Gear Rewards from Eternal Championship

EricMusco

Its not really clear what the purpose of the Eternal Championship is.

If as was original suggested that it is solo content to get players ready to participate in group content i.e. tactical flashpoints as the lowest form of group content then the gear on offer even for 10 levels has to be less than whats on offer in tactical flash points. As rather than getting people ready for group content its replacing it, why bother getting a group and having to co-ordinate when I can just gift up my companion to level 50 and let them carry me through. As such you are stuck at 208 gear.

If the intent is to make group obsolete, and the lack of any new flashpoints or operations for over a year has already gone a long way to do this, then it may as well drop a full set of set bonus 224 gear. Yes it will be unpopular with the raiders and yes the time take to do priorites may feel a little wasted and we will all feel silly for doing it. But it allows for the development team to take the game away from group content and then any future story solo enforced content can be balanced for 224 gear with the set bonus. It would of course only be fair if it also dropped a full set of top tier pvp gear as well to all solo focused casual players to get this gear as well without having to group or grind out the points or really learn to play their class. While in the next 12 months there maybe something to offer PvP players it remains a side game of meaningly side games that don't tie into the wider galaxy in any way.

It may seem that the second point is crazy, but if the plan is to phase out any group content its makes sense to use this opportunity to rebalance everyones gear so as to allow the next chapters of Kofte to be designed with a set gear level in mind. More so outside of some very sad bragging rights the only thing group content currently offers is better gear, most people have played it all so many times that to keep doing it for what another year before the next op comes in cant be very appealing to any but the most die hard fans. Hell it would make more sense to go play an mmo that caters to raids/ops/group content if thats what you want, rather than hope such will come to SWTOR when there are No plans to do so.

• Replies 739
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If as was original suggested that it is solo content to get players ready to participate in group content i.e. tactical flashpoints as the lowest form of group content then the gear on offer even for 10 levels has to be less than whats on offer in tactical flash points. As rather than getting people ready for group content its replacing it, why bother getting a group and having to co-ordinate when I can just gift up my companion to level 50 and let them carry me through. As such you are stuck at 208 gear.

If the intent is to make group obsolete, and the lack of any new flashpoints or operations for over a year has already gone a long way to do this, then it may as well drop a full set of set bonus 224 gear. Yes it will be unpopular with the raiders and yes the time take to do priorites may feel a little wasted and we will all feel silly for doing it. But it allows for the development team to take the game away from group content and then any future story solo enforced content can be balanced for 224 gear with the set bonus. It would of course only be fair if it also dropped a full set of top tier pvp gear as well to all solo focused casual players to get this gear as well without having to group or grind out the points or really learn to play their class. While in the next 12 months there maybe something to offer PvP players it remains a side game of meaningly side games that don't tie into the wider galaxy in any way.

It may seem that the second point is crazy, but if the plan is to phase out any group content its makes sense to use this opportunity to rebalance everyones gear so as to allow the next chapters of Kofte to be designed with a set gear level in mind. More so outside of some very sad bragging rights the only thing group content currently offers is better gear, most people have played it all so many times that to keep doing it for what another year before the next op comes in cant be very appealing to any but the most die hard fans. Hell it would make more sense to go play an mmo that caters to raids/ops/group content if thats what you want, rather than hope such will come to SWTOR when there are No plans to do so.

I posted something like this earlier, that the final box should drop role specific 224 mods 1-2 random of: unlettered mod, random optimized enhancement, or Armoring) but to keep it from becoming OP it would have to be just that mods only and no hilt/barrels/set bonus tokens.

Heck they could have the boxes have a chance to drop Bind on Legacy modifiable Ear/Implants because an Ear/Implants have the same exact stats as any item with Armoring, Mod, Enhancement of equal type except the armor stat it self.

• Dev Post

Hi everyone,

I’d like to share some additional details on the Eternal Championship with you. This will touch on several topics as follow:

1. What is the story behind the Eternal Championship?
    • The Eternal Championship is the latest trend in entertainment among Zakuul’s decadent upper class, who happily “tour” the lower levels of their capital to watch their social underlings engage in brutal death matches for fortune and glory.
    • More details regarding the backstory will be revealed next week in the Developer Live Stream with Charles Boyd!
    • Leading up to the launch of Game Update 4.2, we’ll also post a Developer Blog about the Eternal Championship.

