Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

So when do we get the Appearance Tab?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Crew Skills
So when do we get the Appearance Tab?

ColonelKer-Nal
12.27.2011 , 03:04 AM | #51
Quote: Originally Posted by KROSSDARK View Post
This crap again! When are the appearance tab freaks going to give up making all these garbage threads about the same topic over and over?
When we can look the way we want to. That is what the thread is about, y'know.

Unlike some, I'm not wedded to an A-Tab, but here, let me quote what I said earlier. That way I don't have to type it all over again, and won't be offended when you don't read it again.

Quote: Originally Posted by ColonelKer-Nal View Post
I just want to clarify my own position here. I'm OK with the current system IF and only if every piece of gear has a fully modable (aka Orange) version and said modable version is craftable.

IOW as long as the current system is as flexible as a full blown Appearance Tab I'm good with it. If it's not, well the devs need to address that. Between the lame-*** character creation (5 hairstyles that don't look like emo, punk, or gang nonsense out of 30? Really? No real blonde color? Really? No redhead color? No shading on hair? And that's only ONE facet of this sucktastic, 7 year old character creator), and the overblown ego of the art department that is going to get their feelings hurt if I don't display their clown suits... Well I'm PAYING to play this game, and I'm not going to get attached to my character if I don't like the way they look.

Maybe this garbage is ok for the WoW kiddies who don't know any better, but I've been playing a different MMO for the past 7 years and expect TOR to reflect its 2011 creation date. Particularly given their repeated boasts that this will have all the features of a triple A title. So far, that's a very empty boast.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.
~Robert A. Heinlein

ColonelKer-Nal
12.27.2011 , 03:06 AM | #52
Quote: Originally Posted by MaximusRex View Post
I would suggest people here read these articles:

http://www.swtor.com/blog/some-clari...-modifications

http://www.swtor.com/blog/why-unify-...and-whats-next

I think these answer a lot of concerns and suggestions I have seen in this thread.
I read both of these when they were first published. And I'm ok with the concepts in them, as long as every last piece of gear comes in an Orange flavor and is available to crafters.
~Robert A. Heinlein

Arkhell
12.27.2011 , 03:30 AM | #53
thers a lot more of important things to do then an apearence tab imho.

if they have some spare time in a year or so sure, make one but as of now this should be somewere down the bottom of stuff to do.
my Lightsaber goes PZZZZZZZ stabbedy stab stab pzwwwb and you're dead

Macheath
12.27.2011 , 03:43 AM | #54
Quote: Originally Posted by MaximusRex View Post
I would suggest people here read these articles:

http://www.swtor.com/blog/some-clari...-modifications

http://www.swtor.com/blog/why-unify-...and-whats-next

I think these answer a lot of concerns and suggestions I have seen in this thread.
--

Now, if purple gear was fully moddable, players would simply farm the first boss, acquire 5 pair of boots, extract the armoring, mod and enhancements from the boots and slots them in their favorite Custom items. That actually sounds cool, but it really isnít. Letting players extract the armoring mod from the purple items would trivialize end game gear progression and stop rewarding successful and dedicated players for their efforts.

So, instead of letting that happen, we prevented the Armoring, Hilt and Barrel from being extracted, but we also made sure of dropping purple Armoring mods of equivalent power as Operation loot. This means that players going the mod route can still take their favorite orange armor and make it as good as a operation purple armor (with some temporary caveats).

--

There are alternate solutions to this problem. For example, they could make the first items dropped in a raid come with a lower armor/weapon rating than the final items dropped off the last boss. If raid boots come with a rating of 88 and drop off the first boss, then a chest piece dropped off the final boss would come with a rating of 92, for example. That way, you'd still need to get to the last boss to acquire the best mod for your chest piece. This would also mean that any further chest piece you looted could be used to upgrade the boots you looted previously, allowing redundant loot drops in a raid to be put to some use (redundant loot drops will be more prevalent in this MMO versus, say, WoW, because of the smaller raid sizes.)

Furthermore, their fix isn't a fix. Currently, if an Operation drops a purple item that you like the look of, tough luck to you, buddy. Since the armor/weapon rating isn't upgradable, you'll be discarding it when you find something better. Yes, we can take our favourite orange armor and make it equivalent to the operation purple armor. But, we CANNOT take our favourite operational purple armor and make it as good as the next tier up. Since that armor is obviously going to be unique in it's design (at least, I hope it is, if it's raid loot) you aren't going to be able to find that look anywhere else.

