Bioware may introduce hardware DRM for KotFE

fidothegran

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So not only are you a computer expert, you dabble in silicon chemistry as well?

About 15 years ago, in my first go around in college, I studied chemical engineering. I took the graduate level VLSI course as one of my 2 required at large 500 level courses. I had a B+, also got to tour the plant where they made the chips for Motorola cellphones at the time so it was cool. :D

Take that for what you will, but the way they are made has not changed, well except the lithographic techniques are much better, and the architecture is improved, but it's still the same materials if organized in a different fashion. I think I still got my textbook and 2 reams of notes tucked away in storage if you want me to dig them out. Just might take me awhile to find them.

Yes, I realize that it may not be DRM in the way that most people think of it, but the idea is so new that there isn't really an official term for it.
soft hardware locking? you lock out hardware by making the requirements so steep that users would be wise not to attempt to play it. Not because hardware overheats and combusts but the user experience is so detrimental there's no reason to continue playing the content with inadequate hardware.

It is impossible to melt a CPU or graphics card, they are made of silicon with a coating of silicon dioxide. That means you have to MELT GLASS to melt a CPU or graphics card, that's 1400 to 1600 C depending on glass type. Since the way chips are made, the glass on them is pure and has the highest possible melting point because it is epitaxial grown, meaning there is little to no imperfections and the silicon-SiO2 interface is nearly perfect (at least as far as a human can make it).

On top of that, most CPU/GPU chips will throttle or shut down after reaching a temperature well below the point where they are actually damaged, for CPUs that is roughly 80C and 100C for GPUs. How do I know this? I overclock for fun, and I've pushed throttle points, as long as you don't OVERVOLT you will never damage your components, regardless of how hot they get.

I know of one guy that had an OC'd CPU that the cooler fan died and the cpu eventually forced a shut down. After it did, he did the stupid thing and went to touch it and burned himself. He bought a new fan, put it on and the thing booted and ran fine at the previous overclock he had. The days of computer chips overheating and getting damaged are gone, motherboards and BIOS today will shut down the computer long before heat could cause damage.

No you just need a refreshed AMD GPU and bitcoin mine without cooling. Come back to find your house on fire.

proof: http://i.ytimg.com/vi/Aw3kal5C6SM/maxresdefault.jpg

Yes, I realize that it may not be DRM in the way that most people think of it, but the idea is so new that there isn't really an official term for it.

This is, quite frankly, the best part.

This is so new that the developer of said technology hasn't even come up with a name for it. This is like putting DRM in your DRM and then putting more DRM on top of that. It is the Epic Meal Time of DRM.

For giggles if you don't know EMT: http://www.epicmealtime.com/

this is gay if they do that, because I may upgrade soon... this is the most gay news i ve ever heared for an mmo.

Everybody will be outraged... Avery time they did this, their games ditched into oblivion... They did in the past as well and their games are not even remembered. MMOS are different, if they lock the accounts into 1 hardware, then its goodbye..

Remind me a game they did this, it was like with micro-organisms and evolution...it was so cool, but it was heavy drm and goodbye.

Oyranos, clearly you've never met fidothegran, our resident conspiracy theorist. He's actually quite funny and a fair amount of his posts mix the plausible with the incredible just enough that you wonder if he might be right. Then he shows up at your house at 3 AM to say "Gotcha!"

Edited by AshlaBoga

It's the Hero Engine. Are you an idiot? This is probably the dumbest post I've read in a month.

Last I knew, this game required over 200 million dollars in order to develop and release. BioWare wants customers. Current, new and returning players are desired. BioWare wants subscribers and profit. Implementing high end hardware restrictions? Again, it's the Hero Engine.

Did I mention it's the Hero Engine?

I mean, just so we're absolutely clear... in case I forgot in my bewilderment.... it's the HEROENGINE.

That is why it will only apply to endgame content. The rest of the game will be unaffected.

At least fidothegran's threads give you a break from the numerous and repeat Nico Okarr reward companion threads, the troll bait "I'm a sexual" threads. General discussion is lacking quality topics, every forum user is just gang piling on every new thread that gets more than 10 posts.

I was there when "I'm asexual" had 0 replies. I clicked, read the one line sentence. Typed up a response about trolling and bans, "if you were serious about making a romance type suggestion, your post would be longer than a one liner and it would be filed in the suggestion box." I deleted my sketch post, and hoped forum users would be wise enough to watch that troll thread get buried, but the opposite happens. Everyone gang piles to get their +1's, I was so disappointed. Now that thread is there, occupying first page real estate, just die thread, die.

Edited by Falensawino

I put my tinfoil hat on and read your manifesto twice, once facing north and a second time sitting in a pentagram of candles and it still sounded like nonsense...

You have to wire a dryer cord to the tin hat like I did, then it makes perfect sense.

No you just need a refreshed AMD GPU and bitcoin mine without cooling. Come back to find your house on fire.

proof: http://i.ytimg.com/vi/Aw3kal5C6SM/maxresdefault.jpg

The chip didn't melt though, that was my point. If you look at the pics, what's burning is thermal paste or something else on top of the chip, heck the fire isn't even really burning the PCB, or distorting it (although a PCB can be damaged by fire because it is not pure silicon like a chip is).

By the time you heat it up enough to melt the chip, you have FAR FAR FAR bigger problems, like evacuating your residence quickly along with any valuables you wish to save.

I should add, with that bitcoin miner fire, it was likely a loss of cooling which melted out the thermal paste, which would easily short a solder point causing a spark which can easily set fire to thermal paste since it's a paraffin oil with metal particles embedded in it. That's a cheap TP, most of the good ones today are ceramic based instead of metal and won't short contacts and cause fires.

Edited by Draqsko

As a Operations runner and even a general player, I cannot ever see this happening.

First off: Many high-end raiders turn DOWN their graphics tremendously to not miss telegraphs and visual cues. Secondly, people 'trolling' with their toaster-PCs in ops is such a small and unimportant issue to warrant such a major reaction. Things like this are easily self policed by ops groups. Someone always dying? Probably wont be invited back. Simple as that.

if only there was a way to report posts for passing on misinformation and outright lying. unfortunately we can't. Its stuff like this that makes it on the forums, and then gets hits via google search and people actually come to believe it.

OP keep this stuff in reddit or better yet. 4chan where it belongs.

In a related story: SWTOR Forum Poster arrested for insider trading in aluminum foil maker stock trades. Film at 11.

Transcript: Our lead story tonight, a person posing as an online gaming player has been arrested and indicted for attempts to manipulate the aluminum commodities markets and the stock prices of the major and minor aluminum foil manufacturers, distributers, and retailers worldwide. The suspect however cannot afford an attorney nor has he been deemed psychologically fit to represent himself against the long list of charges. An aluminum commodities representative was quoted as saying prices and supplies should return to normal soon, and that with the arrest there will be no shortages of aluminum in the near future. The suspect pictured here [photo insert] was easily identified in his underground bunker by the massive shiny headwear he sports. Authorities confiscated over 10,000 additional tinfoil hats, caps, turbans, fedoras, and beret's. Suspect also had an aluminum assault rifle and high capacity clip [photo insert of a single shot musket circa 1600ad]