Please tell me you're not stealing my character slots...

jkutswings

it only takes a couple seconds to switch which characters are active in case you want to play an inactive one.

Really? Are you sure?

Are you absolutely sure you can make an active character inactive in order to make a different one active?

Can you do it often?

And if you can, what's the point of having restrictions on the number of active characters?

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dev Post

Hey folks,

Thank you for catching this. The AHQ post stating that it reverts to 14 was in error, as many of you have pointed out that should say 16. That was a typo, we have passed it onto the team over there to have it corrected. Apologies for setting off alarm bells!

-eric

They go “inactive”. You get to choose which you want activate, up to the Pref limit.

The other inactives can then only be activated by re-subbing.

And no, you can’t make an active one inactive, then choose a different one to activate. They anticipated that obvious workaround. :)

Awesome, thank you for clarifying!

And thanks to Eric for clearing up the 14 vs 16 confusion! Gotta transfer a couple chars off while it's cheap :)

Hey folks,

Thank you for catching this. The AHQ post stating that it reverts to 14 was in error, as many of you have pointed out that should say 16. That was a typo, we have passed it onto the team over there to have it corrected. Apologies for setting off alarm bells!

-eric

Thank you very much for the response. Thumbs up for keeping it at a ceiling of 16.

But to be specific, does this mean that all accounts who are not subscribers will have a ceiling of 16, without purchasing unlocks? Or will the current setup remain (6 + up to 10 purchased)? I'm ok with it either way, but I wanted to know before I buy any additional character slots.

Edited by jkutswings

Hey folks,

-eric

So if I understand things correctly then, if a sub increases the number of slots that they have using cartel coins to get to the new server cap of 40, that they will loose access to 24 of those slots if they switch from subscriber to preferred status.

So, you will not take any slots away from people now, but you have no problem taking them away from people in the future.

Either that, or I misunderstood what you are trying to say.

So if I understand things correctly then, if a sub increases the number of slots that they have using cartel coins to get to the new server cap of 40, that they will loose access to 24 of those slots if they switch from subscriber to preferred status.

So, you will not take any slots away from people now, but you have no problem taking them away from people in the future.

Either that, or I misunderstood what you are trying to say.

They have always done this. I went preferred two weeks and I had to choose which toons I wanted to use and yes I know you are upset you brought more character slots, so did I, but they cannot give preferred the same amount that they allow subs.

I just choose my main ones and the ones that were important for me for those two weeks and then resub and was able to access all mine again.

i HAVE 41 toons current on one server. i had 22 on one and 22 on another Aussie server before merge.When they merge i had 44 toons before expansion. I have already delete 3 characters. I don't gain any thing on slots wise, Thanks!!!!!. Now i have to delete toons now after promise you wont make us delete toons. I don't gained any benefits yet only stories.. is there a solution to create a new character when expansion hit?

They have always done this. I went preferred two weeks and I had to choose which toons I wanted to use and yes I know you are upset you brought more character slots, so did I, but they cannot give preferred the same amount that they allow subs.

I just choose my main ones and the ones that were important for me for those two weeks and then resub and was able to access all mine again.

I understand that, but they have never taken away slots that have been paid for with cartel coins before. There is a difference between having a different number of regular slots depending on your account status, but taking away slots that were paid for with cartel coins is still wrong, and I am surprised that they have decided to do this.

I also think that it is a poor marketing decision, and is a disincentive to people like me who might otherwise purchase new slots, but now will avoid doing so because of this policy.

I understand that, but they have never taken away slots that have been paid for with cartel coins before. There is a difference between having a different number of regular slots depending on your account status, but taking away slots that were paid for with cartel coins is still wrong, and I am surprised that they have decided to do this.

I also think that it is a poor marketing decision, and is a disincentive to people like me who might otherwise purchase new slots, but now will avoid doing so because of this policy.

They don't take away slots. Read the yellow post before posting your own rant.

They don't take away slots. Read the yellow post before posting your own rant.

I read the post, and -eric said that the new limit would be 16 slots for a preferred player. That means that if I bought new slots to increase my limit to the new cap of 40 as a sub, that I would loose 18 slots that I paid for if I let my sub lapse and my status changed to preferred.

If you read something different in -erics post then enlighten me, but I still think that I am making a relevant point, and I do not plan on buying any new slots as a result of this policy.

