Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Item Stack Resale Exploit

First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

TUXs
12.09.2015 , 01:33 PM | #251
Quote: Originally Posted by MeNaCe-NZ View Post
Not offering a satisfactory solution is also going to equal less $ for Bioware. Possibly more impact than banning the cheaters ( only they know the metrics of who cheated and what contribution they paid into the game ).
Ya ya...so will lack of content. Not even Bioware's corrupted metrics will be able to differentiate who quit over lack of content vs. lack of punishment for the cheaters. Hell, they'll probably misread these metrics as people quitting because they wanted more story anyway...
All warfare is based on deception If his forces are united, separate them If you are far from the enemy, make him believe you are near A leader leads by example not by force
My referral code: here What you get: here (1 FREE transfer 7-day FREE sub FREE Jumpstart and Preferred Bundles)

Malchan
12.09.2015 , 02:02 PM | #252
Would a guild suffer reprimand if a member of their guild used exploited credits to buy things for the guild, even if they didn't know a guild member exploited? It would be entirely unfair to ban by association, most will agree I'm sure.

TUXs
12.09.2015 , 02:06 PM | #253
Quote: Originally Posted by Malchan View Post
Would a guild suffer reprimand if a member of their guild used exploited credits to buy things for the guild, even if they didn't know a guild member exploited? It would be entirely unfair to ban by association, most will agree I'm sure.
I doubt the guild would be punished, but I believe anything the exploiter gave to the guild (conquest win, deco items, donations) should absolutely be revoked.
All warfare is based on deception If his forces are united, separate them If you are far from the enemy, make him believe you are near A leader leads by example not by force
My referral code: here What you get: here (1 FREE transfer 7-day FREE sub FREE Jumpstart and Preferred Bundles)

Malchan
12.09.2015 , 02:20 PM | #254
Quote: Originally Posted by ALaggyGrunt View Post
If you accidentally did it once, you should get the benefit of the doubt. Play a game enough, move enough stuff around, and there will be random mistakes. Twice, maybe.

All companions at rank 50 from that? Oops, we accidentally your account - the mods.
I feel those who have done it once or twice on accident or to just see if it really worked, but didn't buy anything and destroyed the barter items should not receive any punishment. However those who used the exploit and did buy things should receive punishment ranging from 3 days to 3 months depending on how many times they did it along with removal of any credits/currencies/items gained from the exploit. Those who did it and got their companions affection up should have that affection set back to 0 and some ban time. Those who ruined the market or exploited for mass amounts of things should receive perma-bans.

ryoutou
12.09.2015 , 02:52 PM | #255
Quote: Originally Posted by TX_Angel View Post
Wait... wait! Are you saying...

That you're a Vampire Illuminati that CAN'T COOK PANCAKES?

*cries in agony*
Oh, I make excellent pancakes - but I'm the (relatively) young one
One of the original Revanite closed beta testers.

DawnAskham
12.09.2015 , 02:56 PM | #256
Quote: Originally Posted by Malchan View Post
I seriously doubt they have the time and resources to do more than run a script to identify exploiting accounts, and remove currency and items from those accounts.

Tracking items bought with exploited currency and or the credits generated from the selling of exploited items beyond the exploiting account becomes orders of magnitude more difficult, significantly more prone to error, as well as delves into ascertaining intent, which is always difficult.

Which is why this type of exploit should never be allowed to exist for any length of time, and why if this were real life (since so many people keep wanting to equate exploiting a video game to stealing in real life), anyone harmed by this exploit could make a claim that Bioware was grossly negligent and therefore liable for damages.

SirUrza
12.09.2015 , 03:39 PM | #257
Quote: Originally Posted by Flying-Brian View Post
How about an answer for a different question. Why is it that everytime there is a major content update, there is an exploit caused by it, that goes unchecked for weeks? Does BW no longer have anyone that QC's the game? Is CS down to a 1 person staff, so they never see the exploit being reported?
I suspect this is a large part of it. Since 4.0 launched I have submitted 53 bug reports, 1 of which is personally effecting one of my characters (missing the purple triage adrenal recipe and can not relearn it through RE.) The ticket I submitted for it is still open while the 52 other /bug reports I submitted took 2-3 before they were closed.

What BioWare needs to do I think is not only incentivize people to play on the PTR but also get multiple teams of FANS to play on the beta servers and allow those fans to copy their characters back to live servers on beta ends.
ị█ị██████ịịΘịị█ị{▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀)

Sathid
12.09.2015 , 04:39 PM | #258
Quote: Originally Posted by DawnAskham View Post
Some players don't just have a reading comprehension issue, they have an issue understanding how the real world works - especially for-profit corporations.

While they can, should, and most likely will ban egregious exploiters (most of which used throw away accounts anyways), they absolutely have to temper any decisions on actions against their revenue.

Only someone totally clueless about how the real business world works would expect to see permanent bans for anyone and everyone who participated.

I know I wouldn't if I were in management at Bioware, as I can imagine telling EA corporate that revenue is off for SWTOR because I banned paying customers who exploited a bug would not be good for my career.

All the corporate finance people I've ever dealt with acted like Pauly in Goodfellas...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XGAmPRxV48
You are clueless exploiters are very small and i bet they do not buy squat in Cartel items,,,what they have done is destroy the game economy,,they all need to be banned.

I can't believe what i read here sometimes,,you think these exploiters are the saving grace of the game? wow.

Sathid
12.09.2015 , 04:42 PM | #259
According to TUXs real world money must not exist,gee i wonder how all those cartel items end up on the GTN.

EricMusco
12.09.2015 , 05:19 PM | #260 Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. Next  
Hey folks,

Here is the first update on use of the stacked item sale exploit. As of this afternoon we have sent out our initial set of warnings, suspensions, and permanent bans for accounts participating in this exploit. I say initial, because it was important to action the accounts and prevent any further damage to the economy.

During their suspension time we will be continuing to investigate any account involved, and taking further action based on the egregious level of the offense. These actions can include:
  • Further suspension time, up to and including permanent ban
  • Removal of all credits
  • Removal of all commendations
  • Resetting of all Influence gained with Companions
  • Resetting of all influence gained with Base Commanders
  • Removal of items purchased or gained via exploit

Although you may hear that many people participated, it was rather a small group who were very egregious in their actions. In the future, I hope we see even less individuals using exploits, and simply just report them to the team. Thank you to the majority of you who reported it to us and avoided its use. I will continue to provide updates as I have them.

Thanks!

-eric
Eric Musco | Community Manager
Follow us on Twitter @SWTOR | Like us on Facebook
[Contact Us] [Rules of Conduct] [F.A.Q.]