PAX Prime Make-up Livestream - August 26th

EricMusco

• Dev Post

Hey folks,

I wanted to let you know about the exact details of our livestream planned for next week:

Where: http://www.twitch.tv/swtor

When: 5PM PDT

Who: Bruce Maclean, Michael Backus, Ben Scott, and myself

What:

• We will be showing you gameplay from parts of Chapter 3
  • The team will answer questions from chat throughout the stream
  • A shareable link for the 2015 PAX Prime Cantina Tour Pack, which includes the PAX exclusive Prinawe Aggregate
  • A first reveal of a familiar face you will see in Knights of the Fallen Empire
  • We will be talking some nitty-gritty details about how Companions will work in KotFE, both current and future

Looking forward to seeing you all there. As I mentioned before, we will also post a recap here on the forums after the stream of some of the points we discussed.

-eric

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Middle of the night for Europe. Great.

i really dont understand this complaint.. so you cant get to see it live. it is always recorded and uploaded to youtube/twitch/dulfy to watch to your hearts content. so you cant get to get your questions thrown out to the live stream team, they only answer .01% of the questions anyway and it usually has to do with what they ate at work that day..

Hey folks,

I wanted to let you know about the exact details of our livestream planned for next week:

Where: http://www.twitch.tv/swtor

Who: Bruce Maclean, Michael Backus, Ben Scott, and myself

What:

• We will be showing you gameplay from parts of Chapter 3
  • The team will answer questions from chat throughout the stream
  • A shareable link for the 2015 PAX Prime Cantina Tour Pack, which includes the PAX exclusive Prinawe Aggregate
  • A first reveal of a familiar face you will see in Knights of the Fallen Empire
  • We will be talking some nitty-gritty details about how Companions will work in KotFE, both current and future

Looking forward to seeing you all there. As I mentioned before, we will also post a recap here on the forums after the stream of some of the points we discussed.

-eric

Could you go in more detail about how this steam is going to be set up? Do you plan starting by showing us companion stuff or story? I would love to watch it but I don't want any story spoilers. The story is what brought me back to the game. I'm sure I'm not the only one who doesn't want to see story spoilers.

i really dont understand this complaint.. so you cant get to see it live. it is always recorded and uploaded to youtube/twitch/dulfy to watch to your hearts content. so you cant get to get your questions thrown out to the live stream team, they only answer .01% of the questions anyway and it usually has to do with what they ate at work that day..

It's the principle. This is supposed to be a reveal of major features in an expansion they've been hyping for months and they choose to do it at a time that works for a fraction of their players.

Bearing in mind PAX Prime is a 4 day event, why exactly couldn't they do it at 3pm on the Saturday? Reasonable time for everyone, including (to a much lesser extent) people in Australia and New Zealand.

Edited by Nothematic

It's the principle. This is supposed to be a reveal of major features in an expansion they've been hyping for months and they choose to do it at a time that works for a fraction of their players.

Bearing in mind PAX Prime is a 4 day event, why exactly couldn't they do it at 3pm on the Saturday?

It's because Big Entertainment is VERY California-centric, and sometimes forgets that everything else actually has people living there.

Bearing in mind PAX Prime is a 4 day event, why exactly couldn't they do it at 3pm on the Saturday? Reasonable time for everyone, including (to a much lesser extent) people in Australia and New Zealand.

A fraction? Like...9/10ths?

I never made that claim at all...you can see EXACTLY what I did say though.

You made the claim that the time works for 9/10ths of their players. Implying that the 9 European servers make up 1/10th of the games population, which is obviously nonsense.

Edited by Nothematic

I never made that claim at all...you can see EXACTLY what I did say though.

HK-55??

Theron Shan. He's familiar and has been as involved as Lana in story content recently. If he isn't announced as companion, he'll either be confirmed as a major NPC or as being killed early-on.

I'm betting on him.

Hk-55 and Darth Marr have, technically already been shown in official screenshots.

And I want to see Theron again.

This is for the cancelled cantina event that we here in the city don't get to attend, would you say that they should change the cantina event so that it is on your time? No, that would be ridiculous. This stream is for those of us here in this region, sorry you don't live here, it is quite beautiful, but this is our cantina event. So, the stream time is set for us here on the west coast of the Americas.

