Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Least Needed Crew Skill

DaeHanMusa
08.10.2015 , 02:25 AM | #1
Hey folks,
Hope all is well. I have 10 or so toons on two servers and I am trying to figure-out which "Crew Skills" need the least toons (not companion numbers) for the job. I am completely self-sufficient now in all areas, but I want to trim the fat...Would Investigation and Diplomacy "really" only need one designated toon?

If so, are there any "other" skills that only need one?
If not, what is the "Minimum" of toons needed towards skills like Investigation and such?

Thanks in advance.

DomiSotto
08.10.2015 , 06:23 AM | #2
Depends on what you are crafting and why. Now that gearing is trivial, the two skills that I use and need supply for to just sustain my Legacy are the BioChem and Armstech (Augments/Kits). The Cybertech that was absolutely necessary now is relegated to making the grenades for PvP.

From purple mats selling/supply standpoint, I run Slicing, Diplomacy and Treasure Hunting on multiple characters, since the materials sell for more. Investigation is one skill that is the least useful, both from the price of mats and the supply. I used to do a lot of UWT, but now without having to craft the end-game gear, it lost its attractiveness.

However, the skills that have gift missions are still useful.

I would wait till they announce the changes to the game's crafting before redoing the crafting tbh, because we simply do not know how it is going to pan out, and developing a skill is creds and time.

psandak
08.10.2015 , 10:27 AM | #3
I agree with DomiSotto that it depends on what you craft and why. I also agree that waiting until the expansion might be a saver course.

For someone like me who crafts for sale and profit, I have learned from experience that for every crafting skill that uses a particular material type you need 1.5 characters with that skill to run missions. Examples:
  • Having an Armstech, Armormech, and Cybertech, that's three skills that use scavenging materials. I need 4.5 scavengers to keep a good supply line going. I only have three so I am frequently having to buy materials off the GTN.
  • I have an Artifice and a single Treasure Hunter to feed it and I am consistently buying TH materials (both blue and purple).
  • I also have a Synthweaver, and two archaeology characters and I frequently fall short
  • I have a Biochem and two Bioanalysis characters and I am swimming in materials
  • My armstech occasionally runs out of investigation materials from the one investigation character (one in the same)
  • My augment crafting characters (AT, AM, and SW), NOW have sufficient sliced parts materials because I just got a fifth slicer.
The Ortzid Legacy on The Harbinger
Car'beerd (Guardian) Dalkery (Scoundrel) Blairnah (Sage) Daellia (Merc) and 11 other characters
Understanding Crew Skills / High End Schematics / Best Crew Skills / Crew Skill Money Making / Reverse Engineering Rules / SWTOR Story to date

MSchuyler
08.10.2015 , 11:12 AM | #4
I gotta tell ya my cybertech is STILL busy even with the 12XP. If you are leveling toons you still need one because the comms don't quite cut it at 100 a pop for toon and companion. He fills in the gaps and, not incidentally, makes earpieces. And even though synthweaving is low on my list, he still makes some augments, but you certainly don't need two. And I'd put Armormech in the same category, but somebody has to do Aug Kits and he may as well be the one, plus he does some augmentations as well.

In terms of mission and gathering I agree with psandak that if you're on a roll you need more than one to supply your crafter. Of course it depends on the niche you've chosen, but I find three scavengers and three archaeologists is about right for me. I really do not like Diplomacy because of the Light/Dark missions, but have grown to appreciate Investigation more recently. When I am actively crafting a set of items I like to have three stacks of 99 for each mat on hand and continually send out missions to meet that standard. Stick it all in Legacy Storage and the crafter can easily pull them back out.

One problem with 12XP is that a leveling toon is not going to be good at gathering because he simply does not have enough time or go enough places to keep up to level. In the same vein he's not going to kill as many mobs, pick up and sell as many drops, or get as many credits (slicing or not). And if you throw Stealth in there, too, you've got yourself a poor relation at 55 that will likely need to be subsidized. You can't even send these guys out on missions because they don't have enough credits.

There is a way around that by suspending your leveling for a day and concentrating on gathering and selling certain materials where you can make a million in a day or two (per toon) to get him back up to snuff. Just my basic approach. Hope it's useful to someone.
In America the young are always ready to give to those who are older than themselves the full benefits of their inexperience. -- Oscar Wilde

Mithros
08.10.2015 , 11:14 AM | #5
It's mostly just a matter of math.

