Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Fun science: How to make a lightsaber

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
Fun science: How to make a lightsaber

spencer_'s Avatar


spencer_
12.27.2011 , 03:51 AM | #21
According to the wiki, a lightsaber doesn't go out and stop, it goes out, loops, and comes back in.

Its looped energy, which is much easier to do than stopping energy.

"The blade typically extended about a meter before being arced by the blade containment field back to a negatively charged fissure ringing the emitter, where it was channeled back to the power cell by a superconductor, completing the circuit."

Which is also the reason power cells are so rarely replaced. The lightsaber doesn't expend much energy unless the blade comes in contact with something.

There are still a lot of problems with creating a real lightsaber, but the expanded universe guys have done a pretty good job of making it just believable enough that scientists are actually thinking it may one day be possible. And the day it is will probably be declared a global holiday by nerds everywhere. It shall be glorious...

Haajib's Avatar


Haajib
12.27.2011 , 09:07 AM | #22
build a protosaber first, then use dark energy to contain the light in a lighsaber

jarjarloves's Avatar


jarjarloves
12.27.2011 , 01:19 PM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by pommopsicle View Post
o.0 everybody knows that a lightsaber is really just the force amplifyed through a power crystal. it said this in one of the books i think. and everybodys lightsaber is so fine tuned to thier own force, which is why it is extremely difficult to deflect other jedis lightsabers with your force, like in the cinematic.
This is an explanation I can actually accept. When you try to add real world science behind a weapon that goes against every law of physics it becomes ridiculous. However when you explain it using the rules of that universe it is acceptable.


Just like how the Force is cool when Yoda Explains it in Empire but sounds bad when Qui Gon explains it in the Phantom Meance.

LordMerrick's Avatar


LordMerrick
12.27.2011 , 01:23 PM | #24
The real problem is even if you managed to invent a working lightsaber its not actually safe enough for anyone to use. You're equally likely to cut your own body parts off as anyone else's, regardless of training. Which is why only force sensitives can wield them.


But for argument's sake, it seems plausible the amount of magnetism being used to direct plasma could be so evenly matched to the plasma that there is no magnetic force left over to attract coins or any other metal outside the blade. Like two perfectly match sound waves canceling each other out. In this light it is possible to magnetically control a beam of plasma with not unwanted side effects. Aren't they currently working on a way to create a tool like this for industrial purposes? Or so I heard

jarjarloves's Avatar


jarjarloves
12.27.2011 , 02:55 PM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by LordMerrick View Post
The real problem is even if you managed to invent a working lightsaber its not actually safe enough for anyone to use. You're equally likely to cut your own body parts off as anyone else's, regardless of training. Which is why only force sensitives can wield them.


But for argument's sake, it seems plausible the amount of magnetism being used to direct plasma could be so evenly matched to the plasma that there is no magnetic force left over to attract coins or any other metal outside the blade. Like two perfectly match sound waves canceling each other out. In this light it is possible to magnetically control a beam of plasma with not unwanted side effects. Aren't they currently working on a way to create a tool like this for industrial purposes? Or so I heard
while yes that is possible however you need the magnetic field to be strong enough to deflect blaster bolts or defelct other light sabers. That's where it ends up having to be extremely powerful and can suck in coins.

If you just want it to keep the plasma in place then ok but if you want to actually do anything then it becomes unrealistic.

LordMerrick's Avatar


LordMerrick
12.27.2011 , 05:04 PM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by jarjarloves View Post
while yes that is possible however you need the magnetic field to be strong enough to deflect blaster bolts or defelct other light sabers. That's where it ends up having to be extremely powerful and can suck in coins.

If you just want it to keep the plasma in place then ok but if you want to actually do anything then it becomes unrealistic.

It may be possible to create a cutting plasma blade, what for all intents and purposes is a lightsaber, but cannot deflect blaster bolts, which themselves have yet to be invented. This is still a very useful sword, capable of cutting through anything, yes? If all plasma blades are of the same charge they will still repel each other, while cutting directly through any other kind of sword with ease. In effect you have a light saber that doesnt deflect bullets. This seems an actual possibility, one that could be realized at some point in the future. Its still a lightsaber in all other respects. Or am i missing something?

