Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Warning Button after choosing Advanced Class

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
Warning Button after choosing Advanced Class

ReiperX
12.14.2011 , 10:03 PM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by Evuke View Post
not everyone listens to npc's blabbering on, i certainly don't

it's probably a good idea to protect noobs
Do you read thought?

When you choose there are two decent sized windows opened, they tell you your class, the roles you fill (heal/dps/tank), what weapon you use, what armor you wear.

It's pretty obvious.
Sith Apprentice"Master, whats for dinner"
Sith Lord "Wookie steak"
Sith Apprentice "Is it any good?"
Sith Master "It's a little chewy" .

Jotunn
12.14.2011 , 10:12 PM | #12
Yeah, it's a stupid mistake to make. But there is truly no downside to it. Can't really argue with that. I'm no programmer but it sure as hell doesn't sound very hard to do either.

Why not?

jankins
12.14.2011 , 10:15 PM | #13
not everyone listens to npc's blabbering on, i certainly don't

lol in a game that is completely voiced and meant more for story than anything else why are you buying this game?

ReiperX
12.14.2011 , 10:19 PM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by Jotunn View Post
Yeah, it's a stupid mistake to make. But there is truly no downside to it. Can't really argue with that. I'm no programmer but it sure as hell doesn't sound very hard to do either.

Why not?
Oh a pop-up is extremely easy to make.

But from a personal standpoint, if you are always holding a newbie's hand throghout the entire experience, they will never learn. Especially when the decision is stated to be permanant and is extremely obvious on what you are choosing.

There's a limit to how much coddling you can do to a child before it becomes detrimental to their development.
Sith Apprentice"Master, whats for dinner"
Sith Lord "Wookie steak"
Sith Apprentice "Is it any good?"
Sith Master "It's a little chewy" .

phswtor
12.14.2011 , 10:31 PM | #15

No.

STOP PROTECTING THEM

People don't learn when they're handled with kiddie gloves forever.

dizzyMongoose
12.27.2011 , 03:34 AM | #16
Of course there should be a confirmation popup or equivalent. It's Good UI 101. This has nothing to do with newbie-ness and everything to do with the good practice of making sure players don't invoke an unwanted, permanent action by mistake. It's the same reasoning for why you throw up a confirmation box when you're about to overwrite a save game.

CedrionKatar
12.27.2011 , 08:59 AM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by ReiperX View Post
But from a personal standpoint, if you are always holding a newbie's hand throghout the entire experience, they will never learn. Especially when the decision is stated to be permanant and is extremely obvious on what you are choosing.
The game has a pop up tellign you that your mod, enchancement, barrel, etc.. will be destroyed when you replace it with a new one. It takes about 10-20 minutes to find a better one at low levels to correct your mistake. So why have a confirmation box for that and not bother to have a confirmation box for a potentially permament mistake?

SWZebi
12.27.2011 , 05:30 PM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by dizzyMongoose View Post
Of course there should be a confirmation popup or equivalent. It's Good UI 101. This has nothing to do with newbie-ness and everything to do with the good practice of making sure players don't invoke an unwanted, permanent action by mistake. It's the same reasoning for why you throw up a confirmation box when you're about to overwrite a save game.
Right!

I just took the wrong spec by mistake because the texts on the buttons where misleading. I thought I can take a look at both specs talent trees ingame before making my decision because the button sounded like "take a look". So I took a look and no I have to reroll my char and delete 6 hours of playing. I am really frustrated now! This all would have been prohibited by a checkbox which takes the developer 5 minutes to implement.

PS: I am no software noob...

JakeLightbearer
12.27.2011 , 07:03 PM | #19
I honestly can't understand why anyone's opposing this. It's not a do-over. Heck, my laptop has an error where the mouse button occasionally jumps or clicks itself (and, no, this didn't happen to me; my laptop can't even run KOTOR I, lol).

Almost everything has an "are you sure" button, so why not this?

I literally cannot think of a reason to oppose this other than knee-jerk reactionism, or a desire to make things difficult for other people on the (false) assumption that they're the same people who are making things difficult for you in groups.

Quote: Originally Posted by SWZebi View Post
Right!

I just took the wrong spec by mistake because the texts on the buttons where misleading. I thought I can take a look at both specs talent trees ingame before making my decision because the button sounded like "take a look". So I took a look and no I have to reroll my char and delete 6 hours of playing. I am really frustrated now! This all would have been prohibited by a checkbox which takes the developer 5 minutes to implement.

PS: I am no software noob...
Um, there is an "are you sure?" button. It's called the "commit" button. Just clicking on the talent itself won't commit the points. In fact, if you try to X out after assigning the points but before commiting them, guess what pops up to save you the two minutes of re-choosing a talent?

Anyway, there's no reason whatsoever to reroll if you put your talents in the wrong place. In fact respeccing is fairly cheap if you don't do it too often. Illogical analogy is illogical.

SWZebi
12.28.2011 , 02:32 AM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by JakeLightbearer View Post
Um, there is an "are you sure?" button. It's called the "commit" button. Just clicking on the talent itself won't commit the points. In fact, if you try to X out after assigning the points but before commiting them, guess what pops up to save you the two minutes of re-choosing a talent?
There is a button which asks if you want to commit your talent choices, yes. However there is NO confirmation whatsoever when you choose your advanced class.
Doing it the other way round would at least make any sense because your talent points can be reset, your adv. class not.