Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Artifice vs Synthweaving

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Crew Skills
Artifice vs Synthweaving

Raviix
12.27.2011 , 08:28 PM | #1
I am a Sorcerer and am juggling between Artifice and Synthweaveing. I have some questions about the two Crew Skills and would like to see what others think of them.

First off I really like the idea of the customization gear and being Synthweaving gets be patterns I can make and discover via underworld trading. I have heard that some people are saying when they craft custom gear as Synth they get a chance to crit and it is better some how. How true is this from what others see? And how exactly is the gear effected from the crit if this is true?

With customizing gear do people think it would be easier and/or better to be Sythnweave and find new and different pieces to make? Or be artifice and be able to buy custom pieces and put in the best mods?

Synthweaving is supposed to make best in slot (or very close to it) belt and bracers. While Artifice has its equivalent for relics. What do you think is the better choice of the two and why?

Just as in WoW crafting professions eventually got their little perks to give them a bit more spice. And eventually the same is foreseeable here is ToR. I think my biggest question is long term or short term do people think you will have greater use from custom items as Artifice or Synthweaving.

Thank you for any input.

ShenLong
12.27.2011 , 08:32 PM | #2
It all comes down to the personal choice. You can make crystals and relics for yourself, or make belts and bracers.

Me? I went the belt and bracer root. As far as critical goes it has the option of opening an augment slot inside of the equipment.

Ex. The Vehemence Kinetic Defense Robe I use. Base quality of it is Superior (Purple). So I make one, and Bam. It crits and becomes a Mastercraft robe. Now what happens is I take a Willpower augment and put it into it, and that just might put it over my original modifiable until I can get some of the endgame mods for them.

Can't say anything for Artificing because I went synth.

Squidwalker
12.27.2011 , 08:35 PM | #3
Read my recent post on the problem with synthweaving, and the same problems exist for artiface, but a little less so, only because artiface uses multiple crystal types.
But basically archeology is broken all to hell right now, and it's killing those two crafting skills.

Currently out of the two, I would recommend artiface. You loot, or can buy, or get as rewards, orange modable gear. That's great, and can be modified continually as you level, from what I can tell. But you need to have mods appropriate for you level, to keep them up with you. So go that route.

Raviix
12.27.2011 , 09:13 PM | #4
I guess it could be simplified to the question of: Who would benefit more personally for custom gear artificer or Synthweaver?

Thanks for the explanation on the crits ShenLong.

OldMajor
12.27.2011 , 09:46 PM | #5
I went with Artifice and it would look like the better option because everyone is after Orange gear. However, neither is a good choice really. This game has no economy! The only people who spent money were the slicers (the 1% of SWTOR), now that skill has been nerfed they aren't spending money as much. And the commendation skill kills both synthweaving and Artifice, because all you have to do is go to a planet and load up on commendations and voila free blue gear until the next planet!

InfinitusOdium
12.27.2011 , 10:11 PM | #6
I have been saving Arch mats trying to decide between Synch and Art.

I REALLY like to look the way I want so Synch might be best but I just have a couple nice sets of Orange gear that I swap out mods so I don't really see how Synch wil help unless I can make Orange gear ONLY for me. I don't mind buying it.

Art just seems neat and making mods, off-hands, and colors will be good for myslef and all my other characters. Synch will just help my class now, Sage, and my Knight alt.

So I am on the fence as well.

Help me choose!!!

Raviix
12.27.2011 , 10:20 PM | #7
Yaa thats the problem I am having. Will artifice or Synth help give more options for orange gear and keep it upgraded. I too dont mind buying orange gear, but the crit extra slot from synthweave is nice if you get it.

Tiresias
12.27.2011 , 10:44 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by OldMajor View Post
I went with Artifice and it would look like the better option because everyone is after Orange gear. However, neither is a good choice really. This game has no economy! The only people who spent money were the slicers (the 1% of SWTOR), now that skill has been nerfed they aren't spending money as much. And the commendation skill kills both synthweaving and Artifice, because all you have to do is go to a planet and load up on commendations and voila free blue gear until the next planet!
The true 1% is people like me who took two gathering skills and a crew skill and sell everything on the GTN.

1 million credits at level 38 with all skills, current gear, a fully-outfitted ship, and companions who love me for all the gifts I give them.

InfinitusOdium
12.28.2011 , 01:10 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Raviix View Post
Yaa thats the problem I am having. Will artifice or Synth help give more options for orange gear and keep it upgraded. I too dont mind buying orange gear, but the crit extra slot from synthweave is nice if you get it.
Is the extra mod slot only for the crafter or can anybody buy them?