Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Warning/Question About Chapter 9 Romance

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Warning/Question About Chapter 9 Romance

Max_Killjoy
10.26.2015 , 05:09 PM | #101
Quote: Originally Posted by Eleonora View Post
You're just not nearly as smart or clever as you think you are.
But I'm at least as smart you think you are.

Max_Killjoy
10.26.2015 , 05:11 PM | #102
Quote: Originally Posted by XiamaraSimi View Post
I will admit though Bioware does make things weird in possible romances in their games.

In Dragon Age Origins I romanced Alistair from the get go, but in aconversation with Leliana I said i liked shoes, then she wigged out on me for being in love with Alistair ...

Apparently in Orlais saying you like shoes means "I luuuuuuuuuuuurrrrrve you!!!!!!!"

That's exactly the sort of thing I've been talking about with Bioware's history of being unclear or surprising with the NPC/companion interactions too often to trust the most obvious meaning to be true every time.

Max_Killjoy
10.26.2015 , 05:16 PM | #103
Quote: Originally Posted by Kheld View Post
When THERON is speaking to YOU & the CAMERA is on HIM, the implication is that the text refers to THERON.

Bioware didn't design this very well, hence lots of people doing the same as I did.

Your comment was unhelpful & insulting btw. No matter how you try to divert blame to the customers, Bioware screwed this up (as they have so many other things).
This is why I asked if someone had a YouTube link to this scene.

People harping on the "clear meaning of the text" are missing or just deliberately ignoring that the text is not the only information being presented to the player at the moment in question -- there are also cinematic ques that can't be ignored.

The fixation on the text-only interpretation of this scene, to the exclusion of everything else going on on the screen, and the downright angry and aggressive reaction to anyone who was confused by the conflicting textual and cinematic ques, really makes me wonder how many of those angry aggressive people have some sort of "spectrum" disorder, vs how many are just being tools for the sake of being tools, vs how many people just aren't grown up enough to realize that different people can react to the same thing differently without being "stupid" or "illiterate".

But then, there will always be people on these forums who consider it the height of fun to try to make other players the butt of Bioware's mistakes.

Jadescythe
10.26.2015 , 05:19 PM | #104
Quote: Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post

People harping on the "clear meaning of the text" are missing or just deliberately ignoring that the text is not the only information being presented to the player at the moment in question -- there are also cinematic ques that can't be ignored.

The fixation on the text-only interpretation of this scene, to the exclusion of everything else going on on the screen, and the downright angry and aggressive reaction to anyone who was confused by the conflicting textual and cinematic ques, really makes me wonder how many of those angry aggressive people have some sort of "spectrum" disorder, vs how many are just being tools for the sake of being tools, vs how many people just aren't grown up enough to realize that different people can react to the same thing differently without being "stupid" or "illiterate".

But then, there will always be people on these forums who consider it the height of fun to try to make other players the butt of Bioware's mistakes.
When I experienced it, I had to question what would happen. But I know that many answers don't end up the way I expect based on what is said/written in this game, so I picked it to find out expecting to use escape if it went to Theron.
I have opinions and stuff

You could get free stuff with my referral link here

SithKoriandr
10.26.2015 , 05:38 PM | #105

Well, to those who saw [Flirt] I'd like to speak to one of you. (<---see that, it says ONE OF YOU, not "I'd like to speak to you" or "I'd like to speak to Theron") and were right, it only makes sense for them to think "It was obvious, didn't you even read the text?"

There was always clicking on it and ESCing as well for those who couldn't read.

However out of this, we have good news. It's now posted here and on Dulfy. So no one should ever misread it again!
"It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more...than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so *********** what." - Stephen Fry

Pelagia
10.28.2015 , 08:43 AM | #106
Here's my thing:

I'm not here to argue whether or not I screwed up somewhere along the way or defend why I screwed up. Because I do admit to having a lapse in judgement when I got to this part of the chapter on the first toon I ran it with, not noticing my mistake until I saw a Youtube video with the romance lock-in (which I wasn't aware happened at first as this was the first instance of it in the game).

I've remedied my mistake with my most recent run of KOTFE, so I'm not worried about that.
Now, my concern is about if those who missed it will get a second chance, especially those who were romancing one of them since Rishi.

Billupsat
10.28.2015 , 09:04 AM | #107

The options are 100% the same except for one minor deviation.

Option 1: I need to speak with one of you.
Option 2: [Flirt] I need to speak with one of you.

If you follow through logically, its clear a choice of some kind is about to be made between the three people you are in the scene with. Both options can't apply to just Theron just because the camera stopped on him, I'll admit it was a minor cinematographic faux pas but not enough to impair deductive reasoning except for those who don't have it, or make assumptions. Clicking on option one you get an option to select from three people. If we're to follow the logic other posters have suggested, then they should have believed that BOTH options applied to only Theron, and the moment they selected the non-flirt option and had a choice should have realized that it was likely true for the flirt option. Pick option 1, and you choose between the three, or pick option 2 and you choose between the three.

You can't say, I assumed I was talking to Theron so I selected the non-flirt when by the same logic you should have assumed both were directed at Theron because 'the camera stopped on him,' and upon realizing that, that wasn't the case on option 1 they should have realized it was at the very least possible for it not to be the case on option 2.

The people complaining about this are only victims of their incorrect assumptions and not thinking it through.

hadoken
10.28.2015 , 09:11 AM | #108
Quote: Originally Posted by Billupsat View Post
The options are 100% the same except for one minor deviation.

Option 1: I need to speak with one of you.
Option 2: [Flirt] I need to speak with one of you.

If you follow through logically, its clear a choice of some kind is about to be made between the three people you are in the scene with. Both options can't apply to just Theron just because the camera stopped on him, I'll admit it was a minor cinematographic faux pas but not enough to impair deductive reasoning except for those who don't have it, or make assumptions. Clicking on option one you get an option to select from three people. If we're to follow the logic other posters have suggested, then they should have believed that BOTH options applied to only Theron, and the moment they selected the non-flirt option and had a choice should have realized that it was likely true for the flirt option. Pick option 1, and you choose between the three, or pick option 2 and you choose between the three.

You can't say, I assumed I was talking to Theron so I selected the non-flirt when by the same logic you should have assumed both were directed at Theron because 'the camera stopped on him,' and upon realizing that, that wasn't the case on option 1 they should have realized it was at the very least possible for it not to be the case on option 2.

The people complaining about this are only victims of their incorrect assumptions and not thinking it through.
You can certainly believe all that, or you can believe that some people who have been playing this game since beta and have never had a flirt option work this way expected it to work the exact same way it's always worked in the past.

Ultimately, you were correct so CONGRATULATIONS but please stop trying to make it sound like everyone else is an idiot.

Billupsat
10.28.2015 , 09:16 AM | #109
Quote: Originally Posted by hadoken View Post
You can certainly believe all that, or you can believe that some people who have been playing this game since beta and have never had a flirt option work this way expected it to work the exact same way it's always worked in the past.

Ultimately, you were correct so CONGRATULATIONS but please stop trying to make it sound like everyone else is an idiot.
Not everyone else had this problem, a handful of people on the forums =/= everyone else. As far as I can tell, most players seem to have understood it just fine.

hadoken
10.28.2015 , 09:18 AM | #110
Quote: Originally Posted by Billupsat View Post
Not everyone else had this problem, a handful of people on the forums =/= everyone else. As far as I can tell, most players seem to have understood it just fine.
Everyone else that didn't make the correct assumption you did. Course if you were so good at reading comprehension I shouldn't have had to make this clear to you either :P