Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

RIP pvp

AlrikFassbauer
09.28.2015 , 12:50 PM | #31
Quote: Originally Posted by DirtyDiggler View Post
I'm still LOL at the sorc + sin changes
Same here.
<S-key to victory> Because flying with s-foils is more fun.

We are the result of our experiences.

DarthOvertone
09.28.2015 , 01:25 PM | #32
Quote: Originally Posted by WickedImage View Post
looking for other game suggestions mostly, k *******?
I've been playing BF4 for my PvP fix for some time now. Can't wait till SW Battlefront drops, already have my pre-order in.

SWTOR is fun to check out every couple weeks or so. Play a few matches, be reminded that nothing has really changed much, and then take another break.
Alphamaul, Alphanoob, Alphazen - Garbage S1 Champion
Ebon Hawk | Harbinger
SWTOR 4.3: There has been a PvP Awakening. Have you felt it?

Zoom_VI
09.28.2015 , 03:31 PM | #33
Quote: Originally Posted by Lalainnia View Post
Almost forgot GW2 doesn't have the awful forsaken lag fps drops w/e it is that haunts swtor and that alone can make any experience 10000000x better.
Amusingly GW2's engine is derived from the same Hero Engine that SWTOR is derived from.

Although it is worth noting that guild war's entire world design hinges on being able to handle large amounts of players simulteaously, whereas SWTOR is built on small scale.

Although yeah it's really annoying that GW2 has higher fidelity than SWTOR yet puts substantially less load on my rig. Especially once I locked the FPS at 30 so that my computer didn't incinerate itself trying to render the above pic at 70 fps.
Crinn

Sanity is for the weak minded.

Icykill_
09.28.2015 , 07:00 PM | #34
Quote: Originally Posted by Lalainnia View Post
My biggest probs with GW2 is the lack of any new pve content which should be changing with the xpac and getting gold which isn't that hard tbh but swtor spoiled me with how easy it is to get credits from dailes ops and selling decos.

As for the pvp learning curve imho it's no different than swtor if anything it emphasizes on learning the other classes abilities even more than swtor. GW2 has it's own op class combinations etc like celestial d/d elementalists essential sorcs here but all 3 specs combined, the game has its class balancing issues but imo no where near as bad as swtor. Really comes down to if someone is willing to start over again and be new. On the bright side it's possible to get your own map or hop in with someone you might know and practice.
Pve isn't an issue for me... I'm pvp all the way baby

Icykill_
09.28.2015 , 07:03 PM | #35
Quote: Originally Posted by DirtyDiggler View Post
I'm still LOL at the sorc + sin changes
Same... and I main both classes... I had to pick my self up off the floor from laughing so hard when I read them

Icykill_
09.28.2015 , 07:05 PM | #36
Quote: Originally Posted by Zoom_VI View Post
Amusingly GW2's engine is derived from the same Hero Engine that SWTOR is derived from.

Although it is worth noting that guild war's entire world design hinges on being able to handle large amounts of players simulteaously, whereas SWTOR is built on small scale.

Although yeah it's really annoying that GW2 has higher fidelity than SWTOR yet puts substantially less load on my rig. Especially once I locked the FPS at 30 so that my computer didn't incinerate itself trying to render the above pic at 70 fps.
I wonder though if they started with a beta model of the engine and modified it so much that improvements to it can never be implimented... Like Bio did with Swtor

Zoom_VI
09.28.2015 , 08:05 PM | #37
Quote: Originally Posted by Icykill_ View Post
I wonder though if they started with a beta model of the engine and modified it so much that improvements to it can never be implimented... Like Bio did with Swtor
The beta/alpha starting point is meaningless. It's where they went from there that matters. ArenaNet had certainly already decided on focusing on large scale events when they began development which means that they where designing the engine to be as smooth and efficient as possible from the very beginning because they knew their game depended on it.

Bioware on the other hand focused on giving a Mass Effect cinematic experience, an probably never really put much into optimizing the engine's performance for large groups.

Also see this post.
Crinn

foxmob
09.28.2015 , 08:54 PM | #38
where are those sorts of dev explanations/interactions?

that was a good read.
Krackerjack/Deinon/Antiphon
JC -- Harb -- TEH

Zoom_VI
09.29.2015 , 07:07 AM | #39
Quote: Originally Posted by foxmob View Post
where are those sorts of dev explanations/interactions?

that was a good read.
Well given the responses that post brought, the poor devs probably got traumatized.
Crinn

Transcendent
09.29.2015 , 01:13 PM | #40
Bioware on the other hand focused on giving a Mass Effect cinematic experience, an probably never really put much into optimizing the engine's performance for large groups.

Also see this post.
Downside is, Mass Effect looks better and the transition between playing and cinematics is smoother. That's a good explanation, however I can't help wonder if they limited themselves from the outset by not having a 64-bit client able to cope with larger mipmaps / texture atlases so resolution wasn't a huge issue. Mind you, having low poly character models also doesn't aid things overall.

Why don't we see these types of posts on the forums now, except when Alex or Tait decide to step in and explain things in more detail? Because BioWare PR likes Blogs™. Actually, who am I kidding, they don't have a PR team, it's just some interns.
REFERRAL LINK - Previous subscribers get seven days of subscription, one Complimentary Character Transfer (and more unlocks) - New players get a Jumpstart bundle with unlocks, for free!- Literally the small print