Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Your Best Stories of God Modding

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Your Best Stories of God Modding

JourrnoRush's Avatar


JourrnoRush
07.20.2015 , 03:14 PM | #1
For those who RP, especially in Star Wars, god modding is a potential problem with people and their stories.

God modding is in a sense, the perfect character. What I mean is this character has every power that can be imagined, can't die, your character can't beat him/her, and most likely has unseen social issues.

How does this tie to Star Wars?

Force users are the best example, people are special snowflakes with certain powers (can create life or something else stupid, son of Exar Kun, related to Emperor, etc.). Could also be trolling, aka when people are RP at an event and a random character comes and /emote kills everyone in the room.

As one can see, finding these players can cause quite a problem with developing stories especially in guilds who pride themselves on making stories with everyone's characters.

So what are your best god modding stories?

I have one,
I was in a Jedi guild during SWG and we had a good master/padawan system. We had a master who was personally trained by Yoda and as such had many special powers. It gets better he refused to "pass" on the knowledge that he learned from Yoda because he was actually adopted by Yoda before Yoda went into exile. Yoda made him promise not share the knowledge for it could be captured by the Sith.

Our guild was reformed to follow stricter lore so people wouldn't be jesus reborn. Everyone knew he was not going to change so they made a compromise, they told him teach the younger ones of your knowledge. He refused and finally admitted saying he just wanted to be more powerful than anyone he was training. He was guild removed and was actually later banned for selling credits

What about you?
See the stars, they're shining bright. Everything's alright tonight.
^^^Free Stuff Let me know if you click!

Exodur_Verenus's Avatar


Exodur_Verenus
07.20.2015 , 03:34 PM | #2
Lol, sounds like one of those kids at school who always had "Wizard armour" or something and refused to ever go down.

That was seriously the last time I encountered that attitude lol.
*Waves hand* This is the referral link you are looking for:

http://www.swtor.com/r/bD6C8W

JourrnoRush's Avatar


JourrnoRush
07.20.2015 , 03:42 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by Exodur_Verenus View Post
Lol, sounds like one of those kids at school who always had "Wizard armour" or something and refused to ever go down.

That was seriously the last time I encountered that attitude lol.
I never remember this in school, I've only seen it in video games. Though, I've never attended a RL rp event. I can't imagine a RL god modder...
See the stars, they're shining bright. Everything's alright tonight.
^^^Free Stuff Let me know if you click!

Rodyn's Avatar


Rodyn
07.20.2015 , 04:46 PM | #4
This isn't really a story, as I wasn't there, but during a server event some time ago a "Mandalorian Knight" character dodged a rail shot.

Even Force-sensitiives would have problems avoiding a rail shot. Magnetically-accelerated slugs are damned fast.

Also, Grey Jedi RPers in general.
Commissar Nithron Nalar
HERO OF THE EMPIRE!

SithKoriandr's Avatar


SithKoriandr
07.20.2015 , 04:51 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Rodyn View Post
This isn't really a story, as I wasn't there, but during a server event some time ago a "Mandalorian Knight" character dodged a rail shot.

Even Force-sensitiives would have problems avoiding a rail shot. Magnetically-accelerated slugs are damned fast.

Also, Grey Jedi RPers in general.
I fail to see how Grey Jedi RPers in general, seems like a bad thing, when the game seems to practically encourage it. Or is it you think players should play mostly to the norm of of "Sith kill everyone mindlessly and Jedi do all lightside stuff only"?

Someone weaker than you failed. You kill him. That's the sith way. Caught someone who may be innocent of the crime in question. Kill them anyways, just in case they were guilty.
"It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more...than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so *********** what." - Stephen Fry

Rodyn's Avatar


Rodyn
07.20.2015 , 04:57 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by SithKoriandr View Post
I fail to see how Grey Jedi RPers in general, seems like a bad thing, when the game seems to practically encourage it. Or is it you think players should play mostly to the norm of of "Sith kill everyone mindlessly and Jedi do all lightside stuff only"?

Someone weaker than you failed. You kill him. That's the sith way. Caught someone who may be innocent of the crime in question. Kill them anyways, just in case they were guilty.
On the contrary, a large part of my problem with Grey Jedi RPers is because a lot of them go that route because they're under the misconception that Jedi are all tree-hugging pansies that aren't allowed to feel emotion, but that's not true at all. The Jedi Code says, "There is no emotion, there is peace," but it doesn't mean that emotion is bad, just that you shouldn't let it control you. Heck, the only Jedi known to purge all of her emotions, the Dark Woman, was considered extreme by most other Jedi.

