Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

can't you code in a multiplier for pvp/e balance?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
can't you code in a multiplier for pvp/e balance?

DarthRaistlin
03.04.2015 , 12:17 PM | #1
example. ability A x 1.0 = x damage.

then when a class is considered op

ability A x. 095 = x damage (.005% less)

this way you could balance behind scenes and for pvp as well as pve. just use the multipliers in one or the other instance.

should be a simple fix. I think other games have done this before too where pvp dmg was like 10% of pve dmg.

I can elaborate more if needed.

Arlon_Nabarlly
03.04.2015 , 12:55 PM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthRaistlin View Post
http://cdn.meme.am/instances/500x/59864506.jpg

MillionsKNives
03.04.2015 , 12:57 PM | #3
Such a thing is certainly possible, but there are downsides which is likely why they don't. Even slight changes to an ability's damage or behavior can have drastic effects on how a class is played. Also, say that they made some changes for PVP and left PVE alone, then on their next round of balance changes they go back and take a look at the class again. This time they want to change a little bit more. Do they change both PVP and PVE, or just one? What happens if they make a PVE change, would it cause issues with the PVP side too, do they clash? How about the next time they balance? Slowly you end up having two divergent specs that started the same but now play completely differently. Balance isn't always about slightly buffing damage here, or nerfing damage there.

I'm not saying what you're suggesting is impossible or a bad idea, but I can understand why they wouldn't want to go down that road.

DOHboy
03.04.2015 , 01:04 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthRaistlin View Post
example. ability A x 1.0 = x damage.

then when a class is considered op

ability A x. 095 = x damage (.005% less)

this way you could balance behind scenes and for pvp as well as pve. just use the multipliers in one or the other instance.

should be a simple fix. I think other games have done this before too where pvp dmg was like 10% of pve dmg.

well let me point out the MANY MANY ways you just nerf'd said class into oblivion.

1) 0.005 = .5% not .005% which is actually 0.00005
2) 1.0 - .005 = .995!! 0.095 = 1-0.905 which means you just gave your class about a 90% nerf (90.5%) Pretty sure your entire player class just up and quit.

do us a favor...stop!