Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

So when do we get the Appearance Tab?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Crew Skills
So when do we get the Appearance Tab?

ColonelKer-Nal's Avatar


ColonelKer-Nal
12.26.2011 , 12:03 AM | #41
Quote: Originally Posted by Corros View Post
IMO the best option is...

1st Add every appearence (if they aren't already) to the orange gear list.
2nd Remove set bonuses from directly being on gear to a new gear slot/ new mod slot. (Something similar to the system Rift uses would work.)

With this you still get full customization, minimal overhauling of current systems, and orange gear is still an option albeit far more time/credit consuming. Overall I feel your apearence is a major part of an MMO and if you want to look great it should be a result of efforts. Not hey that ally rat had this cool chest piece in his loot table. (I think all greys should be modable but thats a whole other issue)
They should all be craftable. That's the big caveat for me. Let your Armstech/Armormech/Synthweaver/Artificer ultimately craft every piece of gear in the game (for their own profession) as an Orange.

Quote: Originally Posted by Fiontar View Post
It could become a function of crafters, with some additional materials, to convert non-modifiable items into mod clean, slotted and modifiable versions. It could also be done as a cash sink, where you have to bring the item to an NPC and pay a fee for the service, based on the level of the item. Or, they could combine both options.

You would basically be stripping the stats away to make an item into a "skin", to which appropriate mods could be added, just like with current Orange gear. Since you don't obtain any mods in the process, there is no subversion of the system of mod expense and availability in the game.
I detailed a system before the board wipe where a crafter picks up an appropriate Grey item and RE's it to learn the Green version. Then RE's the Green multiple to learn 3-5 Blue recipes, then RE's each of them to learn the Blue with one slot (2 on a crit), RE again to learn the Purple version, RE that to learn the Purple version with 2 slots (3 on a crit) and RE that to learn the Orange version.

This becomes a time/credit/material sink, AND gives us full control over our appearance and gear stats.

What's not to like?

Edit: Added Artificer, forgot they make complete lightsabers in later levels
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.
~Robert A. Heinlein

KingSnake's Avatar


KingSnake
12.26.2011 , 12:56 AM | #42
Quote: Originally Posted by Ohoni View Post
I get that some people are fine with the way the system currently works, and that's ok. If they implement a superior appearance system then you can continue to do things exactly as you can now, nobody's talking about removing anything, just adding on top of whatever's there.

This is just for people that aren't satisfied with the current system, those that have had to put away appearances that they liked in favor of ones with better stats that they haven't liked as much, and do not feel that they should be put at a mechanical disadvantage behind players that do not care about their appearance.
I hear this argument all the time.

"We want an easier system(whatever system it is)"
"We like the system as is, it rewards hard work"
"With this fix it we can have it both ways".

But that isn't true, let me clearify what they REALLY mean.

"You can still work hard if you want, WE just don't want too...."

You CAN have the look you want, eventaully, if you work for it. To alter the system would undermind the work others have put into it. And it also diminish a rewarding aspect of the game. You work hard, get your gear you want, mod it out, and tad! A since of accomplishment! I like it as is.

Calribeiro's Avatar


Calribeiro
12.26.2011 , 04:28 AM | #43
Quote: Originally Posted by KingSnake View Post
I hear this argument all the time.

"We want an easier system(whatever system it is)"
"We like the system as is, it rewards hard work"
"With this fix it we can have it both ways".

But that isn't true, let me clearify what they REALLY mean.

"You can still work hard if you want, WE just don't want too...."

You CAN have the look you want, eventaully, if you work for it. To alter the system would undermind the work others have put into it. And it also diminish a rewarding aspect of the game. You work hard, get your gear you want, mod it out, and tad! A since of accomplishment! I like it as is.
I really dislike the orange system, and it causes the game to feel less rewarding. Now, everytime a non orange gear drops it feels meaninless because I'm just gonna vendor it no matter how good or bad their stats are. All that matters are orange items, and they are few and far between, and most are not my taste, what just makes this all feel even worse.

This is happening in the game right now, most game rewards just feel boring, really, they just killed an important aspect of the game for me, and most loot just go vendor trash, even when I got them in instances/groups. It's really sad, but it's their game, not my game, for good or for bad. All I can do is to express my dislike and hope for the best.

Another thing, most newbies don't get how the orange system works. My friends constantly ask me questions about it and I have to explain again and again. A lot of people have vendored an orange gear they liked when a better stats green gear dropped because they didn't understand how the system works. It's unintuitive.

pSyToR's Avatar


pSyToR
12.26.2011 , 04:36 AM | #44
Quote: Originally Posted by Calribeiro View Post
I really dislike the orange system, and it causes the game to feel less rewarding. Now, everytime a non orange gear drops it feels meaninless because I'm just gonna vendor it no matter how good or bad their stats are. All that matters are orange items, and they are few and far between, and most are not my taste, what just makes this all feel even worse.

This is happening in the game right now, most game rewards just feel boring, really, they just killed an important aspect of the game for me, and most loot just go vendor trash, even when I got them in instances/groups. It's really sad, but it's their game, not my game, for good or for bad. All I can do is to express my dislike and hope for the best.

Another thing, most newbies don't get how the orange system works. My friends constantly ask me questions about it and I have to explain again and again. A lot of people have vendored an orange gear they liked when a better stats green gear dropped because they didn't understand how the system works. It's unintuitive.
I'm not sure why you would vendor instantly your new loots you get ? For the time being it might be better than your orange, but if you REALLY REALLY like that orange set you have... Well you will need to find mods that will actually make it as good as the "insert any other loot" you just got... That's the whole point of the Orange Items... Work so you can make it as good... If you're vendoring instantly ? I hope you're modding your Orange... Cause you might find it harder and harder to play that game...

