Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Why was it decided that everything endgame being a dps race was a good idea?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Flashpoints, Operations, and Heroic Missions
Why was it decided that everything endgame being a dps race was a good idea?

DragoVaughn
12.28.2011 , 07:17 PM | #1
Who thought enrage timers were a good idea? Really isn't very fun when a group of 2 dps a healer and a tank still hit these dumb enrage timers on black talon when everyone has the best pve gear possible at the time and some champion pvp gear.

Don't see how this system is fun, I struggle to push everything out as fast as possible with so many skills to manage and still can't dps things fast enough for these. It's become not fun, and when a game isn't fun anymore it's not really a game. Didn't have this much trouble with endgame stuff in lotro.

Skayte
12.28.2011 , 07:44 PM | #2
Trying not to sound elitist or like a douchebag now..

Should check your rotation\priority list again if you're hitting enrage timers in black talon.

First time I did that the entire group was in blues with 46-48 mods, cant remember hitting any enrage other than the bonus boss, but now that we've got lv. 50 mods things just dies too fast.
50 Sin - Slasher - Bloodworthy EU
45 Merc - Keena - Bloodworthy EU

Konraxhatred
12.28.2011 , 08:04 PM | #3
I'm going to have to agree with you, in a game where the dev's don't want dps meters and everyone can pull a dps without having to be pig holed sudden classes into groups who can do more damage then others (guardians/jugs)

Enrage timers was added by "blizzard for their raiding doing the BC xpac" when rift took that idea, it drove many people away and now look what we have here.. more enrage timers cause it requires you're group to have a sudden class make up. pff. Another reason why this game may die out in 2 months
<The Valkyrie Knights>
We Knights don't just fight for peace, we fight for Honor and Glory among all.
Strength, Honor, VICTORY my sisters!

DragoVaughn
12.28.2011 , 08:05 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Konraxhatred View Post
I'm going to have to agree with you, in a game where the dev's don't want dps meters and everyone can pull a dps line without having to be pig holed groups into sudden classes who can do more damage then others (guardians/jugs)

Enrage timers was added by "blizzard for their raiding doing the BC xpac" when rift took that idea, it drove many people away and now look what we have here.. more enrage timers cause it requires you're group to have a sudden class make up. pff. Another reason why this game may die out in 2 months
agreed sad, i like taking w/e group and taking it easy, supposed to be a game. make it hard but not a dps race

Konraxhatred
12.28.2011 , 08:06 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by DragoVaughn View Post
agreed sad, i like taking w/e group and taking it easy, supposed to be a game
Yah, I WOULD love to have 3 guardians and 1 healer but then we woudln't be able to pull the dps cause of the Enrage timers. THANKS BIOWARE
<The Valkyrie Knights>
We Knights don't just fight for peace, we fight for Honor and Glory among all.
Strength, Honor, VICTORY my sisters!

Solakiri
12.28.2011 , 09:05 PM | #6
The way most class mechanics work in this game, there has to be some form of time restraint. If not, I could take a tank and 3 healers into any fight, rotate heals and win. There would be no challenge. We would never run out of our resource, as they constantly build in combat. The easiest way to make content challenging is enrage timers. Your tank has to be geared enough to hold aggro and take hits. Your healer must be geared enough to heal the tank. Why shouldn't your DPS have to be geared enough to do damage?

DragoVaughn
12.28.2011 , 09:09 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Solakiri View Post
The way most class mechanics work in this game, there has to be some form of time restraint. If not, I could take a tank and 3 healers into any fight, rotate heals and win. There would be no challenge. We would never run out of our resource, as they constantly build in combat. The easiest way to make content challenging is enrage timers. Your tank has to be geared enough to hold aggro and take hits. Your healer must be geared enough to heal the tank. Why shouldn't your DPS have to be geared enough to do damage?
fact of the matter is, we were geared, maybe it's just once you hit 50 going to hardmode flashpoints to get more gear is too much of a gap with those stupid timers

LDSkinny
12.28.2011 , 09:13 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Solakiri View Post
This. Enrage timers are there to make sure that dps have a purpose at all. In end game, you'll find that as encounters get harder, people bring more healers and less damage dealers, because they'd rather win the fight guaranteed, even if it takes longer, rather than try to form a real strategy.

You take away enrage timers, people will bring nothing but healers and tanks to every instance and never have a challenge the rest of the time they play.

Waron
12.28.2011 , 09:29 PM | #9
Enrage timer and no DPS meter to prove anything. This is gonna be some crazy drama for Guilds. They need to stop copying other games while not copying the things that make it work.
Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid. - HAN SOLO
Keepin' it mundane in the face of the Force Zerg™

DragoVaughn
12.28.2011 , 09:30 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by LDSkinny View Post
This. Enrage timers are there to make sure that dps have a purpose at all. In end game, you'll find that as encounters get harder, people bring more healers and less damage dealers, because they'd rather win the fight guaranteed, even if it takes longer, rather than try to form a real strategy.

You take away enrage timers, people will bring nothing but healers and tanks to every instance and never have a challenge the rest of the time they play.
ok, you don't see the point, when it's a four person group for a flashpoint and two are dps with the best gear possible to get at 50 right when you could hit 50 (ie correllia gear), yet we're doing the best we can and still hit enrage timers on the first hard flashpoint you're to do to get gear, then something is wrong.