Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

T minus 1 week till Togruta

First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

TheSeventhJedi
07.16.2015 , 08:28 AM | #121
Quote: Originally Posted by GoldenHornet View Post
Please, please, please be Nautolans. I've been wanting a Nautolan Trooper for years.
It's gotta be. Can you think of another species they would even want to put in the game with "head things" going on? I mean, I wouldn't say no to Kel'dor, but you don't have hood problems there. Hopefully we can expect Nautolan without having to wait another two years.
Click for free things, please:

http://www.swtor.com/r/GlscnB

(It's a referral link - whether you're a new or returning member,
you'll get all sorts of goodies!)

Diviciacus
07.16.2015 , 08:34 AM | #122
Quote: Originally Posted by branmakmuffin View Post
And once again "Here is info you have been requesting," "Great, but that's not good enough. Now do this other thing, too, then I can move on to complain about the next item in the endless line of things I am dissatisfied with."
You can b*tch all you want about my post; the concern is valid. Certain head pieces have forced down hoods on armor since beta. That means, for every chest armor in the game with a hood, it also has a display model with no hood in the live game.

Trogruta make this eminently obvious, because their head forces down every hood. There's literally zero reason we haven't gotten a hood toggle yet, because Togruta as a species functions as a hood toggle. It clearly exists in the code, and they're clearly capable of implementing. The question is why in all the seven circles of Hell haven't they? It's not like they haven't monetized portions of the UI already.

That was my point.

Quote: Originally Posted by Darth-Obvious View Post
....because that's not actually possible to do.

There is no way to develop something like the Togruta, Nautolans, etc, in such a way that their leku wouldn't clip with every possible chest piece that's in the game, not unless you made it so that their leku didn't come down past their ears, which isn't what people want.
It's actually pretty simple. Not necessarily easy to code, but very simple conceptually.

All you have to do is code lekku and/or hair so that they are considered a physical object for interactions with equipped armor, similar to how in the preview window, speeders are actually physical objects (that's why robes/capes don't clip through in the preview window).

The problem is, I don't think the engine is capable of considering a model (that is, a piece of armor, or lekku, or whatever) as a physical object for only some game-world interactions. That is, I don't think Bioware can make say, robes interact with speeders as physical objects, without making the speeder interact as a physical object with everything else too.
Nonne mei fratres congruitis nobis nostram cruore ferroque humum recipienda esse aut Imperium Aeternum quae omnia speremus peregerimusque vere perdat?
Conquering the Darkest Places, the ongoing misadventures of a Sith doing what's right by her.

EricMusco
07.16.2015 , 09:01 AM | #123 This is the last staff post in this thread.  
Hey folks,

I have seen a few questions about price. I just confirmed with the team and Togruta will cost exactly the same as Cathar, 600 Cartel Coins.

-eric
Eric Musco | Community Manager
Follow us on Twitter @SWTOR | Like us on Facebook
[Contact Us] [Rules of Conduct] [F.A.Q.]

MillionsKNives
07.16.2015 , 09:05 AM | #124
Quote: Originally Posted by Diviciacus View Post
You can b*tch all you want about my post; the concern is valid. Certain head pieces have forced down hoods on armor since beta. That means, for every chest armor in the game with a hood, it also has a display model with no hood in the live game.

Trogruta make this eminently obvious, because their head forces down every hood. There's literally zero reason we haven't gotten a hood toggle yet, because Togruta as a species functions as a hood toggle. It clearly exists in the code, and they're clearly capable of implementing. The question is why in all the seven circles of Hell haven't they? It's not like they haven't monetized portions of the UI already.

That was my point.
That's not a hood toggle, that's hiding the hood. A hood toggle would mean that your hood would appear laying against your back.

Quote:
It's actually pretty simple. Not necessarily easy to code, but very simple conceptually.

All you have to do is code lekku and/or hair so that they are considered a physical object for interactions with equipped armor, similar to how in the preview window, speeders are actually physical objects (that's why robes/capes don't clip through in the preview window).

The problem is, I don't think the engine is capable of considering a model (that is, a piece of armor, or lekku, or whatever) as a physical object for only some game-world interactions. That is, I don't think Bioware can make say, robes interact with speeders as physical objects, without making the speeder interact as a physical object with everything else too.
That's not even remotely accurate. Firstly, the preview window has zero physics. The reason robes and capes don't fall through speeders is because they're attached to your legs and ankles. Secondly, they can completely determine which objects interact with what. Otherwise your cape wouldn't bounce off your legs while walking. Also, chest pieces already have collision boxes (or at least the character does) for lekku. Have you never seen the physics of the lekku colliding with your back and shoulders?

Rafaman
07.16.2015 , 09:13 AM | #125
Should there be a rule against Ahsokas? Body type 1, big lips, sassy attitude?

Sefarad
07.16.2015 , 09:13 AM | #126
Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post
Hey folks,

I have seen a few questions about price. I just confirmed with the team and Togruta will cost exactly the same as Cathar, 600 Cartel Coins.