[*]How does the Eternal Championship work?

• You start the Eternal Championship by picking up an access Mission, similar to a Flashpoint. You begin at Round 1, and then attempt to complete as many rounds as you can. Completing each round will grant you a certain number of Common Data Crystals. After every round, you check-in to decide whether you want to continue or cash out. The total number of Common Data Crystals you obtain depends on how many rounds you complete.
  • You can repeat the Eternal Championship as many times as you wish by picking up the access Mission again.
  • There are 3 weekly Missions to defeat Boss 5, Boss 7, and Boss 10 respectively. Completing each of these will grant you rewards, which will be explained later on.

[*]Composition of the fights for each round.

• Each round consists of a single fight with a boss encounter. In most cases, they will involve adds.
  • For Rounds 1-5, they involve a single major mechanic in addition to other combat abilities. These rounds are catered towards players that have just finished Chapters 1-9, and are intended to guide you towards more complex fights. This could involve defeating mobs in a specific order, stepping out of AoE indicators, managing multiple mobs at once, interrupting abilities, etc. As you get further in the rounds, you might see a combination of these at the same time. The goal is to show these mechanics, rather than punish you for failing to deal with them. You will see the impact and cause the fight to take longer, but you won’t be one-shotted because of it.
  • Once you step into Round 6 and continue on to Round 10, unsuccessfully dealing with these mechanics has a more significant impact. Because the Eternal Championship is being catered to a wider audience, we have to strike a balance between being challenging versus frustrating. Hardcore raiders with full 224 gear will most likely not have too much trouble beating these fights, but hopefully they’re interesting enough that the consensus is that they’re cool to play through.
  • There were multiple posts asking if these fights will be tuned for each class, or even change depending on what class you play. The answer is that it’ll be the same for each class, but we’re aiming to balance it so that all classes will be able to get past it. Some will undoubtedly be easier than others, but we’re trying our best to make sure that it’s not too frustrating for the others.

[*]Gear drops for the Weekly Missions.

• As mentioned in an earlier post, the Eternal Championship is intended for players to have an alternate way to gear up to a higher tier of gear other than grouping up for a Flashpoint or Operation. I’ve seen several posts about gear suggestions, and here’s our current plan based on the input we’ve seen so far.

Weekly 1 for defeating Boss 5: Rewards choice of 204 rating static gear.
    Why: The first 5 rounds are intended for players coming straight from the chapters, and as such rewards you with gear that is higher rating than what you’ve been getting so far (190).

Weekly 2 for defeating Boss 7: Rewards an “Arena Token” that can be exchanged for a choice of 208 rating static gear.
    Why: Rounds 6-7 are catered towards players working towards Tactical Flashpoints, and as such rewards you equivalent rating gear from completing those.

Weekly 3 for defeating Boss 10: Rewards multiple “Arena Tokens” that can be exchanged for a choice of 216 rating static gear.
    Why: Rounds 8-10 are catered towards players working towards HM Flashpoints and SM Ops, and as such rewards you equivalent rating gear from completing those.

• What exactly is static gear? They’re gear pieces that have pre-determined stats that cannot be changed. The other type of gear is moddable gear, which have modifications that can be swapped out to change the stats and get the best build possible for the player’s respective class/discipline. Moddable gear can be purchased using Data Crystals from the vendors found on the Fleet and Odessen.

• Now some of you might be thinking “Why reward static gear?” The main purpose is to help solo players gear up, not necessarily be the most optimized stat-wise. Getting an upgrade would generally help improve the player’s damage/defense/healing output, but not necessarily hit the best combination of numbers/stat modifiers. Also, we didn’t want to diminish the moddable gear that you can get from the Data Crystal vendors. Again, the intent is to allow players to gain higher tiers of gear over a period of time. Grouping up for a Flashpoint or Operation will gear you up faster, but we didn’t want to limit players who don’t frequently group from getting the gear altogether.

• We are introducing a new “Arena Token” (final name TBD) that can be exchanged for 208 or 216 rating static gear from a vendor. Completing Round 10 will give you enough tokens to get a 216 piece off the bat. If you’re only able to clear Round 7, you can get a 208 piece or save up to get a 216 piece. The tokens are Bound to Legacy, so you can trade them to your alts if desired/needed.