I read the post, and -eric said that the new limit would be 16 slots for a preferred player. That means that if I bought new slots to increase my limit to the new cap of 40 as a sub, that I would loose 18 slots that I paid for if I let my sub lapse and my status changed to preferred.

If you read something different in -erics post then enlighten me, but I still think that I am making a relevant point, and I do not plan on buying any new slots as a result of this policy.

You are correct, when you stop paying for the game you get limits imposed on your available character slots. Your status changes and you lose access to things. That's how it is supposed to work.

If you paid for 10 extra slots, you would still have those, resulting in a limit of 16 available active characters as a preferred player. If they are raising the base available slots for all subs from 12 to 30, then there is no issue whatsoever.

At this time, it's not clear how many extra slots you would have to purchase to reach the new server cap of 40, but what Eric is stating is that if you are preferred your maximum active is capped at 16. The current maximum of extra slots is 10, so this preserves the existing value for anyone who has already maxed out their character slots.

If that is unacceptable to you, then you should not buy more than 10 extra slots.

You combine two thing together. Character slots and active characters. To make summary:

All will be able to have up to 40 character slots. You will not loose any slots when you drop your sub. But once you do, all your charters became inactive. And you will only be able to active 16 chars you want to play. Then you cant change your selection until you sub again. So you dont loose anything, you will only be locked away from some of chars, it works similar to escrow.

Edited by ShawDou

You are correct, when you stop paying for the game you get limits imposed on your available character slots. Your status changes and you lose access to things. That's how it is supposed to work.

If you paid for 10 extra slots, you would still have those, resulting in a limit of 16 available active characters as a preferred player. If they are raising the base available slots for all subs from 12 to 30, then there is no issue whatsoever.

At this time, it's not clear how many extra slots you would have to purchase to reach the new server cap of 40, but what Eric is stating is that if you are preferred your maximum active is capped at 16. The current maximum of extra slots is 10, so this preserves the existing value for anyone who has already maxed out their character slots.

If that is unacceptable to you, then you should not buy more than 10 extra slots.

It is good to see that you understand. Obviously if the new server cap of 40 is attainable without having to purchase the any more slots, then what they are doing makes sense.

However, if the only way that you can get to the new server limit is by purchasing new level 60's, or by buying more slots, then their policy makes no sense to me, and I since that is unacceptable to me then I doubt that I would purchase more than the 10 slots that I have already bought.

You combine two thing together. Character slots and active characters. To make summary:

All will be able to have up to 40 character slots. You will not loose any slots when you drop your sub. But once you do, all your charters became inactive. And you will only be able to active 16 chars you want to play. Then you cant change your selection until you sub again. So you dont loose anything, you will only be locked away from some of chars, it works similar to escrow.

So, why would anybody pay cartel coins for a slot that they could not use because it is inactive? That makes absolutely not sense to me.

In other words, all slots that have been paid for should always be available to the person that purchased them. To state that purchased slots will be made inactive if a person lets their sub lapse and becomes a preferred player is just wrong in my opinion, and that policy will affect my willingness to purchase new level 60's and new character slots.

So, why would anybody pay cartel coins for a slot that they could not use because it is inactive? That makes absolutely not sense to me.

In other words, all slots that have been paid for should always be available to the person that purchased them. To state that purchased slots will be made inactive if a person lets their sub lapse and becomes a preferred player is just wrong in my opinion, and that policy will affect my willingness to purchase new level 60's and new character slots.

It was like this from the begging. Even now if you have 22 characters, you will be able to use only 16 when you go into pref mode, nothing changed. It is just another restriction you get as preferred and some others are much worse.

And secondly you can buy slots without playing for them by real money. I bought all mine on GTN.

Edited by ShawDou

I agree and it made sense when as preferred you were permitted 6 active chars and had to unlock more char slots to go beyond the 6 active, they can always take away the 6 'free' ones they gave you, BUT if you bought the other 10 (22 total as a sub) then they weren't taking away the 10 you bought cause you had access to 16 active characters.

Now with KOTFE you'll have to unlock more slots beyond the ones you already unlocked,(22) not including a free slot for a 60, so the others you buy will then be taken away from you which makes no sense. With 23 characters they could fairly take away 7 actives cause 7 were free the original 6 for preferred and 1 for the instant 60 the rest you used cartel coins or credits to activate the character slot unlock granting you the ability to make and play an additional character.

