Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Item Stack Resale Exploit

First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

EricMusco
12.08.2015 , 09:55 AM | #1 Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. Next  
Hey folks,

As of today’s patch, we fixed the following bug: It is no longer possible to purchase a stack of items and resell individual items for the price of the entire stack.

In a previous exploit, we were very up front and very public about its existence. We raised warnings as soon as we discovered the issue associated with the Temple Chair, with the hopes our players would not use it. What we discovered, were many players using a variety of ways to try and mask what they were doing and who they were. So, this time, we returned to removing visibility until we resolved it.

This bug created an exploit where a player could make large quantities of various currencies in the game with minimal effort. Use of the bug in this manner is something we absolutely consider an exploit. We are looking over the data of players who participated, and to what degree. We will begin taking action against accounts within the next few days. Action that will be taken includes:
  • Suspension, up to and including permanent suspension
  • Removal of credits
  • Removal of Commendations and other currency
  • Removal of Companion affection
I can only reiterate, if you discover an exploit, do not use it. Report it to the team immediately. You can do so via an in-game /bug or feel free to PM myself or Tait about it on the forums. Please, do not post about it publicly.

Thanks everyone. I will pass on updates as I have them.

-eric
Eric Musco | Community Manager
Follow us on Twitter @SWTOR | Like us on Facebook
[Contact Us] [Rules of Conduct] [F.A.Q.]

Neglience
12.08.2015 , 10:01 AM | #2
Permanent bans are the right answer to this, do not let this suckers get of easy. Of course for the accounts doing the exploits and to the accounts the profit was transfered too.
Pandora - Sith Juggernaut
█]╬╬╬╬╬╬(۝)ǁ█خ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓)

XiamaraSimi
12.08.2015 , 10:05 AM | #3
Watch and pounce, nice

Thanatus
12.08.2015 , 10:10 AM | #4
Not 100% sure a permanent ban will help or is the way to go.

Maybe, apart from taking back cash, items, influence etc, I'd suggest a debuff (-5% on all stats) , ban from gtn (for 1-8 weeks), and a "Cheater" title always visible! Rather than losing your subs, make them suffer in-game!
<Tomb of Freedon Nadd> - Imperial Legends

Callaron
12.08.2015 , 10:10 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post
  • Suspension, up to and including permanent suspension
  • Removal of credits
  • Removal of Commendations and other currency
  • Removal of Companion affection
Oh, hell yeah! I hope you guys crack down hard on the cheating jerks that exploited the hell out of this and benefited from it!

There are few things worse, and more demoralizing for honest players than seeing people like this getting away with it and keeping their advantages. So I hope for those that exploited it, that they lose more than what they started with.

Otherwise they'll just shrug it off and try their luck again whenever the next exploit comes along. "Nothing ventured, nothing gained" as the saying goes. And if the only thing they risk each time is losing their ill gotten gains... well, nothing to discourage them from trying again until they get away with it.

While winding up more poor, or losing their account entirely is a pretty good motivation to behave and not try their luck, because the price to pay for getting caught would be high enough to not make it worth the risk.

On other MMOs I've played in the past, every player knew that the devs were so lax when it came to repercussions that just about everyone jumped on the exploit train the moment one happened. Players knew at that point that not participating and being an honest player would only punish -them- in the end when those who exploited came away with tons of cash and exclusive mounts.

Sure, they couldn't log into their accounts for three days... but come on... who the hell cares about a stupid three day ban when you just got away with getting stuff that would normally take years to acquire through regular play? (Or a great deal of dollars in that particular game's case )

TL; DR version: Letting these guys off easy will only encourage more people to do it in the future. So I hope they really get what they've got coming there.
Thanks for showing us you listen to our feedback, Bioware!
Join the Galactic Referral Army today and see the galaxy! (with a free character transfer and some other shiny Cartel Market unlocks!)
Suggestion for letting us add certain story characters to our Strongholds.

ryoutou
12.08.2015 , 10:13 AM | #6
Wow, very crafty.

And here I'd have just implemented a hotfix three weeks ago.

One of the original Revanite closed beta testers.

Avinler
12.08.2015 , 10:14 AM | #7
Don't hold back, let justice be swift and strong.
Avin

Founder, Retired GM of <Fortitude> on Jedi Covenant
& Andrew on SWTOR Economics

Callaron
12.08.2015 , 10:15 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by ryoutou View Post
Wow, very crafty.

And here I'd have just implemented a hotfix three weeks ago.

Because we all know that every dummy can code, and tracking down and fixing bugs is childsplay! Right?
Thanks for showing us you listen to our feedback, Bioware!
Join the Galactic Referral Army today and see the galaxy! (with a free character transfer and some other shiny Cartel Market unlocks!)
Suggestion for letting us add certain story characters to our Strongholds.

AMightyKnight
12.08.2015 , 10:15 AM | #9
What took you so long?
Benaiah Abihail @T3M4 Ahdino Abishai
Gladio vivere, fusil perire!
KotFE 10/2015: RIP Endgame /unsubbed 02/16

Declan_Vee
12.08.2015 , 10:15 AM | #10
Anything less than a permanent ban for ALL accounts involved is unacceptable and another slap-in-the-face to whatever playerbase you have left.
Ameel MinogueLauramile
The Ex-Dalborran Elitists... whatever's left of them... - The Harbinger