Interview with Alex Modny and Eric Musco on Bad Feeling Podcast

iamnotshrek

• Replies 442
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As for VS, isn't it more exciting to see who races to the datacore faster than who gets more kills at the first door? The change may make the game too offensive, but the warzones play out far too defensively in the current state imo.

Well I assume that the timer disparity in VS still exists. 6 or 8 to arm (been awhile since I bothered to PvP) and 3 to remove. I'd think this would make VS more easily defend-able assuming teams being fairly equal. Which may stop the crazy fast runs...

My biggest concern is that this is an attempt to lengthen the amount of time spent in a WZ. The more time people spend in a match, the less time they are spending waiting in queue, hence the perception of better WZ time spent. The doubling of XP and Coin only adds to my thinking on this. It allows better defense of VS, but makes Denova, AH, and ACW have more switching and contested nodes. This would make all 4 of these WZ average a longer uptime. In all of this I am surprised t hey did not add a cooldown timer to HB after you score that you cannot get the ball for like 30 or 60 sec...

174 is accurate. I typo'd :jawa_mad:

I know. I was just trying to be "that" guy :rak_03:

Thank you for the follow-ups, Alex. Communication is always appreciated around here, even if we don't always agree with what is said.

Edited by Jimmajamma

i really like the changes, but just have on thing to say about the aoe node cap interruption. I can completely understand where you are coming from, but it seems like you are punishing the group when if fact it is only a few culprits responsible, namely the ranged channeled aoes without cds (and to some extent orbital strike). A lot of people like to stand in the back and cheese using those aoes to prevent anyone ever even getting a chance to cap and that is definitely a reason there are so many stalemates. For those aoes, i think it would be fine to not let them interrupt a cap, but for aoes that do have cds like fragmentation grenade, smash, death from above or death field or aoes that take some skill to use like lacerate, carbine burst, double saber toss or whatever the knight/warrior class has should still be able to do its job. You can't cheese with any of those, and they require skill and knowledge of when to use.

At the very least make aoes that have a specified target like fragmentation grenade, smash or double saber toss still be able to interrupt as those are the classes that will be hurt the most by this change.

this!

Sorry to double post. One thing to be aware of Bioware: People that will now try to maybe go AFK in ranked warzones knowing that they need as many ranked as possible to get gold ranked rewards. It was always a problem, now it could be higher (?). I'm not sure, but something guildies and I thought about.

AOE's in warzones can no longer interrupt captures. Justification is that it will make stalemates less common. (they would like some feedback on this)

Does this have to be an all or nothing type thing? Would it instead be possible to only remove the ability for specific aoes to interrupt caps? Perhaps make this change only to the spammable, utility buffable aoes (namely Force Storm, Sweeping Blasters, Suppressive Fire, Sweeping Slash, Flame Sweep, Carbine Burst, Lacerate, and mirrors).

174 is accurate. I typo'd :jawa_mad:

Hi Alex! When can we see a Sniper Patch of Love? It's needed... either change the class or the enviroment.

Btw why didn't you buff Shield Probe like you did Static Barrier?

Edited by VdFExarKun

I really like the changes, but just have on thing to say about the AoE node cap interruption. I can completely understand where you are coming from, but it seems like you are punishing the group when if fact it is only a few culprits responsible, namely the ranged channeled AoEs without CDs (and to some extent orbital strike). A lot of people like to stand in the back and cheese using those AoEs to prevent anyone ever even getting a chance to cap and that is definitely a reason there are so many stalemates. For those AoEs, I think it would be fine to not let them interrupt a cap, but for AoEs that do have CDs like fragmentation grenade, smash, death from above or death field or AoEs that take some skill to use like lacerate, carbine burst, double saber toss or whatever the knight/warrior class has should still be able to do its job. You can't cheese with any of those, and they require skill and knowledge of when to use.

At the very least make AoEs that have a specified target like fragmentation grenade, smash or double saber toss still be able to interrupt as those are the classes that will be hurt the most by this change.

I absolutely agree!!! Well stated post too!

Does this have to be an all or nothing type thing? Would it instead be possible to only remove the ability for specific aoes to interrupt caps? Perhaps make this change only to the spammable, utility buffable aoes (namely Force Storm, Sweeping Blasters, Suppressive Fire, Sweeping Slash, Flame Sweep, Carbine Burst, Lacerate, and mirrors).