Now they can do whatever they like it is their game but it really is bad move to not allow the use of 33 active characters *IF* we pay to unlock those character slots, again 7 being 'free' as preferred plus the one free 60 they give if we are maxed on characters come KOTFE.

At the minimum I think they should raise the number of actives from 16 to something else but letting us use all the character slots we pay for just makes sense and with a 40 character limit that number is 33 if we max out potential character slots.

It was like this from the begging. Even now if you have 22 characters, you will be able to use only 16 when you go into pref mode, nothing changed. It is just another restriction you get as preferred and some others are much worse.

And secondly you can buy slots without playing for them by real money. I bought all mine on GTN.

Yes can be brought off GNT. However either way BW has been paid real money. If I brought two character slots and put them on GNT BW has lost nothing at all.

You are indeed right about how character slots work now and what happens if you end sub, I agree with the other poster though and think its wrong. BW should be encouraging players to buy stuff not penalizing them. I am not for

giving f2p more stuff free, but in this case I don't see it as free as someone has paid real money.

Moving on, I am thankful that BW have made a post about this error of 14 characters and corrected it to 16. A quick response such as that is appreciated.

Edited by DreadtechSavant

During last NYC cantina, IIRC, Bacus was talking about 40-50 slots for subscribers.

I think that 40 is the baseline and 50 is for people who got 10 unlocks (these who currently have 22 character slots).

So, I don't think any slots will be removed, but purchased slots will be above baseline 40

P.S. My bad, it was Eric in "SWTOR Knights of the Fallen Empire Sept 30 livestream "

Edited by NordBlast

During last NYC cantina, IIRC, Bacus was talking about 40-50 slots for subscribers.

I think that 40 is the baseline and 50 is for people who got 10 unlocks (these who currently have 22 character slots).

So, I don't think any slots will be removed, but purchased slots will be above baseline 40

The FAQ says:

We have increased the maximum number of character slots available to subscribers to 40 per server.

40 is more then enough, I will only use five more or so myself.

Here, let me try to exlpain it to you.

If you are preferred you get 6 slots.

If you are a subscriber, you get 6 more "free" slots for a total of 12.

If you pay to unlock 10 more slots, you have 22.

If you drop down to preferred, you "lose" the extra six "free" slots you got for being subscribed, but you keep the extra 10 that you paid for, and you have 16.

With the new slot cap, you get 18 more possible slots as a subscriber, for a total of 40.

If the additional 18 also are "free" for being a subscriber, then "losing" those 24 extra "free" slots if you drop to preferred is not a problem.

If you have to pay to unlock those extra slots, then as a subscriber you still have 12 "free" slots, and (potentially) 28 purchased slots.

If you then drop to preferred and can only have 16 slots, you sre still losing the 6 "free" slots you got for being a subscriber, but you are also losing 18 extra slots that you paid for. And that is a problem.

Edited by Adric_the_Red

The FAQ says:

We have increased the maximum number of character slots available to subscribers to 40 per server.

40 is more then enough, I will only use five more or so myself.

I made mistake, it was Eric in SWTOR Knights of the Fallen Empire Sept 30 livestream, he said this:

Character limit – if you are already at 22 character limit and you create a new L60 character it will add a new slot for you up to a cap of 40-50 character per server. If you don’t want to make new L60 characters you can buy more character slots.

So, this why I think 40 will be baseline, and 50 is for players with current 22 slots

Exly, I'm totally with you.

Let's just ask Eric...

Eric,

1) When you say 40 slots max, what is the breakdown between "free" (to Subs) and purchasable?

Is it:

a) 12 free + max 28 unlocks?

b) X free + max Y unlocks for total max of 40. In which case, what are X and Y?

2) If it is (a) and I unlock all 28, what happens if I go Preferred?

How many can I access then, is it:

a) 6 free + all of the 28 I unlocked = 34?

b) 6 free + 10 max = 16 (as your last reply might suggest)

or

c) ...?

The FAQ as it is now (corrected), indicates that it is 2b. To me, this is a different philosophy than what has been applied in the past: if you buy something, you keep it. As of today, if I bought 10 as a sub, I keep, and can use all 10 when I switch to Pref. But now you are saying if I buy 28, then switch to Pref, I can only use 10 of them? If so, I suggest you rethink this new policy.