Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

controller compatibility

AztecSoul
01.06.2015 , 11:05 PM | #11
Well, gave it a shot last night, and I must say, it does take some getting used to. Definitely a difference in control from the good old joystick + keyboard setup I was used to from way back when. That had a scroll on the side of the stick to control throttle, while the keyboard was handy for power management and shield direction control. The crosshairs were always centered, so it was simplified in that regard. The mouse + keyboard seems more chaotic to overall control, but since this is really the only way to play GSF, I figure we're all in the same boat, relatively speaking. So in the midst of the chaos, there is that common denominator to all.

First match (capture the satellite type game), I was barely hit (0 deaths), but no kills, only assists (5). Not proud of those stats, but considering I was pure stock scout, I know those assists could have been kills if I had an upgraded ship. Plus, there were a number of fellow novices also flying around like panicked flies, so there was time to learn how to manage engine power for hit-and-run tactics, and ways to maneuver through asteroid fields. Overall decent mode that does okay with the mouse, just have to put in the time needed to upgrade the ship.

Seiffer
06.16.2015 , 08:38 PM | #12
god i wish i could use my controller for GSF. it would make it way easier to fly and fight and would be more fun in my opinion. i hope they do add analog support for GSF since it would improve the experience greatly for me. hey Bioware if your seeing this could you consider it? it would make it way more fun!

ALaggyGrunt
06.16.2015 , 08:55 PM | #13
This is why not:

1: Supporting all this extra hardware for a minigame is going to get expensive. We don't currently have enough active players to even think about such a thing.
2: The game is designed specifically for keyboard+mouse. It plays pretty well with keyboard and mouse once you get used to it. They would have to change the gunnery mechanics significantly for it to play very well with a joystick.
3: A joystick game gives a big advantage to joystick users. When I plugged in my new proper joystick (I'd been using an Xbox gamepad) and played X-wing with it, TIE Advanced went from being very difficult to kill with an X-wing to being a lot easier, and the trench run would have been an absolute nightmare without this thing. People will complain about being at a serious disadvantage because they don't have a joystick, and they will be correct-if the game is designed for joysticks. If the game isn't designed for joysticks, there just isn't much point to adding support.

Verain
06.17.2015 , 01:32 AM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by Seiffer View Post
god i wish i could use my controller for GSF. it would make it way easier to fly and fight and would be more fun in my opinion. i hope they do add analog support for GSF since it would improve the experience greatly for me. hey Bioware if your seeing this could you consider it? it would make it way more fun!
It would make it easier, but a properly done controller input would almost become mandatory. The game already has a pretty big skill bump to be played properly, would you really want to gate on controls as well?

The other points about supporting a zillion hardwarez are also relevant, but I think that's the one that should be more relevent to you Seiffer- it would add another Thing Noobs Need.
"The most despicable person on the GSF forum."