Whos quitting Nim loot?

Lets have a fun little game guys and gals.

What the socials did just a few weeks ago lets see how many of us will be left after these changes.

We are indeed replying to this:

Hey folks,

I have a few updates to pass on regarding the current issues with Nightmare Loot Drops. First, we discovered there is a bug with the percentage chance of a 224 rated item dropping in any of our Nightmare Operations. We plan to address this when we release Chapter 10 (Game Update 4.1) scheduled in February. If we are able to address it sooner, I’ll pass along an update.

Aside from that, we realized that we need to make a correction to our Operations and Flashpoints in Fallen Empire blog. Currently it states the following:

Nightmare Mode will also be available for all the Operations that had it previously, and will reward the same as the highlighted Hard Mode, as well as the unique mounts and titles available currently.

This statement is in error and needs to be corrected. When running a Nightmare Operation, there is a chance that a 224 item can drop, but it is not a guaranteed drop like the highlighted Hard Mode is. Nightmare Mode Operations will still drop their unique mounts and titles, and once fixed there is a chance to get 224 gear from them. It is by design that the best and most consistent way to gear up in Operations is to run the highlighted Hard Mode each week. Although they did certainly want to make sure there was a chance for greater reward from Nightmare!

We apologize for any confusion and will make sure that the blog is updated to reflect the correct information. I will pass on any further updates as I have them.

Thanks.

-eric

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just pulled the trigger on an Unsub. The stupid is too strong right now with the current dev team.

Same. BW is great with the announcement. Had 0 days left on recurring 6 month sub. Pretty happy they decided to go full steam with their "lead operation design decisions".

I cancelled my subscription as well.

I honestly think this is what they want, and I'm not trying to be bitter or hateful towards BW. hard choice or not they clearly have made the strategic decision to placate the raiding community and inject $$ and resources into other avenues of the game. I've had some wonderful times playing this game and made many friends. Unfortunately the people responsible for selling this game want to take it in a direction that is not consistent with my expectations or desired gameplay, sucks.

I'll check in monthly for a while to see if anything has changed, and maybe if a new op comes out or they make progression raiding a viable option for this game I'll resub, but if you are a progression raider and that is your main delight in this game....it sadly seems like BW is breaking up with us and we need to move on.

lol

You mean to tell me you expect to get the best gear in the game from the hardest content in the game? Pft entitled millennials.

/endSarcasm

Seriously BioWare, are you trying to drive everyone away? Not testing, not giving us a 100% drop rate on this loot in Nightmare mode, the bugs that are not getting fixed, PVP and PVE not being balanced separately . . .

It seems like BioWare is trying to piss every different kind of gamer that is still playing this game off as quickly as they can.

... lets see how many of us will be left after these changes.

You have to realise that Bioware are a metrics driven organisation.

If people stop doing NiM raids... that won't be a sign Bioware scr*wed up and drove people away...

... It'll be seen as a absolute truth that consistently people aren't interested in doing NiM OPs, so it's a waste of resources and so they should focus on the other stuff.

The NiM loot itself probably wouldn't be directly an issue for me. But the design philosophy... my perception of the ideas BEHIND this decision, just make me realise how big the expanse is between what I want from an MMORPG and what Bioware want to deliver.

This line intentionally left blank.

If people stop doing NiM raids... that won't be a sign Bioware scr*wed up and drove people away...

... It'll be seen as a absolute truth that consistently people aren't interested in doing NiM OPs, so it's a waste of resources and so they should focus on the other stuff.

The NiM loot itself probably wouldn't be directly an issue for me. But the design philosophy... my perception of the ideas BEHIND this decision, just make me realise how big the expanse is between what I want from an MMORPG and what Bioware want to deliver.

Riddle me this:

we killed all nims in every expansion thus far, we killed 4.0 nims. What incentive do we have to go back there when all 22 of my toons have all titles mounts and so on? Gear was the only motivation left.

Also how progress should have worked: we gear up in HMs 220 gear, then gradually progresss through NIM earning 224 along the way. Thats how it should have been...

I've been around since April 2012. I've always stayed a sub, but now I am seriously considering pulling the plug. Ignoring the hardcore players in an MMO demonstrates a tremendous lack of foresight, and with the focus of SWTOR being shifted to single player i honestly don't see a reason to continue. Paying the equivalent of a new game every 6 months for 6 chapters of story/2 hours of game is just not worth it. What makes an MMO is group content and replayability, and both are severely lacking.

Lets have a fun little game guys and gals.

What the socials did just a few weeks ago lets see how many of us will be left after these changes.

I am not quitting (for now), but this is absolutely edging me closer to terminating my relationship with SWTOR.

I started playing at launch cause I was a fanboy of Star Wars and BioWare, but it was the MMO bits of this game that have kept me engaged all of these years. With each change that undermines challenging and worthwhile PvE content, BioWare is absolutely hastening my departure and increasing my dissatisfaction. If my current raid groups disband because of this, I suspect I too will depart the game.

What makes you think that they are organized?

