Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Gear Rewards from Eternal Championship

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Gear Rewards from Eternal Championship
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

exfell
01.19.2016 , 08:26 AM | #311
Quote: Originally Posted by Halinalle View Post
If it's mk-4 stuff then raiders will just ignore it.
I suppose they could go for crafted but what about existing pieces? The quoted comment of mine was a reply to the idea of removing all of those drops from raids after all.

Makillda
01.19.2016 , 09:30 AM | #312
No stats, just trophy shells, a title and maybe a mount.
And now for something completely different!

Yes, it's a referral link. Now, watch as I pull a rabbit out of this hat.

durasteel
01.19.2016 , 09:53 AM | #313
I might be coming late to this discussion, and I only read through the first dozen or so pages, but it seems to me that a lot of the contribution in this thread is coming from the people who run operations. We're talking here about solo content, so maybe the perspective of someone (e.g. me) who plays that content almost exclusively is useful.

I don't need better gear, really. By the time I start KotFE on my characters, I have a full set of 208 armor and a few hundred green crystals, and equipment drops mostly get vendored or thrown onto the GTN. With 208 gear and a 20+ companion, I can solo a heroic star fortress with a little perspiration.

What I really want is a 208 main-hand weapon with mods. It's the most frustrating thing in the game to be gearing up with the crystals and discover that there is no way to get the hilt/barrel mods for the main hand without going on the GTN and paying a fortune for them. It's actually infuriating.

The other thing I would want is 208 relics that are "on equip" and not "on use." I don't need another button to push. I don't need another defensive cooldown. Just give me a relic that does its thing, like the 208s I'm buying of the GTN now.

I'll also agree with the folks upthread who suggest cosmetic shells, or empty "orange" gear. That said, please don't just throw another ugly set of armor at me. Take some time and pay attention to what people are asking for, and provide some armor without an overabundance of tubes, or a butt-cape, or a superhero cape, or bug-eyes. Make it look good.

The other thing that is always nice, but seldom mentioned, is cash. Lately it seems like anything worth buying from the GTN is **** expensive. I'm guessing that this is because the crafters have made so much cash that it no longer has any meaning to them. I like the larger cash payouts from the Revan and KotFE missions, but it would be nice to have a recurring source of funds once a character gets through that content.

The last point I'll make about rewards has more to do with how they're handed out: give me account-bound tokens and let me pick what I want (like on Ziost.) Let me amass a stack of these tokens in my stronghold bank so that I can gear up alts when they get to level 65 (usually happens on Hoth these days.) That includes a mainhand weapon. If you want to have the vendor charge 150 green crystals plus some number of tokens, fine... but give me a way to get my 208 weapon (modded) without being screwed on the GTN.

Finally, regarding the challenge level, I'll again agree with a comment I saw upthread: knocking out a heroic star fortress with just your companion seems like a good baseline. I've seen suggestions that companions should not be allowed, and I can only say I can't tell you my honest opinion of that idea within the forum use guidelines. Suffice it to say that I won't be doing this without my companion, except maybe once to get Bowdaar. I like my companions, and I'll be playing content with them, or looking for other games.

When designing challenging encounters, please don't just take the lazy approach of adding "boss immunity" to everything that is supposed to be tough. Let us use the full range of our abilities, without limitation. Better yet, design the encounter to require us to use the full range of our abilities. That's a much more enjoyable challenge than backing into a corner and running through a basic rotation until the thing dies. I really dislike being thrown around and knocked down by a "boss" that I can't use my stuns and interrupts on, or knock back, etc. If I'm subject to the physics, so should my opponent be.

Hope that perspective was helpful.
When my fist clenches, crack it open before I use it and lose my cool
When I smile, tell me some bad news before I laugh and act like a fool

Toraak
01.19.2016 , 09:56 AM | #314
Quote: Originally Posted by FlyinSpaghetti View Post
I agree in a way, not that operations are dying content or don't deserve focus anymore but considering they are focusing on other areas of the game it doesn't make sense to fill it full of trash while operations still the only content to drop viable endgame upgrades.

I actually got a better idea that wont upset the endgame balance too much, remove implants/earpieces/relics/offhands from operations (and fill those bosses with gear people will actually roll for) and drop them in the eternal championship instead.

Then have 216 dropping for 5, 220 for 7 and 224 for 10 encounters.

There you have it, decent gear dropping outside of ops but you still need to do ops to get your set bonuses. Both operations and solo content will compliment each other rather than one or the other being the be all & end all.
I like this idea actually.
Referral Link: www.swtor.com/r/Q4Tp3P

StevenChew
01.19.2016 , 10:02 AM | #315 Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. Next  
Hello everyone,

This is Steven Chew and Iíll be coordinating as well as working on the Eternal Championship. Firstly, Iíd like to thank everyone for providing their input. Itís very encouraging as a developer to hear from players who are engaged in the content that we create. Iíve been going through the posts on this feature for Game Update 4.2, and wanted to give some insight on what weíre trying to achieve with this.

As mentioned in the stream, this is meant to give the solo player (with companion) a series of challenges that gets progressively harder. The goal is to have the first 5 rounds be achievable by players who have just completed the first 9 chapters of KotFE, but with some additional elements. By successfully completing Round 5, they will get gear that is better than what theyíve been able to get from the story content. Beginning in Round 6, the challenges will start increasing in difficulty and building up to the final encounter in Round 10. We are still in the process of fine-tuning what the difficulty increase feels like.

The Eternal Championship provides an alternative way for solo players to get higher tiers of gear, albeit at a slower rate compared to Flashpoints/Operations. The highest rating gear will still be reserved for the more difficult group content as those require more coordination and effort from more players.

