Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

What the EF is wrong with tanking?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Roles > Tanking
What the EF is wrong with tanking?

Dallyoop
12.19.2011 , 10:15 AM | #31
I have always played a tank in every MMO I have ever been in. But I LOVE tanking in this game with my trooper vanguard. It is so much fun.

I am only level 25 and I am having a blast. If there is multiples close together I will open with a mortar volley. If not then I just plug one with a grenade and just start tabbing through targets, Using that taunt (shock something or other, can't remember the name) then I will harpoon a separate ranged class in. Use my AOE explosions, stock strike, ect. It's really easy so long as you remember to rotate through the targets and of course if the DPS isn't going insane on the mobs right off the bat. Which is usually the case...

Tanking is so much fun that I think I am gonna roll a Jedi Guardian too. Who doesn't wanna run around with a glow stick?

Only complaint I have right now is that all my trooper armor is so mismatched that I look like a roll fruit life savors.

themonkeyiam
12.19.2011 , 11:06 AM | #32
Im actually having the opposite "problem" of the op. My Jedi Shadow seems to grab aggro from everyone while fighting just by being in my tank technique.
This is great except I always seem to be in groups without a healer.

SsQNemrod
12.20.2011 , 12:12 AM | #33
My question has been partially answered but just for confimation:

I don't have to tank EVERY mob, just the golden ones and if possible some of the hard (silver?) ones too?

I am duoing with a friend of mine we play as BH PT (me) and he plays a Sorc healer, and we tried to duo Hammer Station with our companions out, he said it should be ok.
Well, the first larger group with 2 golden robots was the end for us, either I died because all were pounding on me or he died because all the non-golden mobs were killing him. So in a full group the DPS would kill the non-elite mobs while I keep the big guns occupied, right?

Emptus
12.20.2011 , 11:08 AM | #34
It is possible to tank Hammer Station, and most other Flashpoints as a Guardian and actually hold aggro on all the mobs. Remember that unlike that other mmo not every mob in the encounter is a facepounding elite and don't worry too much about your DPS.

The main tip is to open with Force Sweep and use it on every CD, use tab to shift targets and don't be afraid to taunt things back. The "old school" tip of facing your enemies away from your party is always a good idea, and try to keep at least one of your snap focus abilities (force leap or combat focus) on CD for those "got to grab it now" instances when your taunt is on CD. Remember: Blade Storm can be used at range to pickup targets as they start to turn from you, and be ready to shift your guard from one player to another as the fight progresses. Oh and Freezing Force isn't just for PVP. It can buy you an extra second of time for you other abilities to come off CD.

It's certainly harder to tank in SWTOR than it is in WoW now, but I wouldn't say it's harder than WoW ever was. After all there was a time when the only AoE tanking ability was thunderclap.

If it's got an aggro table -- you can tank it. Learning to tank takes some time and will cost you wipes. Don't worry about it; learn from your mistakes.
"In the face of evil, complacency is compliance."

Fallenlore
12.27.2011 , 02:35 PM | #35
Been covered in this thread already I'm sure.

1) Don't worry about ALL the mobs, normal and weak mobs can run all over the place for all I care. They don't do much damage and they get aoe'ed down anyways.
2) Just focus on the Elite or Harder mobs and make sure you have aggro on those.
3) Use CC if possible
4) Tank facing your group so you know if a mob strays
5) Tab target through the Elites and make sure you hit each one.
6) Keep Guard on the highest threat party member. If someone always pulls aggro, put Guard on them
7) Just make sure you are the first one into the fight

Guaritorr
12.28.2011 , 02:59 PM | #36
Quote: Originally Posted by Electroflux View Post
I can not tank properly for the life of me ... and my party members.

There seems to be no threat meter or even an indication other then the person getting shot that has aggro. Threat is like a pain in the butt, especially AOE threat. I'm level 20 Jedi Guardian and I just tanked Hammer Station but I have ZERO AOE threat abilities and sometimes when someone grabs aggro i just smash buttons and i still cannot grab the aggro off.

This is just annoying and it doesn't make any sense. Jedi Guardians have hardly any proper abilities.
I tanked hammer a level under the instance level just fine as a Juggernaut... until the last boss... gathering those adds is nigh impossible with one aoe move (smash for juggs, force sweep i think for guards).

We worked it out so i'd grab what I could, our inquisitor would knock anything he could off the ledge, and whatever was left was aoe'd by our bounty hunter. It wasn't too hard, but to tank adds like that in a fight where you've got to watch your movement, with a fair amount of mechanics going on, with a single aoe move is pretty painful.

Later on you get an aoe taunt (i think talents bring it down to a 30 second cooldown) and a cleave to help out.

On a small side note, aoe tanking on most other fights is fairly simple. As long as everyone is attacking the focus target and not aoeing, just a smash every 12 seconds seems to hold mobs just fine while I focus on the burn target. A force pull would be nice though, those lone ranged mobs who won't move with me are the bane of my existence

Edit:

Quote: Originally Posted by SsQNemrod View Post
My question has been partially answered but just for confimation:

I don't have to tank EVERY mob, just the golden ones and if possible some of the hard (silver?) ones too?

I am duoing with a friend of mine we play as BH PT (me) and he plays a Sorc healer, and we tried to duo Hammer Station with our companions out, he said it should be ok.
Well, the first larger group with 2 golden robots was the end for us, either I died because all were pounding on me or he died because all the non-golden mobs were killing him. So in a full group the DPS would kill the non-elite mobs while I keep the big guns occupied, right?
I forgot to mention, CC is your best friend. Your sorc healer should have a whirlwindish move on a 1 min cooldown that cc's for 1 minute (breaks on damage). I'd charge in and aoe, and as soon as you get aggro, have him cc one golden robot. From there kill the weaker ones and then the golden dude.

Me and my friends found out on our first hammer run in beta, that CC is awesome in SWTOR.

Edit 2: I also like to pop a quick saber ward there. The mitigation cooldowns in this game all seem to be on short cooldowns, so don't be afraid to use 1-2 on a tougher pull, they'll probably be back up for next pull anyway.