Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

I know this has probably been asked before but..

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > New Player Help
I know this has probably been asked before but..

Athilias
12.27.2011 , 02:39 AM | #1
What in the world does Shield rating and Absorption rating do? All I can guess is Shield rating increase the chance for shield to activate (if so, follow up question, does it in it by %age, ergo if you have a 20% chance for it to activate, and had 20 shield rating, it would now be 25% chance for it to activate, OR does it increase it by direct percentage, ergo 20% chance to activate with 20 shield rating, now 40% to activate). Absorption is probably increasing how much the shield can absorb, no?

Shammus
12.27.2011 , 02:46 AM | #2
shield rating = chance to shield
absorption rating = how much is shielded.

both increase with increased stats, though I'm not sure exactly how much you'll just have to equip the item and try to get a number.
Sith Weapons And Tactics
Guildmaster | Giradda the Hutt
You have been knocked unconscious! Pain and suffering tries to strike YOU, but misses! You died. Returning to home point, please wait...LOADING, PLEASE WAIT

Ardwan
12.27.2011 , 02:59 AM | #3
You get a bit more detail on it by pressing C and hovering over your defense stats (may need to select Defense from the drop down menu.) When hovering over Shield Chance etc it will show how much additional bonus stats add to it.

As far as I understand it, your defense works as follows:
My newbie Trooper has:
Damage Reduction 16%
Defense Chance 5%
Shield Chance 5%
Absorption 20%

1) Defense Chance triggers first, 5% chance that I will dodge the attack.
2) Shield Chance triggers next if 1) unsuccessful. 5% chance that my shield will activate.
If 2) Successful then 20% of the damage is absorbed.
Finally, Damage Reduction reduces the damage dealt by a further 16%.

From what I've seen of higher level heavy armour, it seems the choice is usually between increasing your defense chance or increasing your shield chance and shield absorb.
I would assume that tanks like the Shadow would focus on defense and avoiding the attacks completely, while Vanguards with their heavy armour just accept that their gonna be hit and bulk up their shields as much as possible.