Some gathering and mission skills are used by only a single crafting skill.
In theory, those would be the ones that you would need the least amount of.

If you look more closely at those particular skills, you will probably find that you use some less than others and so be able to determine even more accurately which skills you will need less of.

Armstech, for example, uses scavenging, investigation, and slicing (for augments).
Break that down.
What else uses scavenging? Armormech and cybertech.
What else uses slicing? Armormech and synthweaving.
What else uses investigation? Nothing.

So you can put Investigation on the list of "least used skills".

Biochem uses bioanalysis and diplomacy.
What else uses bioanalysis? Nothing.
What else uses diplomacy? Nothing.

So you can add those to the list as well.

But now that you have those skills narrowed down, look at which crafting skill you use more often.

All that said, though, there is no one right answer. Different players may use different skills more or less frequently than others.
That will impact which skills are more or less useful to them.
Free stuff (for you and me)! My referral link.

Beta Squadron 157. The pixel lives on in our hearts.

eartharioch
08.10.2015 , 08:55 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by psandak View Post
I agree with DomiSotto that it depends on what you craft and why. I also agree that waiting until the expansion might be a saver course.

For someone like me who crafts for sale and profit, I have learned from experience that for every crafting skill that uses a particular material type you need 1.5 characters with that skill to run missions. Examples:
[*]I have an Artifice and a single Treasure Hunter to feed it and I am consistently buying TH materials (both blue and purple).
Lol, I have two THs and i still get most of my Midlithe from the GTN...currently bringing up a third. OFC, I get most of my Doonium from the GTN b/c it's cheap, so not really worth logging into my UWT chars as often.
Q: What did the five fingers say to the face?
A: It's a SLAP!
This is not my referral link

psandak
08.11.2015 , 10:26 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by eartharioch View Post
Lol, I have two THs and i still get most of my Midlithe from the GTN...currently bringing up a third. OFC, I get most of my Doonium from the GTN b/c it's cheap, so not really worth logging into my UWT chars as often.
How cheap? Because unless it is under 6k each running UWT missions for the Doonium is worthwhile.
Car'beerd (Guardian) Dalkery (Scoundrel) Blairnah (Sage) Daellia (Merc) and 11 other characters
Understanding Crew Skills / High End Schematics / Best Crew Skills / Crew Skill Money Making / Reverse Engineering Rules / SWTOR Story to date

wainot-keel
08.11.2015 , 11:07 AM | #8
How cheap? Because unless it is under 6k each running UWT missions for the Doonium is worthwhile.
What do you use your Doonium for ? I'm swimming in them due to all the discovery missions I get from Slicing box missions. The Earpieces and different armourings I craft take a long time to sell, listing them and re-listing them becomes tedious and frustrating enough that I simply keep babysitting my augmenters and my artificer ( they do not fail me getting me creds every every time )

psandak
08.11.2015 , 11:17 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by wainot-keel View Post
What do you use your Doonium for ? I'm swimming in them due to all the discovery missions I get from Slicing box missions. The Earpieces and different armourings I craft take a long time to sell, listing them and re-listing them becomes tedious and frustrating enough that I simply keep babysitting my augmenters and my artificer ( they do not fail me getting me creds every every time )
Up until recently purple ear pieces and mods sold rather well - slow and steady. I would craft a small number of them and then sell them. When they sold I would make more.

I guess it is not as tedious when you are already listing new stuff every day anyway.

eartharioch
08.11.2015 , 12:17 PM | #10
I pay about 12K-15K each. I run UWT a few times a week (plus my Discovered ones). I know that it's worth it financially, but it's hard to get motivated by a 6K-9K profit when I'm selling the items themselves at about 50K ppm (so 35K ppm based on the GTN price).

Midlithe, now, is still at about 30K ppm, and I'm current selling at around 60K ppm, so 30K ppm profit. So when I log in, I always run my THs (since that adds 24K ppm), and I don't always have (or want to make) the time to run my less profitable chars.

I pretty much don't even run Dip for autoimmunes (they sell ok, but I rarely craft anything that uses them).

So basically, I only have X time to spend per day, and I tend to go most-profitable to least-profitable, and my UWT chars are an Armstech and and Armormech, both with Scavenging, so basically they are near the bottom of my profitability.
Q: What did the five fingers say to the face?
A: It's a SLAP!
This is not my referral link