Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Galactic Starfighter....suggestions to give it wider appeal, short and long term

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Galactic Starfighter
Galactic Starfighter....suggestions to give it wider appeal, short and long term

Lavaar
11.21.2015 , 02:07 PM | #291
Quote: Originally Posted by SammyGStatus View Post
I enjoyed sniper wars last night. It became a game of chess, which is extremely exciting to me. Play and counterplay. LOS that last guy? Too bad you weren't paying attention to him over here.

You definitely get better the more high level play you familiarize yourself with. It's also the ultimate test of situational awareness.
The man speaks truth

LordArtemis
11.30.2015 , 03:47 PM | #292
Quote: Originally Posted by Danalon View Post
The gear gap in GSF isn't as huge as in PvP. The components and upgrades are more similar to talents you get. There are only very few upgrades that really make a difference and most of them can be unlocked with around 30k requisition spent in a ship. The matchmaking system tries to take the upgrades people have into account, but that only works well, if there are enough people queueing at the same time.

The real issue however is the skill gap. Some players have played thousands of games. They know what to do and when and how to do it.
More shields or hitpoints wont help because from what I've seen almost all new players completely ignore it if someone is shooting at them. A change like this will make it even harder to learn how to avoid damage or when it's time to run away.
Would some kind of bolster mechanic help ease the skill gap problem?

I also wonder, if the hangars were more functional, something like strongholds where you could go and physically see your fighters parked, if that would perhaps encourage participation.

caederon
11.30.2015 , 04:16 PM | #293
Quote: Originally Posted by LordArtemis View Post
Would some kind of bolster mechanic help ease the skill gap problem?
I think the only thing that will really ease the skill gap problem is having enough players in the matchmaking pool that people are facing off against others of a similar experience level. Many veterans have tried many things to help out the rookies, from mentoring to attempts at helping them get req in domination matches, etc. Every bit helps, but the best possible way for pilots to increase their skills is to fly against people of a similar level of experience.

Since those kinds of matches are not always easy to find, people have to self-motivate and seek out the many resources available to them to increase their skills.

If you're new and want to improve, talk to the veterans, listen to what they have to say, group up with the ones who are willing and pick their brains, and fly a lot.

Despon

Maulkat
12.01.2015 , 01:08 AM | #294
Had an interesting match lastnight. It was a wargame, imp side on Harb. I had a group of 4 veterans in group, the other 4 were strangers/noobs, the opposing side was almost all noobs with maybe one or two people with 3 ships or more. We were able to converse back and forth, giving hints, ideas and suggestions to the opposing team, making the match more fun and less of a rofflestomp.

LordArtemis
12.05.2015 , 02:16 AM | #295
Quote: Originally Posted by caederon View Post
I think the only thing that will really ease the skill gap problem is having enough players in the matchmaking pool that people are facing off against others of a similar experience level. Many veterans have tried many things to help out the rookies, from mentoring to attempts at helping them get req in domination matches, etc. Every bit helps, but the best possible way for pilots to increase their skills is to fly against people of a similar level of experience.

Since those kinds of matches are not always easy to find, people have to self-motivate and seek out the many resources available to them to increase their skills.

If you're new and want to improve, talk to the veterans, listen to what they have to say, group up with the ones who are willing and pick their brains, and fly a lot.

Despon
I think in that case, more than ever, the tutorial needs serious improvement.

caederon
12.05.2015 , 03:08 AM | #296
Quote: Originally Posted by LordArtemis View Post
I think in that case, more than ever, the tutorial needs serious improvement.
For years, many pilots including myself have been calling for a better tutorial. Chances are it's not happening... BUT there is something that I encourage regarding the tutorial:

1. Play it once the way they want you to, suffer through the hideous stop-and-go nonsense and reading they foist on you, just grit your teeth and do it and try to pay attention. It sucks, but you can learn the basics. Then...

2. Play it again. flip through the text as fast as possible, then completely ignore the objectives they present. Fly around, practice boosting and maneuvering. Your ship is invulnerable, so you can bounce off walls and not die. You can get the hang of flying and power management without anyone shooting at you. You have until the timer runs down to zoom around the whole Lost Shipyards map. You can do this as often as you like to get a feel for the controls with no risk.

Despon