Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

*sigh* Galaxy saved... again...

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
*sigh* Galaxy saved... again...

Yaevinn
12.27.2011 , 09:40 AM | #11
I don't mind playing important figure, frankly I can't imagine myself playing some character with lower stature than Sith Warrior, atm. Can't say how it is on Republic, but I haven't heard or seen too much praising on Empire side. Not in a way that it would annoy me.
''Peace through power!''

NephilimNexus
12.27.2011 , 09:46 AM | #12
I remember back in the old pen & paper Star Wars RP game (West End Games) they said right there in the book (not verbatim) that though your actions may well affect the lives of millions, maybe even several worlds, the galaxy still encompasses thousands upon thousands of planets & trillions of beings. In other words, the 'Big Picture' is still bigger than you, no matter how big you may get.

And that was the point and appeal of the game. The movie canon stuff was still happening, the big players (Luke, Vader, et al) were still shaping the galaxy as a whole, but you (the players) still affected the stuff that happened in the background. Yes, you could very well save a planet... planet in question being some forgotten backwater world in the middle of nowhere. But you had fun doing it anyway because the game was about adventure, not ego gratification.

Sadly, that's a concept that's been lost over the years with game designers, and especially with the MMORPG realm - though in the latter case, players themselves are often to blame. At the dawn of gaming, the games were designed to give some sense of excitement & adventure to young-to-middle aged types with boring, tedious jobs & classes.

These days, though, it's all about the "leet" kids who were told from birth that their precious snowflakes and all destined to be president, and thus this new generation all want their games to fill the gap in that desire of self-importance that reality will never, ever deliver.

Enako
12.27.2011 , 09:48 AM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by Yaevinn View Post
I don't mind playing important figure, frankly I can't imagine myself playing some character with lower stature than Sith Warrior, atm. Can't say how it is on Republic, but I haven't heard or seen too much praising on Empire side. Not in a way that it would annoy me.
it is absolutely in the opposite direction, but, on the same level on the sith side :

a group of totally self-centered, bloodthirsty, manipulating, hierarchical people, but, for some reason the existence in between sith/empire and its factions/prominent figures is way beyond harmonious. bar a few side quest stories or dialogue options, the sith side seems as if they are not sith/evil, but as if holy roman empire or any random aristocratic empire of earth's own history.