Although Grey Jedi tend to fall into God Modder territory mainly due to the group that seem to think both the light side and the dark side can be mastered simultaneously, which is distinctly not true. I do admit, though, I probably shouldn't have classified all Grey Jedi under this category, even if there is no "grey side" of the Force.

And no, I don't believe Sith should be mindless Saturday Morning Cartoon villains. In fact, I'm zealously against that. It's boring, uncreative, and illogical. If Sith were as Stupid Evil as some people made them out to be, there would be no Empire, because it simply would not work.
Commissar Nithron Nalar
HERO OF THE EMPIRE!

Joluka's Avatar


Joluka
07.20.2015 , 11:18 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Rodyn View Post
On the contrary, a large part of my problem with Grey Jedi RPers is because a lot of them go that route because they're under the misconception that Jedi are all tree-hugging pansies that aren't allowed to feel emotion, but that's not true at all. The Jedi Code says, "There is no emotion, there is peace," but it doesn't mean that emotion is bad, just that you shouldn't let it control you. Heck, the only Jedi known to purge all of her emotions, the Dark Woman, was considered extreme by most other Jedi.

Although Grey Jedi tend to fall into God Modder territory mainly due to the group that seem to think both the light side and the dark side can be mastered simultaneously, which is distinctly not true. I do admit, though, I probably shouldn't have classified all Grey Jedi under this category, even if there is no "grey side" of the Force.

And no, I don't believe Sith should be mindless Saturday Morning Cartoon villains. In fact, I'm zealously against that. It's boring, uncreative, and illogical. If Sith were as Stupid Evil as some people made them out to be, there would be no Empire, because it simply would not work.
100% Agree. I'm on Begeren Colony, but I haven't really RP'd at all (can't find a decent guild).

Anyway, I rolled a Sith Warrior after 3 years of a hiatus and this time I decided to give him a personality and a purpose instead of playing him full Dark Side like I did back in Vanilla. Honorable, very intelligent and educated, believes very strongly that respect for the hierarchy of the Sith is of monumental importance, hates abusive Sith, he adores order and strictness, thinks Jedi are worthy adversaries but must ultimately fall to the might of the Dark Side, and he is loyal to the Empire. I ended up Dark II with a LS Jaesa and it was the most satisfying play through I've done as a Force user.

Then I played an Agent, my new main thanks to the story, and also gave her a purpose and personality. She's loyal to the death as well, she's prideful, she protects and defends her own, she hates the Sith because she feels they are destroying the Empire, and she hates the Republic to the point of obsession since the beginning of Chapter II for spoilery reasons. My mouth was gaping open for all of that story from how much I loved her.

Cartoon villainy is only fun when you're playing an Inquisitor who just wants to see the Empire burn for enslaving you, that way you can screw them in Alderaan and shock people to death in Voss
The Conrad Legacy


"I wasn't planning to live forever anyway. I'm in."

SithKoriandr's Avatar


SithKoriandr
07.21.2015 , 05:46 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Joluka View Post
Cartoon villainy is only fun when you're playing an Inquisitor who just wants to see the Empire burn for enslaving you, that way you can screw them in Alderaan and shock people to death in Voss
While I didn't just screw with people with my SI, I've been quite sad that my SI doesn't get to feel as anti-Empire in the Makeb and onward storyline Every anti Empire choice, she usually took and still ended up Darth Imperius (it is the better name imo) and has had a lack of "screw the empire" dialogue options
"It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more...than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so *********** what." - Stephen Fry

CrutchCricket's Avatar


CrutchCricket
07.21.2015 , 10:52 AM | #9
Does Bioware God Modding Revan in the last expansion, or in this game in general, count?

Canareth's Avatar


Canareth
07.21.2015 , 12:39 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by SithKoriandr View Post
While I didn't just screw with people with my SI, I've been quite sad that my SI doesn't get to feel as anti-Empire in the Makeb and onward storyline Every anti Empire choice, she usually took and still ended up Darth Imperius (it is the better name imo) and has had a lack of "screw the empire" dialogue options
That's because by that point, Imperius is well on the way to taking over the Empire. Even the moderate dialogue choices are all "I'm a Dark Councillor, you will do what I say" and "Yes, I'm countermanding that puppy-kicking order because you are an idiot."

Things change pretty radically for the Inquisitor in their Act III. You want to talk about God-Modding....