Great question!!!

Hi Alex! When can we see a Sniper Patch of Love? It's needed... either change the class or the enviroment.

Btw why didn't you buff Shield Probe like you did Static Barrier?

Not sure Alex can help with these. He deals with PvP development like warzones and ranked seasons, but not class balance if I remember correctly.

When they were asked why PTs and Sins/Sorcs are still broken and dominating ranked they pretty much said just stated "we're seeing the bigger picture and you don't, so basically we're right and it's more or less fine".

So, 2/3 of Tier 1 Season 4 (>1650 rating) being either PT, assin or sorc is a smaller picture?

For the AOE damage thing, personally I think it's a bad idea but I have a follow on question to it.

Will AOE knock back abilities be affected by this?

Most of them have some form of damage attached to it and I would hate to see the "no damage from AoE attacks" over ride both the damage from these abilities and the actual knock back mechanic.

5. The devs would like to hear your thoughts on whether rewards from previous ranked PvP seasons should become available again. Their current stance is that they feel these should remain exclusive but are open to feedback.

In response to bringing back previous rewards from other seasons. Please don't. If anything make them unlockable via collections. But don't bring them back through any other means.

Hey everyone, I hope y'all enjoy the podcast. Chuck and Brian are awesome and I hope you enjoy their show (and don't find my ummmming too obnoxious :sul_embarrassed:). Despite Chuck's protest it really was an honor to be on their show and it was very special for me personally.

There is a lot of information on the changes that we covered and we are going to make an official post about all the changes next week but until then please ask away if you have questions about the podcast that I can answer.

Ummmmmm, cheers!

In my opinion, these changes are as big as going away from the original RNG boxes that we used to get for Champion gear. These changes to the core of the reward and token system for PvP as a whole is huge and I greatly welcome it. I have 20 60's ready to partake in a lot more PvP, as I used to.

Is there any ball park timeframe when these changes will begin to be released? Understandable if it's way too soon to throw that out there, but can't hurt to ask. Hopefully I didn't miss it in this thread.

Calling AOE effective at stopping caps is an understatement. Spamming AE is 100% total area denial and while it's going on nobody will be able to cap at all. It requires no skill at all and no line of sight.

With this change now you will see a separation of good and bad players. The good players will find a way to stop those caps and the bad ones who relied on AE won't.

This is a good change for PVP.

If you really can't live without AE interrupting caps then roll a class with an AE cc ability/knockback or just keep plenty of cc grenades on you.

Good players have a way to stop people from AOEing the node while someone caps, it's called CCing the person(s) doing the AOEs. If 8 people are being stopped by 1 person AOEing a node, the problem exists between the chair and keyboard OF THOSE 8 PEOPLE.

This will only make pvp worse, because now you can stack 4 or 6 people together and GUARANTEE a cap before the other team can stop you (number depends on the cap activation, 6 seconds for AHG means you only need 4 people, 8 seconds for ACW means 6 guarantees a cap. The other side cannot cycle targets fast enough to prevent it, regardless of how many are there.

Trust me, it's a dumb idea because this is EXACTLY what players will do, zerg cap a node. Prepare for Cap Wars, where pvp has devolved into two sides spam capping nodes stacked on top of each other.

I think these changes are great, with the exception of the interrupts. Requiring single-target abilities to interrupt captures sounds good on paper, but it will end horribly in reality. A group of 8 people can simply spam an objective and capture it with nothing more than luck. That means less combat and much less fun.

The other thing I want to point out is how we're still going to have to wait a long while to get another Warzone, and might never get another GSF map. That is simply unacceptable. People get bored of the current maps. Saying "GSF isn't dead but we're not planning to add anything" nearly kills GSF. When players hear that their hopes of new content are for nothing, many will simply stop playing.

As for everything else, I agree. Gear should be easier to get, Ranked should require max expertise to enter, and this will put a heavy emphasis on SKILL rather than gear, as it should be. This will also mean more players in Ranked, as gearing is much easier (a lot of good players simply don't bother with Ranked because it takes so long to get BiS).

Edited by idnewton

So...

1. No more ranked commendations. Ranked gear will now cost regular commendations. Ranked commendations will transfer at a 1:1 ratio and YES there will be a soft cap. However, they are saying 200000 is the new limit for commendations so I cannot see how its possible to go over that, after all 4500 + 2750 = 7250. I'm ok with this.