• The 3 weeklies also reward you with Common and Glowing Data Crystals. So for players who are so inclined to delve into modifications and change the stats for your gear, you have the option of getting the moddable gear from the Data Crystal vendors once you’ve saved up enough.

• Gear with set bonuses are still reserved for Operations. Those are unique to that content and will remain as such.

[*]Other than Data Crystals and Gear, what else can you get from doing the Eternal Championship?

• Boss 7 has a chance to drop a new minipet.
  • Boss 10 has a chance to drop a new mount.
  • New achievements and titles.
  • If you have any ideas for achievements or titles, definitely share those. I saw one particular post about giving unique titles for each class that completes Round 10, which is great! We’ll be looking into it.

I hope that this gives you a better idea of what the Eternal Championship is all about. Definitely appreciate all the feedback on gear ratings and difficulty. If you see anything that you have suggestions on or have an alternate opinion about, please share it.

Thanks everyone!

Edited by EricMusco

You say that from a perspective of someone actually knowing what he's doing and ready for HM. Now imagine how destructive it'll be for HM PuG's. You'll have all those guys with 216 set gear that never set foot in an ops and that think because they have nice gear can skip SM because "everybody say SM are faceroll and I cleared EC several time so I should not bother and go directly to HM"

Lord you're not kidding...

I've done a few HM PUGs this past week, the highlighted one... The clear expectation is that everyone knows the op, where to go, the mechanics of the bosses, etc. Anything really special can be pointed out, differences from SM, but that's it.

If you don't know SM front to back, you'll get eaten alive in most HM PUGs.

But then I feel the same way about HM FP. If you haven't done the SM version a few times and know the fights, don't HM it, that isn't the place to get your hand held. There are perhaps exceptions. Black Talon, Foundry, Raiders, etc. probably don't matter as much, they aren't that bad. Show up to Battle of Rishi, Blood Hunt, Rakata, without having done SM, and you won't get far.

The purpose is to give the appearance of content without having to do much. It is "something", so that people can tell themselves that new stuff is coming out. And technically they are right, but it is really thin in that dept.

If as was original suggested that it is solo content to get players ready to participate in group content i.e. tactical flashpoints as the lowest form of group content then the gear on offer even for 10 levels has to be less than whats on offer in tactical flash points.

Tactical FP are already not worth running for gear. HM FP are really marginal these days.

Common Data Crystals fall from the sky, so 208 "comms" gear should be the base anyway. And frankly that gear isn't all that special, but it is a good starting point, especially if augmented.

HM FP drops a decent piece of 216 on the bonus boss and the final boss, which is nice, but otherwise it is all 208 vendor trash. The 216 it drops is usually better than the 216 comms gear, but not so much better than the 220 comms stuff.

The really good stuff drops in ops. Mostly... The 216 stuff that drops in SM ops is nice, but the highlighted HM ops is where the good stuff is at. 220 and 224 on every boss, you do a few of those and you'll be way, way past even HM FP gear really fast...

Wow, this is exactly the amount of communication I've been waiting for. :)

Thanks for answering our questions, nice to see EC is infintely repeatably for those who want to practice the fights (and get the pet/mount rewards), and that the fights have some mechanics like interrupts.

I don't mind that the #10 weekly gives out 216 gear, that's around what I suggested as well. However, only one 216 piece per character per week may be too little as it will take a long time to fully equip a character, which means players will not use EC to gear up. And I'd rather you give out mods and enhancements than unmoddable gear.

Regarding the achievements, I'm hoping for something similar to the Star Fortress HM achievements. Like the one where you have to use a stun breaker, or where you have to kite the boss to the wall. Those encourage players to continue running the content to get all achievements.

And if you haven't already, please put in an achievement for completing all 10 challenges. Just something to prove that this player has learned all the mechanics and is prepared for group content. That way, if you organize a raid and look for players, even if they don't have a lot of operation achievements you can still check for the EC achievements to see if he is a somewhat good player.

Looking forward to 4.2!

