Patch 3.3 upcoming PvP overhaul

DupontTX

So I got the following from Dulfy. Personally, I am very happy about this. It will let us spend more time focusing on pvp and skill instead of who is most geared. Plus for ranked it will be great to collect tokens and rank in order to get rewards and such... I think this will vastly increase those queuing for ranked pvp and will be much more fun all around.

PvP Gearing

•Reduction in PVP set gear costs:

◦Exhumed reduced by 33%.

◦Dark Reaver reduced by 81%

•Only 2% of the games population has a full set of Dark Reaver

•Ranked Warzones comms removed from daily/weekly (and permanently from the game)

•Ranked Comms will be converted automatically at a 1:1 ratio when 3.3 goes Live. In addition, the Warzone Comm limit is being raised to 200,000. And if some player has more than that then there will be a soft cap where the comms will be added but more can’t be gained until under the cap. For players in this extreme situation they can purchase the new Warzone Comm Legacy Lockboxes detailed below to get under the cap on a certain character if they have no gear, medpacs or vanity items they wish to purchase.

•XP and Credit rewards have been increased (doubled but not 100% certain, Valor not affected)

•Adding an official way to transfer comms between characters. You buy a box of 99 comms for 99 comms and send to whatever alt you want

Ranked PvP

•For solo ranked you now need 2018 expertise to join queue (group ranked have no restrictions). This was done to reduce trolling.

•There will now be season specific tokens (big amount) at the end of the season based on the tier you get. You will no longer gain ranked comms, you will get season specific tokens throughout the season. At the end of the season, you can buy rewards from all tiers based on your performance

◦The tokens are bound to character.

◦The more matches you play, the more tokens you get. You’ll be able to buy Tier 1 rewards even if you only ever get to Bronze!

◦Mounts might be purchaseable even if you only ever get Bronze, but you’ll have to play A LOT

•A new ratio/system rewards you with tokens / medals. Winning gives more tokens obviously.

•Tokens you get in for example season 6 will be usable during season 7, then removed forever by being converted into warzone commendations. You’ll have an entire season to spend LAST SEASONS tokens on the rewards

•There’s going to be one exclusive reward per tier that you need to get x rating to get. Not the Top 96 rewards, but something new.

•Top 96 will get everything + exlusive top 96 as usual.They have looked into adding top 96 per server, but will not happen now.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not absurd, the idea is probably to have more progress on voidstars, more hotly contested ACW centers too. Might be too easy to cap now though.

Shortening the channel on capping seems like it would be an easier fix, and doesn't make brainless zerging a door with everybody casting the cap the best option.

Loving these PvP changes. I am a pretty noob to the ways of PvP despite spending the better part of the last year developing my PvP game. So I never really was able to get any Ranked PvP rewards and that makes me sad. Now I won't have to be as sad.

Shortening the channel on capping seems like it would be an easier fix, and doesn't make brainless zerging a door with everybody casting the cap the best option.

Yeah, no. SAP capping has always been a thing but the last thing you want is for them to also be able to cap within the duration of a standard mez

The AOE change is absurd, but the rest sounds half decent.

Only HALF absurd? The survivability of Force users vs non force users in pvp is crap and that is what they should work on. It's one op class after another... operative heals were op and now stealth and non stealth force users. The advantage of stealth is obvious and then give them a lengthy immunity, burst dps, AND the ability to leave combat? ***? This whole class imbalance is absurd and the people that fracking broke it is still in fracking charge of fixing it... THAT'S ABSURD! :mad:

A lot of things there I like, but there are a few I'm a bit iffy on.

1) The 'buy everything for Season Comms' - I certainly see the advantage to this, and I do think it will probably increase participation, but I am kind of sad to see the 'competitive' reward track being watered down a bit. By that I mean that I liked that there were some rewards that were obtainable by grinding (Reg & Ranked WZ gear) and some that were available solely through doing well in a competition (the seasonal Tier rewards) - if they're now shifting a significant amount of the rewards to a potential 'grinding' track, I feel like some of the diversity is lost.

If the "exclusive reward per tier" is something particularly good, then I think I'll be fine with the new system, but I have a suspicion that's just going to be the Trophy: Season [X] Bronze / Silver / Gold decorations.

2) The AoE change - if they were to also limit the number of concurrent cappers to three or so per node, then I think it will be fine (and a good change overall), but without some sort of limit it does seem like this will be a absolute nightmare for a PUG to divvy up targets if the other team zerg-caps a node. Organized teams will go from ROFL-stomping PUGs to OMG!ROFL-stomping PUGs. I guess PTS playtesting will show how this bears out though.

The AOE change is absurd, but the rest sounds half decent.

The AOE change isn't set in stone. If people on the PTS voice that it is not good, then it won't come out in the patch. I think he made it pretty clear on the Podcast that this idea is experimental and can easily be changed to revert to how they work currently. So if you don't want to see the AOE's changed, go on the PTS and see how it affects the gameplay and then voice your opinions on the PTS forums. I think the intention behind this change is good (it is annoying to try and remove a bomb from a door on VS when their are constant AOE's being thrown around from 30+ meters away), but I am personally concerned that it will be too easy to cap with AOE's changed to now interupt, but I can't make my final judgement til I try it out on the PTS. If the change does go through, then I think maybe the time to cap might need to be increased to allow people a second or 2 to try and manually/tab target that person.

I did not do ranked much, as I perfer the warzones, over that of arenas. Even I could not understand why they did not make ranked more exclusive to people who actually geared up in pvp gear. This change is a good one. Heck most of these changes are good.

The one thing I do not agree with is the aoe change, though I understand the reasoning, its obvious that the stealth classes will abuse this in abundance. I wouldn't hold out any hope that the pts server informs the devs of this, as anyone will a stealth class will say this is a great change. Aoes are the only weapon to stop and hit a stealther capping, and make sure to hit anymore that may be around waiting to cut in and cap. The aoe change looks at one angle, meaning the classes that cant stealth, but it does not look at the angle of the classes that can stealth.

It's a few goodies, but what it isn't is a pvp overhaul. There were no new wzs for 3.3, no x-server or x-faction or "better than x-server" systems, no mention of dying server pops (surprising since the podcasters are from JM which is probably the lightest server in America) and no acknowledgement of significant balance issues. There is one change incoming for capping mechanics (if people don't complain it away as many are trying to do) and some changes to the pvp rewards/cost structures, but that's hardly an overhaul...

So, you should be happy then, right? I mean, if a patch gave me everything I wanted except one thing, I'd be pretty stoked. You can't possibly be complaining, right?

without more wz pops all the changes are pointless. your still in the same boat of not getting matches. This isnt a pvp fix its a pvp band-aid.

Edited by Ferrnitty

It's a few goodies, but what it isn't is a pvp overhaul. There were no new wzs for 3.3, no x-server or x-faction or "better than x-server" systems, no mention of dying server pops (surprising since the podcasters are from JM which is probably the lightest server in America) and no acknowledgement of significant balance issues. There is one change incoming for capping mechanics (if people don't complain it away as many are trying to do) and some changes to the pvp rewards/cost structures, but that's hardly an overhaul...

^^^^^ this guy gets it!!!!