AJGeraden's Avatar


AJGeraden
12.27.2011 , 05:34 PM | #27
What really sucks is that, assuming every one of these obstacles is overcome and someone creates a plasma blade that looks like a lightsaber and cuts like a lightsaber, it will never be possible to sword duel with them, the blades would just pass through each other.

jarjarloves's Avatar


jarjarloves
12.27.2011 , 07:24 PM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by LordMerrick View Post
It may be possible to create a cutting plasma blade, what for all intents and purposes is a lightsaber, but cannot deflect blaster bolts, which themselves have yet to be invented. This is still a very useful sword, capable of cutting through anything, yes? If all plasma blades are of the same charge they will still repel each other, while cutting directly through any other kind of sword with ease. In effect you have a light saber that doesnt deflect bullets. This seems an actual possibility, one that could be realized at some point in the future. Its still a lightsaber in all other respects. Or am i missing something?
I disagree about it being just a cutting blade. The light saber is more then that as it seems to have a solid part to it with it being able to also perry and deflect other light sabers.


If you just make it a plasma blade then two blades would go right through each other. That is a pretty major part of it.

LordMerrick's Avatar


LordMerrick
12.27.2011 , 08:52 PM | #29
nobody read this part of my post? "If all plasma blades are of the same charge they will still repel each other,"

anyhow I'm no physicist but a very high concentration of superheated plasma would act somewhat like a solid, in that coming in contact with another blade of plasma would provide resistance enough to block the attack, even apart from magnetic repulsion. The same resistance upon contact with matter would also occur, except that the plasma cut a path thru the matter quicker than any tactile feedback could possibly make you aware of resistance. The way a hot knife slides through butter with no pressure applied.

If this were not so, we would not be able to channel plasma thru metal conduits such as with the plasma propulsion engines they designed for long range space travel. Plasma does not simply phase through metal, unless hot enough to melt its way through, and likewise, high density plasma would not phase through a separate beam of high density plasma.

IE the ONLY difference is that it wont be reflecting blaster bolts

jarjarloves's Avatar


jarjarloves
12.28.2011 , 01:56 AM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by LordMerrick View Post
nobody read this part of my post? "If all plasma blades are of the same charge they will still repel each other,"

anyhow I'm no physicist but a very high concentration of superheated plasma would act somewhat like a solid, in that coming in contact with another blade of plasma would provide resistance enough to block the attack, even apart from magnetic repulsion. The same resistance upon contact with matter would also occur, except that the plasma cut a path thru the matter quicker than any tactile feedback could possibly make you aware of resistance. The way a hot knife slides through butter with no pressure applied.

If this were not so, we would not be able to channel plasma thru metal conduits such as with the plasma propulsion engines they designed for long range space travel. Plasma does not simply phase through metal, unless hot enough to melt its way through, and likewise, high density plasma would not phase through a separate beam of high density plasma.

IE the ONLY difference is that it wont be reflecting blaster bolts
Doesn't matter if they are just the same charge the magnetic field would have to be incredibly strong.


Think about two magnets. If they are the same charge they repel correct? However think about how strong they have to be for you not to be able to force them together.

So for the lightsaber to repel another light saber it would have to have an extremely strong magnetic field to repel the other blade. So strong that you using all your force could not overcome the repulsion of it. Of course the stronger the magnetic field the farther out it goes.


So you would have light saber battles where the blades slow down as they get close to each other and never actually hit. Or the field isn't strong enough and you are able to overcome it and again the blades pass right through each other.


And if the blades are of opposite charges then they would be attracted to each other. Which would lead to some really funny lightsaber duels but again... still not a real light saber.

Trying to apply real world science to make something that came from someones imagination is not going to work. Keep in mind Lucas originally called them Laser Swords.


Oh and the Plasma would not act like a solid it would act like a gas which is what it is.