Edited by Jerba

• Each round consists of a single fight with a boss encounter. In most cases, they will involve adds.
  • For Rounds 1-5, they involve a single major mechanic in addition to other combat abilities. These rounds are catered towards players that have just finished Chapters 1-9, and are intended to guide you towards more complex fights. This could involve defeating mobs in a specific order, stepping out of AoE indicators, managing multiple mobs at once, interrupting abilities, etc. As you get further in the rounds, you might see a combination of these at the same time. The goal is to show these mechanics, rather than punish you for failing to deal with them. You will see the impact and cause the fight to take longer, but you won’t be one-shotted because of it.
  • Once you step into Round 6 and continue on to Round 10, unsuccessfully dealing with these mechanics has a more significant impact. Because the Eternal Championship is being catered to a wider audience, we have to strike a balance between being challenging versus frustrating. Hardcore raiders with full 224 gear will most likely not have too much trouble beating these fights, but hopefully they’re interesting enough that the consensus is that they’re cool to play through.
  • There were multiple posts asking if these fights will be tuned for each class, or even change depending on what class you play. The answer is that it’ll be the same for each class, but we’re aiming to balance it so that all classes will be able to get past it. Some will undoubtedly be easier than others, but we’re trying our best to make sure that it’s not too frustrating for the others.

Hey, you finally invented TRAINING MODE! :)

All kidding aside, this sounds like a GOOD THING . Way, way, WAY Too many new people have no idea what "standing in stupid" means, how to interrupt, or anything else to do with mechanics. This sounds like it will train for that.

Good!

As for "balance", can I suggest to the class balance team that your job would be FAR easier if every class and every AC got the standard set of interrupt, 4 second stun, and some form of DCD? The differences between classes and advanced classes for these abilities is huge and must be a balance nightmare.

Edited by TX_Angel

Why: The first 5 rounds are intended for players coming straight from the chapters, and as such rewards you with gear that is higher rating than what you’ve been getting so far (190).

Weekly 2 for defeating Boss 7: Rewards an “Arena Token” that can be exchanged for a choice of 208 rating static gear.

Why: Rounds 6-7 are catered towards players working towards Tactical Flashpoints, and as such rewards you equivalent rating gear from completing those.

Weekly 3 for defeating Boss 10: Rewards multiple “Arena Tokens” that can be exchanged for a choice of 216 rating static gear.

Why: Rounds 8-10 are catered towards players working towards HM Flashpoints and SM Ops, and as such rewards you equivalent rating gear from completing those.

I hate to tell you, but this makes the whole thing a non-starter for me. I get that I'm probably not the target market for this whole thing, but even on new toons that I'm leveling, all of the above is complete vendor trash, 100% worthless. I won't ever use any of it.

There are two reasons.

First, static gear is trash for a lvl 65 toon. I use static gear while leveling, the blue gear boxes from heroics mostly, but once at lvl 65, I put on moddable gear and I augment it. That's it, that is what I'm wearing. It can't be switched out due to the expensive augment slots.

If I have 208 common data crystal gear on with a 208 augment in it, and this new game mode drops 216 static gear, it is worthless, because I can't put it on due to how augment slots are handled. 208 with an augment is usually superior to 216 without, or really close anyway.

Second, by the time you've done chapter 1-9, done some alliance missions, and ranked up your alliance members a bit and taken those "free missions by Hylo Visz" that award tons of crystals, you have enough to gear up a mix of 208/216/220 crystal gear.

204/208/216 static gear is just going to be vendor trash for anyone who knows anything about gear. If this is aimed at people who will never augment, never do group missions, etc, well fine I guess, but then why bother to teach them how to do group stuff? If they ARE going to do group stuff, then give them moddable gear.

Even if it is 204, it can be augmented and kept, or the mods pulled and put where needed. How about having the middle tier drop 212 instead of 208, make it a slight upgrade over the 208 stuff. The final tier, lvl 10, should drop 220 gear, similar to the crystal vendors.

Edited by TX_Angel

Hi everyone,

I’d like to share some additional details on the Eternal Championship with you. This will touch on several topics as follow:

1. What is the story behind the Eternal Championship?
    • The Eternal Championship is the latest trend in entertainment among Zakuul’s decadent upper class, who happily “tour” the lower levels of their capital to watch their social underlings engage in brutal death matches for fortune and glory.
    • More details regarding the backstory will be revealed next week in the Developer Live Stream with Charles Boyd!
    • Leading up to the launch of Game Update 4.2, we’ll also post a Developer Blog about the Eternal Championship.

