacy bound designs they gain from Alliance packs in crafting instead, and simply craft the ones they desire when needed.

Then no more data problems IMO.
The data problem isn't about gear, its about the characters themselves. BW have stated several times in the past that by the time you get to 60 the data build up for that character is significant. Although these are create at 60s the same data requirement is still there for tracking all the things that could be done and have, or have not. This is a non-issue for level 1's that also get created over and over, as the data set for them is miniscule in comparison. And because there is an expectation on BW to retain deleted characters for possible restoration, they won't simply erase that data for a deleted start at 60.

Alec_Fortescue
01.26.2016 , 02:30 PM | #10
This is a ridiculous change. This was a relatively easy way to obtain that tier 2 armor for a jedi knight with hood down and now it's gonna be a random drop and most likely a pain to collect, with all the other ones being craftable. Awful.

Also which supply crate are you talking about exactly?

Leave the existing stuff as it is, just create new items for starting characters using the same models and being bop.