Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Balancing Slicing: A Rational Discussion.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Crew Skills
Balancing Slicing: A Rational Discussion.

Freeborne
12.27.2011 , 01:09 PM | #1
Hello,

Let me preface this by saying that I have not done any slicing since today's patch, so I do not have any information on how "nerfed" it was. Ideally a player would want to run at least 50 slicing missions to get a better view of what kind of returns it has. Any results given at 1 pm after patch day would be anecdotal at best.

I'd like to talk in general terms about three possible outcomes of Slicing. It is my hope a moderator or developer will read this, and possibly shed some light on what the goal of slicing is.

A few things first:

1. For the purposes of this dialogue, I am ignoring credits you receive from slicing nodes in the wild. They certainly have their purpose, but I'm more interested in the mission results.

2. My questions are for slicing at skill 400, and not the profit/loss you may have with slicing as you level it.

3. Slicing has an element of chance, when I say profit/loss, I mean on average, and over time.

4. I will assume any physical rewards from slicing (recipes, augments, etc) are not sold. The value of these varies greatly from player to player, and server to server.

What Slicing Is Meant To Be, One Of The Three:

1. Slicing is a tool to gain Mission Recipes, Cybertech Recipes, and Augments while losing credits.

or

2. Slicing is a tool to gain Mission Recipes, Cybertech Recipes, and Augments while breaking even on credits.

or

3. Slicing is a tool to gain Mission Recipes, Cybertech Recipes, and Augments while gaining credits.

Would a developer be willing to tell us which of these roles Slicing is meant to fulfill? (Again, over time and averaged through multiple missions.) If the intent is number three, then I'll leave you to your balancing--you have a clearer view of the numbers than we do.

If the intent is 1, or 2, then I respectfully request you review how Augment missions are handled. (Or how Augment slots are created.) Right Now Augment Missions:

1. Cost Twice As Much
2. Take Twice As Long
3. Return an Augment with a Random Stat.
4. Are only used in equipment that require random critical success to create the slot.

Do you know why I send my 400 slicer on Credit Box runs? Because Augment runs aren't worth it. I'm level 37, and I've only found 1 piece of gear with an augment slot--a crafted green ear piece on the auction house.

Like I said though, if your intent with Slicing is have us use it to make money...then I can live with random rolls for Augments--I'll always have enough money to fund them. However, if instead Augments are suppose to be "the thing" people go to slicers for, then we need to make augment slots easier to make, and augment types easier to acquire.
The Ebon Hawk: 50 Commando, Shep'ard. 50 Guardian, Asha'man
Want a global LFG channel? Type "/cjoin LFG" on your server and get others to do the same!

Trineda
12.27.2011 , 02:47 PM | #2
Hello everyone,

The recent changes to Slicing are a hot topic right now. We are closing this thread in order to keep this discussion organized. Please redirect your posts to the current thread on the Slicing changes. We appreciate your understanding, Thank You!