[*]How does the Eternal Championship work?

• You start the Eternal Championship by picking up an access Mission, similar to a Flashpoint. You begin at Round 1, and then attempt to complete as many rounds as you can. Completing each round will grant you a certain number of Common Data Crystals. After every round, you check-in to decide whether you want to continue or cash out. The total number of Common Data Crystals you obtain depends on how many rounds you complete.
  • You can repeat the Eternal Championship as many times as you wish by picking up the access Mission again.
  • There are 3 weekly Missions to defeat Boss 5, Boss 7, and Boss 10 respectively. Completing each of these will grant you rewards, which will be explained later on.

• As mentioned in an earlier post, the Eternal Championship is intended for players to have an alternate way to gear up to a higher tier of gear other than grouping up for a Flashpoint or Operation. I’ve seen several posts about gear suggestions, and here’s our current plan based on the input we’ve seen so far.

• What exactly is static gear? They’re gear pieces that have pre-determined stats that cannot be changed. The other type of gear is moddable gear, which have modifications that can be swapped out to change the stats and get the best build possible for the player’s respective class/discipline. Moddable gear can be purchased using Data Crystals from the vendors found on the Fleet and Odessen.

• Now some of you might be thinking “Why reward static gear?” The main purpose is to help solo players gear up, not necessarily be the most optimized stat-wise. Getting an upgrade would generally help improve the player’s damage/defense/healing output, but not necessarily hit the best combination of numbers/stat modifiers. Also, we didn’t want to diminish the moddable gear that you can get from the Data Crystal vendors. Again, the intent is to allow players to gain higher tiers of gear over a period of time. Grouping up for a Flashpoint or Operation will gear you up faster, but we didn’t want to limit players who don’t frequently group from getting the gear altogether.

• We are introducing a new “Arena Token” (final name TBD) that can be exchanged for 208 or 216 rating static gear from a vendor. Completing Round 10 will give you enough tokens to get a 216 piece off the bat. If you’re only able to clear Round 7, you can get a 208 piece or save up to get a 216 piece. The tokens are Bound to Legacy, so you can trade them to your alts if desired/needed.

• The 3 weeklies also reward you with Common and Glowing Data Crystals. So for players who are so inclined to delve into modifications and change the stats for your gear, you have the option of getting the moddable gear from the Data Crystal vendors once you’ve saved up enough.

• Gear with set bonuses are still reserved for Operations. Those are unique to that content and will remain as such.

[*]Other than Data Crystals and Gear, what else can you get from doing the Eternal Championship?

• If you have any ideas for achievements or titles, definitely share those. I saw one particular post about giving unique titles for each class that completes Round 10, which is great! We’ll be looking into it.

I hope that this gives you a better idea of what the Eternal Championship is all about. Definitely appreciate all the feedback on gear ratings and difficulty. If you see anything that you have suggestions on or have an alternate opinion about, please share it.

Thanks everyone!

Looking at this i am left with one thought. Why dont make a 4 man/8 man bracket for this as well?

[*]Now some of you might be thinking “Why reward static gear?” The main purpose is to help solo players gear up, not necessarily be the most optimized stat-wise. Getting an upgrade would generally help improve the player’s damage/defense/healing output, but not necessarily hit the best combination of numbers/stat modifiers. Also, we didn’t want to diminish the moddable gear that you can get from the Data Crystal vendors. Again, the intent is to allow players to gain higher tiers of gear over a period of time. Grouping up for a Flashpoint or Operation will gear you up faster, but we didn’t want to limit players who don’t frequently group from getting the gear altogether.

I just want to highlight this part... Bold part is mine:

Why? Why gear up more than what you get from the chapters, world drops, and star forts? If you aren't going to do HM FP and Ops, you don't need any more gear.

Dropping static 216 gear on people doesn't change anything for them, they aren't going to be doing anything with it.

What you've done is said "this mode is for solo players who want some shiny gear for no reason other than to have it". Group players need not apply.

