Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

The only questions I would like answered

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
The only questions I would like answered
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

tmwfte's Avatar


tmwfte
11.16.2015 , 01:14 PM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by PlacidDragon View Post
You are making the assumption that they even HAVE a QA department.... i very much doubt that they have
EA has at least one fairly large QA department at their Burnaby location. Unless they've switched providers, most of them were temps supplied by Volt. Primarily, the people I know who were there seemed to be running QA on EA Sports games for consoles (which makes sense considering that a division of EA Sports is housed in that facility), but mentioned that other franchises and studio divisions were also represented. Whether or not BioWare: Austin has access to or would find usefulness from that QA division, I don't know.
*waves hand*This is not the referral link you are looking for.

Themanthatisi's Avatar


Themanthatisi
11.16.2015 , 01:15 PM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by Meraxos View Post
My wife swore she'd never play SWTOR again. But she came back to give it a try after I told her about the new story in 4.0.

Now she is having great fun leveling a new Assassin using a healing companion. She does the class story plus some heroics. She isn't a highly skilled player and she keeps her gear fairly decent but doesn't stress about it.

If the healing companions get heavily nerfed and she can no longer do the heroics she'll quit. Instantly.

Bioware needs to be extremely cautious about giving casual and relaxed players a fun experience and then jerking it away. You can't yo-yo average players around with heavy buffs followed by heavy nerfs and expect them to stick around.
So, she will quit if she cant solo an heroic? Heroics being done solo was never part of the game design. The fact some can in great gear is one thing, but to be able to casually solo group content as a reason to quit is another issue, but not with the game design.

My wife plays too, and feels things are too easy, she said, "boss fights use to be a challenge"... she is right.

Also, her and I play together, you could help your wife with the heroics and gearing. I also think going to the lower planets to solo the old heroics, will still be very doable.
Click HERE for FREE stuff in SWTOR, including 7 free days as a subscriber. For more information, click HERE.

Draqsko's Avatar


Draqsko
11.16.2015 , 01:20 PM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by Themanthatisi View Post
I am not going to argue your point, but you have to agree, if they allow OP companions to go on, that would only generate more rage later. Your point, otherwise, is valid.
They should have waiting to fix the bugs first, or prioritized them above the balance changes.

Doing the opposite has far greater potential to generate rage.

Themanthatisi's Avatar


Themanthatisi
11.16.2015 , 01:26 PM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by Draqsko View Post
They should have waiting to fix the bugs first, or prioritized them above the balance changes.

Doing the opposite has far greater potential to generate rage.
Well, I agree, disagree and agree.
Click HERE for FREE stuff in SWTOR, including 7 free days as a subscriber. For more information, click HERE.

Draqsko's Avatar


Draqsko
11.16.2015 , 01:37 PM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by Themanthatisi View Post
Well, I agree, disagree and agree.
Here's hoping they roll a stealth bug fix in then tonight, or the forums gonna see a lot of people complaining about companions being useless again.

The armor rating thing HAS to be fixed ASAP, especially if these heal changes are as large as people are saying. Before, companion healers had the potential to keep up in heroics if you maxed them in influence. Now, probably not so much if they don't get that armor fixed.

Psychopyro's Avatar


Psychopyro
11.16.2015 , 01:52 PM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by Themanthatisi View Post
So, she will quit if she cant solo an heroic? Heroics being done solo was never part of the game design. .
Pre 4.0, I would agree with you. But the new H2 has a solo achievement using no buffs. The demo livestream had the devs showcasing soloing H2s.

Since they have not said 'Hey this is the design intent', then all we have is what they have shown. And so far all they have shown is that you can solo H2 and you get achievement for soloing H2.

Also, lets face it, the grind is awful. If they are now intending to force people to group for these, it will make the grind even more unbearable...
OK fine... I'll post my referral link in protest.

ScarletBlaze's Avatar


ScarletBlaze
11.16.2015 , 01:57 PM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by Themanthatisi View Post
So, she will quit if she cant solo an heroic? Heroics being done solo was never part of the game design. The fact some can in great gear is one thing, but to be able to casually solo group content as a reason to quit is another issue, but not with the game design.

My wife plays too, and feels things are too easy, she said, "boss fights use to be a challenge"... she is right.

Also, her and I play together, you could help your wife with the heroics and gearing. I also think going to the lower planets to solo the old heroics, will still be very doable.
There is an achievement in the new heroic that you have to solo to get. If it is not able to be soloed then the achievement should not be there.

I run things mostly with my boyfriend but at the moment he is in basic so I doing things solo until he can play and was considering doing the heroic for the achievement but if it is not able to be done then people will feel that bioware put in an achievement that cannot be done.
A southern girl is a girl who knows full well that she can open a door for herself but prefers for the gentleman to do it because it demonstrates a sense of respect. Guild Roleplays: http://republicexplorerscorp.enjin.com/activity
Referral Link: http://www.swtor.com/r/vLlZlR

XiamaraSimi's Avatar


XiamaraSimi
11.16.2015 , 01:59 PM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by Themanthatisi View Post
Also, her and I play together, you could help your wife with the heroics and gearing. I also think going to the lower planets to solo the old heroics, will still be very doable.
Just wanted to pop in to comment here, not everyone has 2 gaming rigs. I know quite a few people who only have one, that family members have to take turns using.

Might want to consider that before flippantly tossing out "You could help her do it"...

TUXs's Avatar


TUXs
11.16.2015 , 02:00 PM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by ThorgrimLutgen View Post
I find it quite staggering that this kind of thing slips through even the most incompetent QA net.
Bioware is always full of surprises
All warfare is based on deception If his forces are united, separate them If you are far from the enemy, make him believe you are near A leader leads by example not by force
My referral code: here What you get: here (1 FREE transfer 7-day FREE sub FREE Jumpstart and Preferred Bundles)

EricMusco's Avatar


EricMusco
11.16.2015 , 02:02 PM | #20 This is the last staff post in this thread.  
Quote: Originally Posted by Ghisallo View Post
First... Eric, thank you for actually speaking about the elephant in the room. Most MMOs I have played would have just let the threads run on, say nothing, launch patch and move.

Second... HOWEVER, questions. For people who have a basic understanding of MMO design the issue was obvious. Maybe not the exact cause but we were like "holy junk this is not right." So... First... how did such an obvious issue get pushed to live? Wasnit a QA issue? Time crunch issue? Second... Is this the "real" issue or a band-aid?

I ask number 2 because sometimes the "real" cause is unknown at first but you know you have to at least address the symptoms. If you do not know the real cause of the issue you have to make a fix that works "for now"

I ask the second question because this change will be a rather large shock to some and people can only sustain so many of them.
Hey Ghisallo,

Good questions, let me take a stab at them.

First answer - This wasn't a QA issue as it isn't a bug. Our goal with Fallen Empire was to ensure that all of our story content was very accessible to all players, new and old. The power of Companions was certainly a part of that, and so we do want them to be strong. However, we went a bit too far on the strong side, and need to bring that back in line.

Second answer - You can kind of see from the first answer that this will work to fix the issue and not be a band-aid as it is just a question of balancing. Now, it is always possible we will make future tweaks, but this should bring Companions more in line. They will still be strong, but they will not overshadow the power of a player.

-eric
Eric Musco | Community Manager
Follow us on Twitter @SWTOR | Like us on Facebook
[Contact Us] [Rules of Conduct] [F.A.Q.]