And further still, their fix does nothing to address your character's appearance while leveling (for a game that promotes the creation of alts and experiencing every storyline, as well as the tons of money they spent on the cinematic quests and stories [more than other MMOS spend on leveling content] you'd think they'd place a higher level of priority on the leveling process than other games.) You are either A) stuck with throwaway green items that you like the look of, and are forced to take a stat hit, B) use the best item available to you, which may or may not be an item you like the look of, or C) use one of only a select few modifiable orange armor/weapon pieces at lower levels, which again may or may not be a look you desire.

Perhaps, by the time we get to end-game, we'll have found a full set of armor that fits our preferred style. That's no guarantee, but it's certainly possible. That doesn't change the fact that we don't have nearly so many options at low or mid-levels. While leveling, we have three options, two of which don't offer a reliable system of gear that we're guaranteed to like the look of, and one of which forces us to take a hit to our effectiveness.

Before, under the old (and arguably far superior) system, you were almost guaranteed to find a full set of armor that you both liked, and was fully -or nearly fully- modifiable by level 15 or so. AND you'd also have some modifiable items for your companion(s), too. Which was really great, as managing the armor sets for multiple companions can start to become a hassle, especially since you can't see the armor rating or armor stats of the armor equipped to companions who aren't currently with you. Under this new "improved" system, you don't even find modifiable accessories (non-chest items) until the mid 20's or early 30's even, unless you get very lucky and find a rare world drop.

-Macheath.
Remember, if the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off.

Mckor
12.27.2011 , 09:56 AM | #55
Quote: Originally Posted by KROSSDARK View Post
This crap again! When are the appearance tab freaks going to give up making all these garbage threads about the same topic over and over?
Quote: Originally Posted by MCKOR
This argument will not go away until people can make their characters look the way they want.
I sometimes wonder if people actually read the thread instead of just jumping right in and trying to shout it down...

suicidesquads
12.27.2011 , 10:02 AM | #56
The game is 1 week old.

It took WoW 7 years to do it.

It might be a while.
The only game I played that had this right out of the gate was DC Universe Online, but when you make a super hero/villain you kinda need to make your own iconic look, so it was pretty much a requirement in that game.

ColonelKer-Nal
12.27.2011 , 06:08 PM | #57
Quote: Originally Posted by Arkhell View Post
thers a lot more of important things to do then an apearence tab imho.
To you.

How people's characters look is very, very important to some people. You're probably from WoW with it's abysmal character creator, so you're used to looking like Timothy Leary threw up.
~Robert A. Heinlein

Rierdon
12.27.2011 , 06:11 PM | #58
Quote: Originally Posted by Ohoni View Post
This is something that's been long requested, and long ignored by Bioware, but there have been murmurs of assent over the past couple months, so since the game is pretty much launched now, it's time to get some info on what's next, namely, when is the Appearance Tab going in?
The issue hasn't been ignored by Bioware. They've responded countless times stating that with the mod system an appearance tab isn't needed.

That's Bioware disagreeing with you, not ignoring you.

Jaku
12.27.2011 , 11:21 PM | #59
Quote: Originally Posted by Rierdon View Post
The issue hasn't been ignored by Bioware. They've responded countless times stating that with the mod system an appearance tab isn't needed.

Sadly, the mod system does not do a good job of filling the void of an A-Tab.

You gimp yourself severely wearing orange gear rather than tier sets for PvE/PvP. Their base stats/the mods already in them are extremely high level compared to the mods you can scrounge up at level 50.
"Your chances come in two shapes. Slim, and fat." - Mace Windu

Quote:
This is a story driven story.

ColonelKer-Nal
12.27.2011 , 11:44 PM | #60
Quote: Originally Posted by Rierdon View Post

Until the conditions in my quote are met, they are mistaken.

Let me also add that looking good should not be strictly reserved for the end game. Crafters need to be able to make Orange gear from level 15 or so on up.

Quote: Originally Posted by ColonelKer-Nal View Post
I just want to clarify my own position here. I'm OK with the current system IF and only if every piece of gear has a fully modable (aka Orange) version and said modable version is craftable.

IOW as long as the current system is as flexible as a full blown Appearance Tab I'm good with it. If it's not, well the devs need to address that. Between the lame-*** character creation (5 hairstyles that don't look like emo, punk, or gang nonsense out of 30? Really? No real blonde color? Really? No redhead color? No shading on hair? And that's only ONE facet of this sucktastic, 7 year old character creator), and the overblown ego of the art department that is going to get their feelings hurt if I don't display their clown suits... Well I'm PAYING to play this game, and I'm not going to get attached to my character if I don't like the way they look.

Maybe this garbage is ok for the WoW kiddies who don't know any better, but I've been playing a different MMO for the past 7 years and expect TOR to reflect its 2011 creation date. Particularly given their repeated boasts that this will have all the features of a triple A title. So far, that's a very empty boast.
~Robert A. Heinlein