Because chaos would at least get things right occasionally by accident.

The state of the game at the moment has all the feels of a group of people where decisions are made by committee. Where design philosophy flits from one "great idea of the moment" to the next, before it is abandoned. Where anyone with any true insight is either drowned out by the masses or forced to compromise due to limited resources. Where the perception of success is more important than actual success. Where the great minds have already left or been let go, leaving those who remain with only half a clue how everything really works and removing any sense of consistency or future insight. Where corners are cut and people's dreams are crushed.

... in short... local government.

Governments are organised. I wouldn't want them developing games though.

There was a piece of paper I picked up early in my working life... it read...

"We the unwilling, led by the unqualified have been doing the unbelievable for so long with so little, we now attempt the impossible with nothing". I can't help but feel every SWTOR developer probably has a copy of that over each of their desks.

Or perhaps they really do think they are doing a good job and therefore identify with the original quote instead.

Edited by Woetoo

I understand your point about their NiM metrics becoming a self-fulfilling prophesy. Hopefully their post-KotFE quarterly on subs will be the metrics they need to see that they are moving in the wrong direction.

I've been around since April 2012. I've always stayed a sub, but now I am seriously considering pulling the plug. Ignoring the hardcore players in an MMO demonstrates a tremendous lack of foresight, and with the focus of SWTOR being shifted to single player i honestly don't see a reason to continue. Paying the equivalent of a new game every 6 months for 6 chapters of story/2 hours of game is just not worth it. What makes an MMO is group content and replayability, and both are severely lacking.

But, and I mean no disrespect nor do I wish to start a fight, SWTOR isn't and has never been a hardcore raiding environment. Throughout its history it has been, at best (in that regard) "somewhat difficult", so i get really confused when people state they are leaving due to anything at all related to NiM ops - because they weren't a reason to stay in the first place for any serious raider.

Admittedly, for me, no current MMO will ever be considered hardcore raiding but I come from the EQ era. No instancing, deaths had a real cost, far bigger groups required and before all the modern fancy aids (or even voice comms).

As I noted in a different thread, I can see a logic behind what they did (although not having an explanation from them was very shortsighted) in that expecting NiM ops to require 224 gear allows them to be more highly tuned. What should happen, in that instance, is that (a) they are given sufficient other rewards to make them interesting and (b) they should be the first opportunity to earn the next gear level prior to the release of new content. This would allow players focused on endgame raiding to continue to be tested and rewarded as well as wanting to keep their skills up in preparation for the next operation release.

Having NiM being the place to get the top end gear simply means that, over time, it becomes relatively easy. And with modern games, that time is very short. Tuning NiM content to require the best players using level 220 gear simply means that, once a few get 224 gear, the raid becomes easier. Ultimately, it means that once everyone has 224 gear the raid is trivial for that level of skilled player. Even cycling in alts will only delay things slightly as any sensible raid group will maintain a majority of what are now overgeared players to ensure success and maximise rewards/minimise time.

So ultimately all it does is delay the inevitable - and given how fast players get through content, it doesn't delay things by much. Having NiM content being able to be overgeared also significantly diminishes its appeal and is one of the reasons I don't bother with progression raiding in modern MMOs - the window of time during which it is a real challenge is simply too short and overgearing allows players to "pretend" to be progression raiders when they have neither the skill nor the mentality for it.

So Eric's announcement makes sense IF that is their philosophy. The main problem is that they didn't actually explain their philosophy and the rewards within the current NiM system clearly aren't enough to keep people doing it.

Because chaos would at least get things right occasionally by accident.

The state of the game at the moment has all the feels of a group of people where decisions are made by committee. Where design philosophy flits from one "great idea of the moment" to the next, before it is abandoned. Where anyone with any true insight is either drowned out by the masses or forced to compromise due to limited resources. Where the perception of success is more important than actual success. Where the great minds have already left or been let go, leaving those who remain with only half a clue how everything really works and removing any sense of consistency or future insight. Where corners are cut and people's dreams are crushed.

... in short... local government.

Governments are organised. I wouldn't want them developing games though.

There was a piece of paper I picked up early in my working life... it read...

"We the unwilling, led by the unqualified have been doing the unbelievable for so long with so little, we now attempt the impossible with nothing". I can't help but feel every SWTOR developer probably has a copy of that over each of their desks.

Or perhaps they really do think they are doing a good job and therefore identify with the original quote instead.

Governments are anything but organized. They are run by 2 different political parties who are competing for popularity by causing pain and suffering to different groups of people. Oh yes they claim that they what they do is for the greater good, and also do occasional good, but generally they cause more harm than they prevent.

This game is joke for a long time, this nim loot/no loot is just tip of an iceberg. There is no new content, barely minimum should be 3+ flashpoints for each major update and at least 1 raid, couple of new WZ and GSF maps.

Will I quit game? Not really, the cost of monthly sub is low enough for me to keep it running, but how much do I actually play it? Three times a week, for 3 hours. It came to that, it has nothing to offer and that is sad.