Edited by TX_Angel

[*]We are introducing a new “Arena Token” (final name TBD) that can be exchanged for 208 or 216 rating static gear from a vendor. Completing Round 10 will give you enough tokens to get a 216 piece off the bat. If you’re only able to clear Round 7, you can get a 208 piece or save up to get a 216 piece. The tokens are Bound to Legacy, so you can trade them to your alts if desired/needed.

Oh great, a token that has to be turned in for gear, just to wait for the bind timer to expire, so it can be vendored...

Please do us all a favor and give the token itself a vendor value similar to what the gear it turns into would be worth, so we can skip the whole process and just vendor the token...

I do not believe that giving low-end gear that will be made obsolete, thereby rendering the content obsolete, is the correct move here. Unique orange armor sets are forever and people will run this content on alt after alt to get it if it looks good and is unique to the content.

[*]As mentioned in an earlier post, the Eternal Championship is intended for players to have an alternate way to gear up to a higher tier of gear other than grouping up for a Flashpoint or Operation. I’ve seen several posts about gear suggestions, and here’s our current plan based on the input we’ve seen so far.

[*]What exactly is static gear? They’re gear pieces that have pre-determined stats that cannot be changed. The other type of gear is moddable gear, which have modifications that can be swapped out to change the stats and get the best build possible for the player’s respective class/discipline. Moddable gear can be purchased using Data Crystals from the vendors found on the Fleet and Odessen.

[*]Now some of you might be thinking “Why reward static gear?” The main purpose is to help solo players gear up, not necessarily be the most optimized stat-wise. Getting an upgrade would generally help improve the player’s damage/defense/healing output, but not necessarily hit the best combination of numbers/stat modifiers. Also, we didn’t want to diminish the moddable gear that you can get from the Data Crystal vendors. Again, the intent is to allow players to gain higher tiers of gear over a period of time. Grouping up for a Flashpoint or Operation will gear you up faster, but we didn’t want to limit players who don’t frequently group from getting the gear altogether.

I wish the developers the best with this. I'll do it to get Bowdaar and then never do it again. Why you bother to put non-moddable gear in the game is beyond me. Also starting the gear at 204 is very silly. The Star Fortresses give better gear off the bat. The common data crystal vendor gives better off the bat.

All I can presume from this is that you intend for this to be used by people who do not understand gearing in the game.

Good luck.

Common data crystals are so easy to get and so plentiful, I'm not sure of the value in giving out these rewards. And they are non modifiable. I mean honestly what's the point?

More interesting would be to have each round give out ever increasing mods/armorings/enhancements, to teach how to rip and install them. I've found people who buy 208, put it on, augment it, then get 216, put it on, augment it, and buy another augment.

Yea, I really have come across more than one person who does that, who doesn't understand you can move mods and keep the augmented gear. When I've explained it, I got about a thousand thank yous! :)

---

As another option... have each round drop ever decreasing common data crystals and ever increasing glowing data crystals. After round 7, drop radiant data crystals as well.

So maybe:

Round 1 - 6 common data crystals

Round 2 - 5 common data crystals

Round 3 - 4 common data crystals / 1 glowing data crystal

Round 4 - 3 common data crystals / 2 glowing data crystals

Round 5 - 2 common data crystals / 3 glowing data crystals

Round 6 - 1 common data crystal / 4 glowing data crystals

Round 7 - 4 glowing data crystals

Round 8 - 3 glowing data crystals / 1 radiant data crystal

Round 9 - 2 glowing data crystals / 2 radiant data crystals

Round 10 - 2 glowing data crystals / 3 radiant data crystals

Adjust the numbers up and down based on how hard/how long each one takes, but that is the idea...

The above list has a total of:

21 common data crystals

21 glowing data crystals

6 radiant data crystals

For doing a full run.

Hi everyone,

Thanks everyone!

Nice post.

As for the rewards, I appreciate you trying to make it so that this isn't an alternate way of min-maxing completely, but I'd look into making the rewards a little more attractive. As long as there isn't set bonuses, I'd recommend having the mk-2 stuff that drops in operations as purchasable in place of the static gear, and something else that imo would greatly increase participation would be to have the gear that isn't easily purchasable or craftable be available for the "arena token". This would primarily be mainhand weapons, and the good relics. I think introducing these mechanics is a very good thing, and would encourage a little more reward as a raider that would like to see more people that jump into endgame after learning a little more.