As for the "newbies"... Well they are call newbies for something... Not only the diminish them... But to also mean that they are NEW... and the need to UNDERSTAND... You were a "n00b" at some point too... You understand games mechanic now... Congrats.. .Now share your knowldge...
■████████████████████]}][Ξ])])])))|((([([([Ξ][{[████████████████████■

ColonelKer-Nal's Avatar


ColonelKer-Nal
12.26.2011 , 04:50 AM | #45
Quote: Originally Posted by KingSnake View Post
I hear this argument all the time.

"We want an easier system(whatever system it is)"
"We like the system as is, it rewards hard work"
"With this fix it we can have it both ways".

But that isn't true, let me clearify what they REALLY mean.

"You can still work hard if you want, WE just don't want too...."

You CAN have the look you want, eventaully, if you work for it. To alter the system would undermind the work others have put into it. And it also diminish a rewarding aspect of the game. You work hard, get your gear you want, mod it out, and tad! A since of accomplishment! I like it as is.
I just want to clarify my own position here. I'm OK with the current system IF and only if every piece of gear has a fully modable (aka Orange) version and said modable version is craftable. This gear also needs to be available at an early level, 10-15, and not just reserved for the End Game.

IOW as long as the current system is as flexible as a full blown Appearance Tab I'm good with it. If it's not, well the devs need to address that. Between the lame-*** character creation (5 hairstyles that don't look like emo, punk, or gang nonsense out of 30? Really? No real blonde color? Really? No redhead color? No shading on hair? And that's only ONE facet of this sucktastic, 7 year old character creator), and the overblown ego of the art department that is going to get their feelings hurt if I don't display their clown suits... Well I'm PAYING to play this game, and I'm not going to get attached to my character if I don't like the way they look.

Maybe this garbage is ok for the WoW kiddies who don't know any better, but I've been playing a different MMO for the past 7 years and expect TOR to reflect its 2011 creation date. Particularly given their repeated boasts that this will have all the features of a triple A title. So far, that's a very empty boast.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.
~Robert A. Heinlein

Calribeiro's Avatar


Calribeiro
12.26.2011 , 04:52 AM | #46
Quote: Originally Posted by pSyToR View Post
I'm not sure why you would vendor instantly your new loots you get ? For the time being it might be better than your orange, but if you REALLY REALLY like that orange set you have... Well you will need to find mods that will actually make it as good as the "insert any other loot" you just got... That's the whole point of the Orange Items... Work so you can make it as good... If you're vendoring instantly ? I hope you're modding your Orange... Cause you might find it harder and harder to play that game...

As for the "newbies"... Well they are call newbies for something... Not only the diminish them... But to also mean that they are NEW... and the need to UNDERSTAND... You were a "n00b" at some point too... You understand games mechanic now... Congrats.. .Now share your knowldge...
Well, most people are level 20ish right now, and it's really just too low to experience what I explained. I'm wearing some of the same items I got at the second planet now at lvl 40ish not because I like their look, but because there was no real valid options for me.

One important aspect of games for me is the loot feeling rewarding, and with the current orange system it just fails to feel so. Most gear drop is just vendor trash because I dislike their look, and their stats doesn't matter.

My argument is that if appearance and stat customization were two different things not tied together, like it is in the current orange system, sometimes I'd get ugly gear for their stats, and sometimes I'd get bad gear for their looks, increasing the chances the loot having any rewarding feeling. In the current system is just: Oh, I dislike the looks, vendor trash no matter the stats...

Mckor's Avatar


Mckor
12.26.2011 , 09:37 AM | #47
Quote: Originally Posted by Calribeiro View Post
One important aspect of games for me is the loot feeling rewarding, and with the current orange system it just fails to feel so. Most gear drop is just vendor trash because I dislike their look, and their stats doesn't matter.

My argument is that if appearance and stat customization were two different things not tied together, like it is in the current orange system, sometimes I'd get ugly gear for their stats, and sometimes I'd get bad gear for their looks, increasing the chances the loot having any rewarding feeling. In the current system is just: Oh, I dislike the looks, vendor trash no matter the stats...
Agree with both of those.

If we could continue to RE purple items into orange, moddable items I'd agree that an appearance tab is unnecessary. It would be a major time and money sink to get to those orange schematics, but I could deal with that. Or I'd buy crafted armor from someone else that has the look I want.

The only way to end this argument is for a) someone to start posting examples of all the orange looks so that we can be sure we can get the look we want; b) the addition of the ability to RE purples to oranges, even if it's difficult; or c) an appearance tab.

This argument will not go away until people can make their characters look the way they want.

ColonelKer-Nal's Avatar


ColonelKer-Nal
12.26.2011 , 10:33 PM | #48
Quote: Originally Posted by Mckor View Post
This argument will not go away until people can make their characters look the way they want.
QFE

And I hope BW recognizes this fact and deals with it promptly. If we wanted to dress like we'd been hit by an explosion at the paint factory we'd play WoW.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.
~Robert A. Heinlein

MaximusRex's Avatar


MaximusRex
12.26.2011 , 11:56 PM | #49
I would suggest people here read these articles:

http://www.swtor.com/blog/some-clari...-modifications

http://www.swtor.com/blog/why-unify-...and-whats-next

I think these answer a lot of concerns and suggestions I have seen in this thread.

KROSSDARK's Avatar


KROSSDARK
12.27.2011 , 01:23 AM | #50
This crap again! When are the appearance tab freaks going to give up making all these garbage threads about the same topic over and over?
CE VIP & First Wave Vip!