Looking through the posts in the thread so far, Iíve seen suggestions that match some of what weíre trying to do, some beyond the scope of this feature, and some additional ideas that are ďthatís cool, we should consider thatĒ. Iíll be keeping an eye on this thread so please keep those suggestions coming. I wonít be able to reply to each person individually, but will post an update when we have something substantial to share.

Again, thanks for taking the time. See you in game (from the shadows, you never know when a developer is stealthily following you around).
Steven Chew | Senior Designer
Follow us on Twitter @SWTOR | Like us on Facebook
[Contact Us] [Rules of Conduct] [F.A.Q.]

MorgenBlue
01.19.2016 , 10:29 AM | #316
Will the encounters be tuned separately for each role?

casirabit
01.19.2016 , 10:57 AM | #317
Quote: Originally Posted by StevenChew View Post
Hello everyone,

This is Steven Chew and Iíll be coordinating as well as working on the Eternal Championship. Firstly, Iíd like to thank everyone for providing their input. Itís very encouraging as a developer to hear from players who are engaged in the content that we create. Iíve been going through the posts on this feature for Game Update 4.2, and wanted to give some insight on what weíre trying to achieve with this.

As mentioned in the stream, this is meant to give the solo player (with companion) a series of challenges that gets progressively harder. The goal is to have the first 5 rounds be achievable by players who have just completed the first 9 chapters of KotFE, but with some additional elements. By successfully completing Round 5, they will get gear that is better than what theyíve been able to get from the story content. Beginning in Round 6, the challenges will start increasing in difficulty and building up to the final encounter in Round 10. We are still in the process of fine-tuning what the difficulty increase feels like.

The Eternal Championship provides an alternative way for solo players to get higher tiers of gear, albeit at a slower rate compared to Flashpoints/Operations. The highest rating gear will still be reserved for the more difficult group content as those require more coordination and effort from more players.

Looking through the posts in the thread so far, Iíve seen suggestions that match some of what weíre trying to do, some beyond the scope of this feature, and some additional ideas that are ďthatís cool, we should consider thatĒ. Iíll be keeping an eye on this thread so please keep those suggestions coming. I wonít be able to reply to each person individually, but will post an update when we have something substantial to share.

Again, thanks for taking the time. See you in game (from the shadows, you never know when a developer is stealthily following you around).
Thank you Sir for taking the time to talk to us. Have a good day.
A girl should be two things: classy and fabulous. A girl should also always be a lady even when arguing. If you like redheads click my Referral link Referral: http://www.swtor.com/r/VkfKqj

Vhaegrant
01.19.2016 , 11:14 AM | #318
Quote: Originally Posted by MorgenBlue View Post
Will the encounters be tuned separately for each role?
+1
This is a question I think that needs to be considered. Some specs just have an easier time of solo content than others and how do the devs see this difference affecting their balance concerns.
Or should I get my Sorc to chapter 9 as fast as possible

If the devs really want to have a difficulty test why is gear and previous attainment being allowed into the mix? This seems to muddy the balancing curve, as I've said before those that like to set themselves challenges are likely to have the best gear (or close to it) already as well (and probably most of the other buffs as well) and so any challenge set for entry level players they will breeze through. The same reasoning applies to the companions and their influence as well, although I can understand why the devs may put content in the game that encourages players to spend time raising companion influence.

Will the ten encounters be spaced out (allowed to take a break between each bout) or will you have to go through it in one go?

Have the design team considered any Attack Wave mechanics?
Fight new waves to fail, the higher the wave you reach the more bragging rights you have... it may also demonstrate any imbalances between AC/Discipline/Companion if a certain combination regularly out performs others.

Where would the solo Revan fight on Yavin 4 sit on the current scale of difficulty?
Personally I felt it was a wasted opportunity and did little else than serve as an interactive screen saver to keep the player awake. A reasonable fight mechanic, but far too many stuns/interrupts that were unavoidable, and at the same time npc healers that meant a player had to make a concerted effort to get themselves killed.
Some of the Oricon boss fights were a good balance, until a character outlevelled and out geared them. The champions in the Oricon H2 area remained some of the toughest solo fights I've found in the game. A good example of timing interrupts against mob abilities that could swing a fight, but were survivable if you used defensive cool downs, and a wider variety of ability combinations.

In fact I've not been back to Oricon since 4.0 dropped, I should probably take a gander and see if the H2 Champions have retained their punch.

Reno_Tarshil
01.19.2016 , 11:16 AM | #319
Quote: Originally Posted by StevenChew View Post
Hello everyone,

Can you care to expand upon what you guys find as doable so that suggestions posted here are more finely tuned?
Back in Black (and redder)!
The Sith Lord of Butterfly Catching has returned.

http://www.swtor.com/r/kpq6FY for free stuff and thangs.

Jerba
01.19.2016 , 11:38 AM | #320
Sadly, to me this sounds that the Eternal Championship will be very easy for any raid player but it's best they control the hype early on.
Thanks for confirming that the best gear should only drop from group content. I'm fine with Eternal Championship dropping some 216 gear, which you seem to imply with the slower rate, as long as it doesn't drop 224 gear.

I do hope you took our suggestions to heart when it comes to the mechanics. Like having a boss that must be interrupted to defeat it (think Malgus in the False Emperor flashpoint). Forcing everyone to read up what an interrupt is would go a long way toward teaching new players about game mechanics.
I don't expect players to suddenly be top raid players just from completing all challenges but maybe you can have small lessons like this inside the arena.

In any case, I'm still looking forward to the arena even though it won't be nearly as nice as I had hoped.