-eric
And... regarding the character slot limit? For those of us who already have 22, what do you have?

Sarfux
07.16.2015 , 09:16 AM | #127
Quote: Originally Posted by LyndaeshaFreykaa View Post
Aaahh finally, my second favourite species! Can't wait to play around in the character creator, even though I don't expect many options to be honest. (The typical bandaid fix w/ the headslot hiding is also.... erm, a bit unfortunate.)

Sooo, BW, about those Nautolans.... <3
Nautolans are probably next
Always be who you are, not what the galaxy wants you to be

Mentor System

SWTOR: Out On the Horizon

Honest Assessment of the Game

So Long, Forums

ikinai
07.16.2015 , 09:23 AM | #128
Quote: Originally Posted by NoahRedden View Post
?

They're adding a new species...

And why do you need more than 22? Delete some, go outside, get a life.
No no no, do not listen to this one, he is delusional, outside is scary, just roll on another server for the time being. Then continue the march with pitchforks to get the server cap raised. Then you can play Ahsoka while, erm I mean your togruta, while trying to get more characters per server. Remember, outside scary, inside awesome, outside scary kids.
I'll tell you what, then. Why don't you call me some time when you have no class?
--Rodney Dangerfield Back to School
Is this referral mic on? It's free stuff and stuff, in game.

DOHboy
07.16.2015 , 09:34 AM | #129
Quote: Originally Posted by ikinai View Post
No no no, do not listen to this one, he is delusional, outside is scary, just roll on another server for the time being. Then continue the march with pitchforks to get the server cap raised. Then you can play Ahsoka while, erm I mean your togruta, while trying to get more characters per server. Remember, outside scary, inside awesome, outside scary kids.
meh if it wasn't for the big ball of fiery death in the sky outside isn't so bad usually....
deleting chars is probably a good approach
ya'll know what this is (hint yes its a referral link)

Diviciacus
07.16.2015 , 09:39 AM | #130
Quote: Originally Posted by MillionsKNives View Post
That's not a hood toggle, that's hiding the hood. A hood toggle would mean that your hood would appear laying against your back.
The semantic difference is meaningless here. Both have the same outcome: your character isn't wearing the hood.

That's not even remotely accurate. Firstly, the preview window has zero physics. The reason robes and capes don't fall through speeders is because they're attached to your legs and ankles. Secondly, they can completely determine which objects interact with what. Otherwise your cape wouldn't bounce off your legs while walking.
Actually, capes bounce off everything except mounts (that's how they get tangled up in themselves, which is really just an interaction bug stemming from the game not having physics detailed enough to render realistic cloth folding). I have my Shadow, who wears the Sanctified Caretaker chestpiece, sitting on the ground in-game right now, and it's piled up underneath her - albeit in a buggy, twitching mess. This is why I don't RP. Every time I have to sit, my Shadow's clothing becomes possessed by the Great Old Ones!

It's the speeders themselves which don't interact with anything, and that's likely for gameplay reasons: people would sit on the big landspeeders or large animal mounts and block physical access to NPC's/mailboxes/etc (whereas now you can just click through their mount onto the object of interest).

WoW is interesting in this regard, in that mounts will clip through other players, their mounts, NPC's and interactable objects, but crucially do not clip through the actual terrain (I mean "terrain" in the game-world-building sense, so this includes buildings, trees, etc). If you try to ride a dragon through a door, the wings will prevent you from entering. TOR could learn from this. I mean the mount/terrain no-clip, not the dragons. In WoW, your cloak also doesn't clip through your mount, but I have a sneaking suspicion that it has less to do with physics and more that they hardcoded cloaks to bend a certain way on mounts, and that gives only the appearance of sitting nicely on top.

That could be an elegant solution to the speeder/robe clipping, too. Attaching the cloaks and robes to character legs. It's not like there isn't precedent: the Genteel Dress has strips of cloth which are part of the chest (not the dress bottom which is leg armor), and those are attached to the legs similarly to the item-preview "physics."

Also, chest pieces already have collision boxes (or at least the character does) for lekku. Have you never seen the physics of the lekku colliding with your back and shoulders?
Actually, no. Lekku interact with your character model, which has a torso the lekku can't clip through. On certain chest pieces, it can appear that the actual chest armor model isn't clipping, because what's happening is that the chest itself has no 3D model and has simply retextured your character's back (99% of "cloaks" don't actually become physical objects until the waist-line). Lekku clip through the big backpacks on some Trooper/Bounty Hunter armor, and the most hilarious offender is Freedon Nadd's "wings."
Nonne mei fratres congruitis nobis nostram cruore ferroque humum recipienda esse aut Imperium Aeternum quae omnia speremus peregerimusque vere perdat?
Conquering the Darkest Places, the ongoing misadventures of a Sith doing what's right by her.