2. Reduced costs for unranked and ranked gear. Good with this.

3. More XP and credits per win. Very good with this.

4. Legacy method to move commendations from toon to toon. Love this one.

5. You MUST have 2018 expertise to queue solo ranked. ABOUT FRIGGIN TIME!

Overall I am okay with these. It does bring up the question, why did it take so long to implement much of this? All of these things have been requested for a very long time.

I do feel a little sad being in the 2% of us that ground out a full ranked set (or in my case five ranked legacy sets along with implants, relics, and ear, and weapon for 7 out of 8 PVP characters), and getting the shaft for having ground out the gear already. I don't expect a refund but now I feel like I should have taken the past 6 months off along with MUCH of the PVP community that is gone already. Pre 3.3 title for being in the 2% anyone?

I am afraid of endless spam capping and having to spend long periods of time single targeting a few spam cappers instead of fighting those attacking you or killing hearls. I don't like this at all.

Edited by mattjurado

So...

1. No more ranked commendations. Ranked gear will now cost regular commendations. Ranked commendations will transfer at a 1:1 ratio and YES there will be a soft cap. However, they are saying 200000 is the new limit for commendations so I cannot see how its possible to go over that, after all 4500 + 2750 = 7250. I'm ok with this.

2. Reduced costs for unranked and ranked gear. Good with this.

3. More XP and credits per win. Very good with this.

4. Legacy method to move commendations from toon to toon. Love this one.

5. You MUST have 2018 expertise to queue solo ranked. ABOUT FRIGGIN TIME!

Overall I am okay with these. It does bring up the question, why did it take so long to implement much of this? All of these things have been requested for a very long time.

I do feel a little sad being in the 2% of us that ground out a full ranked set (or in my case five ranked legacy sets along with implants, relics, and ear, and weapon for 7 out of 8 PVP characters), and getting the shaft for having ground out the gear already. I don't expect a refund but now I feel like I should have taken the past 6 months off along with MUCH of the PVP community that is gone already. Pre 3.3 title for being in the 2% anyone? Anyways my 2 cents.

Yeah, I'm not really sure how someone could exceed the new comm cap either.

Still, be careful what you wish for, obim. You won't be able to hide behind your gear anymore, and you're the first one I'm coming for :D

Edited by idnewton

This will only make pvp worse, because now you can stack 4 or 6 people together and GUARANTEE a cap before the other team can stop you (number depends on the cap activation, 6 seconds for AHG means you only need 4 people, 8 seconds for ACW means 6 guarantees a cap. The other side cannot cycle targets fast enough to prevent it, regardless of how many are there.

Trust me, it's a dumb idea because this is EXACTLY what players will do, zerg cap a node. Prepare for Cap Wars, where pvp has devolved into two sides spam capping nodes stacked on top of each other.

Why don't you think 4 players can cycle targets fast enough to prevent 6 from getting a cap exactly? Are we all starting with closest player only? If so, that's just stupid.

Players will need to adjust their tactics...that's all this change does. 1 player shouldn't be able to hold off 8 others...I like what this change may do.

Good players have a way to stop people from AOEing the node while someone caps, it's called CCing the person(s) doing the AOEs. If 8 people are being stopped by 1 person AOEing a node, the problem exists between the chair and keyboard OF THOSE 8 PEOPLE.

Think in terms of multiple people. What if it's a 3v2? With CC breaks, CC immunities, etc. in the game, keeping 2 people CC'd is difficult if even possible. CCing one and forcing the other to try and individually rotate through 3 people to stop caps is what makes this idea viable. It only takes 1 tick to stop all of the cappers, so you CC both players and one breaks CC right before you cap and AOEs the three people. You CC both players again and the other player breaks the CC with CC breaker immediately as they have full resolve. Now you have a 3v2 with 2 targets that can't be CC'd and wasted at least 10 seconds in which the other team can respond.

I'm not saying this idea is perfect, but this thread is full of people trying to explain why this isn't going to work rather than thinking about ways it could improve gameplay. Try it on PTS and we'll see how it plays out. We may see that it's far too difficult to prevent zerg capping and it will have to be adjusted. I just wish people were keeping more of an open mind rather than shooting down the change before they experience it.