Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Encouraging real-life death.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Encouraging real-life death.

LyraineAlei's Avatar


LyraineAlei
03.25.2015 , 08:45 AM | #41
Quote: Originally Posted by Bobs_YourUncle View Post
Well with your logic, since we are doing that, we have the freedom of murder. The actual crime you are committing when screaming bomb or yelling fire into a crowd, would be something like instigating a riot or disturbing the peace or something, im not sure the actual name off hand. Same as you cant go yelling expletives in the streets, though you are completely free to say expletives, just not free to disturb the peace.

Edit: I think you are wrong on your last part too. One has to be proven to have intentionally manipulated the person to kill themselves. Maybe that has changed and one can now be convicted of murder for stating you think someone should go and die. be interesting to read that case you are referring to for precedence.
I was using your logic. And we do have the freedom to murder people. And then we have to live with the consequence (guilt, hiding the body, trials, etc.etc.)

I'm not a lawyer, I just remember that there was a huge trial some years back about someone online telling another person they should go off themselves.

Bobs_YourUncle's Avatar


Bobs_YourUncle
03.25.2015 , 09:07 AM | #42
Quote: Originally Posted by LyraineAlei View Post
I was using your logic. And we do have the freedom to murder people. And then we have to live with the consequence (guilt, hiding the body, trials, etc.etc.)

I'm not a lawyer, I just remember that there was a huge trial some years back about someone online telling another person they should go off themselves.
Yes, then I used yours. Anyways, bottom line is I don't share the opinion that speech should be against the law. Of course, charges can result from almost anything, but I don't think we have reached the point in the US where speech is against the law. Manslaughter, Murder, disturbing of the peace, those are against the law, speech is not that I know of. Anything resembling such is either A. not been challenged in court yet, or B. Such laws were ruled constitutional because they do not limit the freedom of speech itself, but it resulting directly in violation of other laws, i.e. instigating a riot. There was a case long ago about police of some level, city/county/state, arresting a guy for cussing that I read about and when the constitutionality of this law was challenged, the courts ruled that one can cuss, but cannot disturb the peace, so they changed the law. Its a grey area that I have no doubt some states/cities or even on the federal level, have made laws against the use of words, but that doesn't mean its constitutional or that it should be so. In any case, I have looked into it a bit and only found that speech itself is not against the law, nor can it be constitutionally, based on precedence, and so laws are carefully designed not to make any speech illegal specifically.

Edit: Let me clarify. By consequences, I mean against the law. Feeling bad about doing something you were free to do is not what I was referring to, but if that's what was intended by the use of the word "Consequences", I stand corrected. Everything comes with consequence of some sort, yes. I would never argue that BW/EA, or any company for that matter cant make rules against speech as a stipulation to partaking in their product and services. Just that its better if people toughen up, especially on the interwebz.

RiVaN_'s Avatar


RiVaN_
03.25.2015 , 09:38 AM | #43
Quote: Originally Posted by Fevee View Post
Telling someone to go kill themselves in real life, doesn't sound like a friendly game environment to me.

I can probably write an in-game ticket, but I'm afraid all I'm ever going to get is Protocol Unit 1.D.G.4.F. telling me that "Galactic support is our specialty." and the offending player isn't even going to get a slap on the wrist.

Honestly, I just want a bit of player (maybe even a Dev) to confirm/deny whether or not encouraging real-life suicide is a reportable offense or not.

Or, am I just being "butt hurt" and should move on with the game; letting him be.
This falls into the realm of Cyber Bullying and is a crime, dependent on the severity it can be a federal crime. If you report it they have a legal responsibility to follow up. If you feel strongly enough about the persons actions get an attorney involved and have them assist you in communicating with BW so that you can file charges.
If you feel that what I just described is too "extreme" for what you experienced, then your only other choice is to put the person on ignore and move on as another person who posted in this thread suggested.

Quote: Originally Posted by Bobs_YourUncle View Post
Yes, then I used yours. Anyways, bottom line is I don't share the opinion that speech should be against the law. Of course, charges can result from almost anything, but I don't think we have reached the point in the US where speech is against the law. Manslaughter, Murder, disturbing of the peace, those are against the law, speech is not that I know of. Anything resembling such is either A. not been challenged in court yet, or B. Such laws were ruled constitutional because they do not limit the freedom of speech itself, but it resulting directly in violation of other laws, i.e. instigating a riot. There was a case long ago about police of some level, city/county/state, arresting a guy for cussing that I read about and when the constitutionality of this law was challenged, the courts ruled that one can cuss, but cannot disturb the peace, so they changed the law. Its a grey area that I have no doubt some states/cities or even on the federal level, have made laws against the use of words, but that doesn't mean its constitutional or that it should be so. In any case, I have looked into it a bit and only found that speech itself is not against the law, nor can it be constitutionally, based on precedence, and so laws are carefully designed not to make any speech illegal specifically.

Edit: Let me clarify. By consequences, I mean against the law. Feeling bad about doing something you were free to do is not what I was referring to, but if that's what was intended by the use of the word "Consequences", I stand corrected. Everything comes with consequence of some sort, yes. I would never argue that BW/EA, or any company for that matter cant make rules against speech as a stipulation to partaking in their product and services. Just that its better if people toughen up, especially on the interwebz.
I am not an attorney either, but I deal with Cyberbullying on a weekly basis and I can tell you, Directly from the mouth of my local Sheriff, telling someone that they should go kill themselves is, most definitely cyber bullying and will result in charges when the person who made the statement is able to be identified.
Speech isn't against the law, telling someone that they should commit suicide is. If you have a question about that go to your local police station and ask them.
Nikolete, Scoundrel - Republic Flashfire
Drivan, Sentinel - Souls of Fate

Jedi Covenant

SelinaH's Avatar


SelinaH
03.25.2015 , 10:00 AM | #44
Whether or not telling someone to go die qualifies as "free speech" is irrelevant. The right to free speech (at least in the US) does not apply to privately owned games, fora or other media, and BW/EA have set certain Rules of Conduct for these venues.

