Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

[Guide] Companion Optimization, Gearing and Tips

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
[Guide] Companion Optimization, Gearing and Tips

KevMeup
06.14.2015 , 04:01 PM | #51
June 14th 2015: Updated companion parse data and rechecked Legacy abilities. Added Healer Parses! Removed Old HK part info. Added notes on Nico Okarr.
Kevgent - <Show Me Your Crits> - The Harbinger
Does your companion do 10k DPS?
Companion Use and Optimization Guide

Lazycrane
06.17.2015 , 01:58 AM | #52
I have been waiting for an update for this thread, so this is great. Thanks.

I have been parsing DPS comps and I am getting the same numbers (Note: my presense is just above 1000 as well). Those melee DPS guys are doing very nice numbers (Akaavi, Torian@ 1700) and holding threat well enough for the most part. I also found that Treek in tank gear does slightly less dps (600-650) than our regular tank comps (700-750), but her threat seems higher than other tanks. I am surprised to see in your post that Treek not doing so well with healing. So perhaps the only advantage for her now is her smart attacks (i.e. avoiding cc'd opponents)?

On a different note, I have been using Risha for my companion for Yavin slice farming so that she can crit on slicing, but it is not easy to quantify that actually helps or not.

Anyway, thanks for the update and looking forward to new comp info.

KevMeup
06.17.2015 , 12:31 PM | #53
Quote: Originally Posted by Lazycrane View Post
I have been waiting for an update for this thread, so this is great. Thanks.

I have been parsing DPS comps and I am getting the same numbers (Note: my presense is just above 1000 as well). Those melee DPS guys are doing very nice numbers (Akaavi, Torian@ 1700) and holding threat well enough for the most part. I also found that Treek in tank gear does slightly less dps (600-650) than our regular tank comps (700-750), but her threat seems higher than other tanks. I am surprised to see in your post that Treek not doing so well with healing. So perhaps the only advantage for her now is her smart attacks (i.e. avoiding cc'd opponents)?

On a different note, I have been using Risha for my companion for Yavin slice farming so that she can crit on slicing, but it is not easy to quantify that actually helps or not.

Anyway, thanks for the update and looking forward to new comp info.
As a tank, many of Treek's attacks are both AOE and high threat, so it's possible that threat would be high and dps lower than a normal tank. Unless you wanted to carefully micromanage tank skills on a normal companion (mostly the AOE taunt), I suspect that treek would make a better tank for most people.

I was really set back to see treek's healing numbers come out lower. She offsets it with a bit more damage and some smart skills like an agro drop though. In general I think most people don't need the full healing potential of a companion and just like never having to stop to regen, so shes great for that.

From what I remember, Risha's bonus should only help with missions and not manually picking up.

It sounds like we might get to really mix and max our companions in the update, could be a lot of fun, and maybe the new HK will be able to keep up with melee dps I'm really surprised the devs have left so many imbalances with companions. Sure, I've grown to love "Bug Boy" (vector), but I miss traveling with my wife Temple or my evil friend Scorpio..

KevMeup
06.26.2015 , 03:16 PM | #54
Added Suggestion Threads on the imbalances, hopefully it will bring some attention to them.

Balance Companion DPS
Balance Legacy Heroic Abilities

Bugattiboy
06.27.2015 , 12:25 AM | #55
Always wondered if their was a companion optimization guide out there. Thanks.

tkhnoob
07.13.2015 , 09:09 AM | #56
so i got a question about end game gear for comp

should I use the Yavin 4 weekly gear
or
should i craft my own lv 56 blue full purple set first than move on to lv 58 purple sets when got enough purple crafting material?

i know Yavin 4 armor rating is better but lv 56/58 craft set on legacy adaptive armor can makes comp looks different and correct status i want it

tkhnoob
07.13.2015 , 09:18 AM | #57
For Heals:
(Optional) Crit up to 300.
Surge to 400

For DPS:
Surge to 400

For Tanks (If you're healing):
(Optional) Defense up to 300

For Tanks (If you're not healing):

how to check ur gear crit up to 300, surge up to 400, defense up to 300?

KevMeup
07.13.2015 , 01:56 PM | #58
Quote: Originally Posted by tkhnoob View Post
so i got a question about end game gear for comp

should I use the Yavin 4 weekly gear
or
should i craft my own lv 56 blue full purple set first than move on to lv 58 purple sets when got enough purple crafting material?

i know Yavin 4 armor rating is better but lv 56/58 craft set on legacy adaptive armor can makes comp looks different and correct status i want it
The Yavin 4 Weekly gear is optimized 192s (set piece level) so it will be hard to beat. The first thing I do is get a dye module for the companion's chest piece that I like. If you're really going for a particular look you'll have to craft our buy your own gear though. If you are choosing your own gear stats, you may be able to make up for a lot of the difference by using more optimized stats: 700-756 Accuracy, 200-400 surge, rest alacrity. 0 Crit/all power.

KevMeup
07.13.2015 , 01:58 PM | #59
Quote: Originally Posted by tkhnoob View Post
For Heals:
Surge to 400

For DPS:
Surge to 400

For Tanks (If you're healing):

For Tanks (If you're not healing):

how to check ur gear crit up to 300, surge up to 400, defense up to 300?
If you click your character sheet, then the Companion Tab, you can hover over each stat to see the rating. So Critical Chance should show 0-300 for Rating.

Quething
07.16.2015 , 03:23 AM | #60
Quote: Originally Posted by Lazycrane View Post
I have been parsing DPS comps and I am getting the same numbers (Note: my presense is just above 1000 as well). Those melee DPS guys are doing very nice numbers (Akaavi, Torian@ 1700) and holding threat well enough for the most part. I also found that Treek in tank gear does slightly less dps (600-650) than our regular tank comps (700-750), but her threat seems higher than other tanks.
Treek seems to have an automatic AoE taunt that we don't see built right into her tank stance. I've heard tell of people who take her to fight grey world bosses, and they just slam away on her even as she stands there cowering (note I haven't tried this personally). She doesn't seem to have to do anything active to generate threat. Very convenient against CC as well as preventing the taunt waste other tank companions are subject to.

What's the word on tank companions in DPS gear/stance? Last time people did parses back in the pre-Yavin days the report was that that setup was about equivalent to the RDPS companions. I'm curious to see if that's still the case.