Eager Statement: I look forward to the stream. But I must ask something.

Query: Has there been any consideration to do the streams on YouTube instead of Twitch?

Explanation: I ask for a few reasons. The most important reason is that Twitch is still using Flash. Flash is a lot less secure these days, while YouTube has been upgraded to use HTML5 video.

Addendum: Flash also eats up bandwidth. Too many residents of the U.S. still don't even have 5Mb internet yet. It's really hard to watch the stream at 240p (which looks terrible), and it takes almost two hours to load the archive video at a high enough resolution to be able to see things clearly, only to end up being able to watch only half the stream, then wait another hour or two for the other half of the archived stream to load. HTML5 video however, uses very little bandwidth. I can watch an MST3K episode (~1.5 hours long) and download my graphics drivers on my lousy 1.5Mb internet and have no trouble at all. I couldn't do that when YouTube used Flash. Star Wars.com used YouTube to stream the Celebration Anaheim. I was able to watch that with great ease at 480p and had no interruptions (except the ones on their end).

Continuation: Another reason is, the Twitch app. It's not good. Let's be honest. I watch the SWTOR stream on my computer because I can't watch it on my phone due to the app. It could very well be the fault of Flash. I tried to watch a SWTOR stream once, it was horrible. I was on AT&T 4G at full strength and couldn't watch it. When watching the Star Wars Celebration Anaheim stream, I was able to go from my house, to town, and back home, and not miss one second of the stream.

Statement: My final reason is that if we want to skip to a certain part while watching an archived video, we won't have to worry about the video crashing on us. If we want to skip the play through of a part of the upcoming story, we would be able to do so with the HTML5 video. As it stands, with Twitch, the video will crash if you seek too many times at once.

Request: Please use YouTube as your stream source from now on. If it's decided to go back to Twitch when (or if) they decide to change to HTML5 video, that's fine by me. But please, consider the security of your viewers, and their ability to watch the stream.

Darth Marr?

The saying of a 'Familiar face' in a story is usually to imply a character who we havn't seen in a while. So I think that would cross of Marr, Theron and Lana. With the cut from the Sacrifice trailer, I'm betting on Malgus coming back. And if it is... He's receiving the bounty hunter

Hey folks,

Very convenient timing for your paying customers in Europe. I'm sure many will turn up in the middle of the night during the week.

This is for the cancelled cantina event that we here in the city don't get to attend, would you say that they should change the cantina event so that it is on your time? No, that would be ridiculous. This stream is for those of us here in this region, sorry you don't live here, it is quite beautiful, but this is our cantina event. So, the stream time is set for us here on the west coast of the Americas.

Nobody would care if they were just doing the usual Cantina things, dodging questions and talking crap for an hour or two (like they did at Gamescom in Germany) , but hey plan to reveal acutal and vital Information regarding Kotfe. This concerns the entire community and its just unacceptable to time it so poorly.

Frankly the fact that they're doing this in place of a Cantina should be irrelevant. The fact alone that they wanted to release "nitty gritty" details about their expansion at a Cantina is ridiculous. What exactly would stop them from doing a Cantina on Saturday, even at the same time?

Plus I'd love to go to a Cantina. The only problem is the last time they did one in the UK was February 2013.

Edited by Nothematic

Frankly the fact that they're doing this in place of a Cantina should be irrelevant. The fact alone that they wanted to release "nitty gritty" details about their expansion at a Cantina is ridiculous. What exactly would stop them from doing a Cantina on Saturday, even at the same time?

This is to make up for them cancelling the entire event. got it yet? They cancelled the event that was scheduled, this is to make up for it. For us here in this region. Do you understand that part yet? For us, here in this region. Not in Europe, it's for us, you live in Europe, we do not, so if they set it to be amicable for Europeans, then it wouldn't be good for us here, do you understand how timezones even work?

And the last broadcast was at like 1-4AM in the Americas... what's your point? I don't even remember a live stream ever being over the weekend because, newsflash, these guys are allowed to have some time off as well.

I swear, people just complain for the sake of complaining.