Where the free speech issue might come into play is if the incident is actually escalated to law enforcement. At that point we'd see whether cyberbulllying laws apply in this case.
"Homogeneity breeds weakness: theoretical blind spots, stale paradigms, an echo-chamber mentality, and cults of personality. A diverse dramatis personae is a powerful tonic against these ailments." -V.S. Ramachandran
"Relax. Stupidity produces antibodies." -Susie Derkins

Bobs_YourUncle's Avatar


Bobs_YourUncle
03.25.2015 , 10:04 AM | #45
Quote: Originally Posted by RiVaN_ View Post
I am not an attorney either, but I deal with Cyberbullying on a weekly basis and I can tell you, Directly from the mouth of my local Sheriff, telling someone that they should go kill themselves is, most definitely cyber bullying and will result in charges when the person who made the statement is able to be identified.
Speech isn't against the law, telling someone that they should commit suicide is. If you have a question about that go to your local police station and ask them.
I find that very hard to believe, but given I'm not one to go around telling people they should kill themselves, I cant be bothered to inquire about it. Pretty sad if it is, and the implications alarming. Cussing was against the law at one point too, somewhere. Im glad the supreme court ruled that law unconstitutional. Anyways, I believe the only things that should be against the law is speech threatening harm to another or another intention to violate another's rights. One day, I will wake up and wont be able to say I think someone is a moron because if that person heard/read it and then went and offed themselves, I could be arrested. Sigh...

LyraineAlei's Avatar


LyraineAlei
03.25.2015 , 10:39 AM | #46
Quote: Originally Posted by Bobs_YourUncle View Post
I find that very hard to believe, but given I'm not one to go around telling people they should kill themselves, I cant be bothered to inquire about it. Pretty sad if it is, and the implications alarming. Cussing was against the law at one point too, somewhere. Im glad the supreme court ruled that law unconstitutional. Anyways, I believe the only things that should be against the law is speech threatening harm to another or another intention to violate another's rights. One day, I will wake up and wont be able to say I think someone is a moron because if that person heard/read it and then went and offed themselves, I could be arrested. Sigh...
Calling someone a name ("moron" in your example) maybe cyber bullying, but IMHO, not something people should get in a tizzy over.

Telling someone "you should just die" or something is not the same thing as calling someone a moron.

That was my logic from the start, and I believe the logic a few other posters are using.

Edit:
Quote: Originally Posted by Bobs_YourUncle View Post
Edit: Let me clarify. By consequences, I mean against the law. Feeling bad about doing something you were free to do is not what I was referring to, but if that's what was intended by the use of the word "Consequences", I stand corrected. Everything comes with consequence of some sort, yes. I would never argue that BW/EA, or any company for that matter cant make rules against speech as a stipulation to partaking in their product and services. Just that its better if people toughen up, especially on the interwebz.
My definition of consequences is " anything that comes as a result of an earlier action, ranging from emotional feeling ("feeling bad"), to being grounded and sent to your room, to jail time, fines, and in extreme cases the death penalty (as this point and time, some places still use it, not that cyberbullies should be put to death, that's another topic entirely)." So my definition was just a broader one from yours.

Bobs_YourUncle's Avatar


Bobs_YourUncle
03.25.2015 , 10:45 AM | #47
Quote: Originally Posted by LyraineAlei View Post
Calling someone a name ("moron" in your example) maybe cyber bullying, but IMHO, not something people should get in a tizzy over.

Telling someone "you should just die" or something is not the same thing as calling someone a moron.

That was my logic from the start, and I believe the logic a few other posters are using.
But its all based on your opinion. I actually find them both to be equal. Both words, intended to offend another. I cant rationalize making one punishable by law and the other not since I don't think we have a right not to be offended. What would happen to "yo momma" jokes??? I don't want to live in a world without "yo momma" jokes.

AshenK's Avatar


AshenK
03.25.2015 , 10:59 AM | #48
its the internet just grow a thicker skin and deal with it.

TUXs's Avatar


TUXs
03.25.2015 , 11:06 AM | #49
Quote: Originally Posted by AshenK View Post
its the internet just grow a thicker skin and deal with it.
Just because it's the Internet, doesn't mean you're free to say and do whatever you like.
All warfare is based on deception If his forces are united, separate them If you are far from the enemy, make him believe you are near A leader leads by example not by force
My referral code: here What you get: here (1 FREE transfer 7-day FREE sub FREE Jumpstart and Preferred Bundles)

ImmortalLowlife's Avatar


ImmortalLowlife
03.25.2015 , 11:08 AM | #50
Quote: Originally Posted by Bobs_YourUncle View Post
But its all based on your opinion. I actually find them both to be equal. Both words, intended to offend another. I cant rationalize making one punishable by law and the other not since I don't think we have a right not to be offended. What would happen to "yo momma" jokes??? I don't want to live in a world without "yo momma" jokes.
Exactly...it's all based on opinion and your environment. I don't do it on this message board, or in gen chat in game because imo ppl to sensitive. But around MY friends and family, I'll tell em "kill yo self" in a heartbeat. Because THEY understand when I say it I don't ACTUALLY mean for them to go do it. Were I'm from it's got the same meaning as telling someone to "go jump in the lake". OUR definition would be THIS...
"There is no Light Side...There is no Dark Side...there is only The Force..."

And you already know...Click HERE for free stuff!!!