Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

The weird people you meet in Group Finder.

Rafkin
01.16.2015 , 04:59 PM | #5761
Last nights group finder was a mess. The short version is that two of the people were really bad but the tank was pretty good. After we called it I asked the tank if he wanted to queue up with me. He said "I'm eleven and I have to go to bed".

The one guy who knew what he was doing was eleven years old.

Sirgoldeye
01.16.2015 , 09:52 PM | #5762
Well this is a run of KDY on pub side in the harbinger (I had great run though's with the imp side who knows what they are doing and I hope pub side is at least the same).

Well I decided to use gf to try to level up to 16 on my guardian, I ended up with me 15 guardian, 16 guardian, 35 sent and 31 shadow. So we did not exchange hellos and I knew that this is going to be bad since I only did my buffs on them. (I always assume that if they do buff they know what their doing)

First stage was the prison one, the level 16 guard wanted to get that 10 prisoner achievement, I went by it with the shadow as well. So the plan was the kill all of the mobs plus the elite before releasing the prisoners and getting that achievement. But it did kinda backfired because of the sent deciding to ignore the instructions. Released the prisoners 1 by one after us 3 cleaned up the mobs. Funny thing is that it worked until the elite, oh she did it before and guess what they DIED. We did kill the elite with me dying because of the missile cheese, guess what. Oh the 16 guardian was pissed full swearing and creating stars in chat to the point that he raged quit. Great 1 man down and the leader passed to the sent who tends to ignore. Doesn't even que up to find another dude. I did ask her to que but ignored me for the first time. So up towards the second stage with 3 users (including myself)

Second stage was the shipbuilding one, okay.... So before we start, the shadow was lagging alot or doing something, so it was us two a bit. I decided to wait for the shadow and while I was waiting I told the sent who was leader to que us in GF to find a another dude. Yep ignore and let's go solo this because we can do it.. Great I had to rush to at least help her.. Lucky that she learnt her lesson and after many demands (got to the point that I had to tell her to give me leader so I can que up again), gave me leader, que up and decided to move while gf does it job. Normal clean up and what you know we got a 4th dude a level 39 sent. So before we got the parts the 35 sent decided to try and unlock the thing and did it many times which got us annoyed. No chat flaming just sat there. So we went and cleaned everything up including elite, got all the parts.I did ask chat if anyone knows how to build a ship (I was planning to do it since I know it if no one knew it), only the shadow reply to my message and what you know the sent decided to do LET'S BUILD MY OWN SHIP (yea no need for her to read the clues), and decided to run off assuming that she got it right, but backfired on her and I was like REALLY! ( that was because I thought we forgot one of the parts and I was searching). So we had to kill the first 2 bots in the middle then backtrack towards the 2 bots near the ship build terminal then go forwards to the bots near the elevator (great time...) But we did pull it off thanks to everyone knowing how to kill a bot. Boss time

So the boss was the Sith (yea I hate this, even worst that i'm melee and everyone else is so the circles are going to be a huge problem), we went off and it was VERY SLOW with me and the 39 sent racking up deaths many times while the shadow got 1 death while the Stupid one got none. We were pretty lucky that the sith did not reset and we managed to pull it down. Everyone said thank you except the 35 sent who still was a noob and we all went our own ways.

In the end, pub side tend to have more inexperience people in both gf and Pvp on the harbinger. Meh.

Mithros
01.17.2015 , 03:58 AM | #5763
Quote: Originally Posted by BobFredJohn View Post

At the very start the tank says this is his first time and asks us to explain the fight. I reply with a "will do" the gunslinger writes "sure" and the sage responds to this request with a vote kick on the tank, reason: noob. I suddenly gain a huge stack of respect for the gunslinger who explains with colourful language which leaves very little room for interpretation what his opinion of the sage is (he doesn't like him). The sage doesn't reply and we set off.
While I may not have initiated the act, if someone had put the sage up for kick with the reason "Jerk" (or something perhaps a bit more colorful), I would have found it an absolute joy to vote to confirm.

I hate that attitude. These idiots would rather wait an hour for a que to pop than spend a couple of minutes explaining some encounter mechanics to less experienced players and ultimately create more players willing and able to join these missions and do the jobs that they joined to do.
Heck, not even explaining the mechanics, just shutting up and waiting for a moment while someone else explains them.
Free stuff (for you and me)! My referral link.

Beta Squadron 157. The pixel lives on in our hearts.

BobFredJohn
01.17.2015 , 08:07 AM | #5764
Quote: Originally Posted by Mithros View Post
While I may not have initiated the act, if someone had put the sage up for kick with the reason "Jerk" (or something perhaps a bit more colorful), I would have found it an absolute joy to vote to confirm.
The reason I didn't vote kick him is because he deserves a lockout. I was hoping as the tank was new they may be rather bad at tanking, cause the sage to rage quit and get the lock out he deserves. Sadly the tank knew how to control aggro.

HM mando. I am on my jugg tank, the group is mara dps, merc dps and sorc healer. All is good (except my aggro holding) which I aoplogise for, 1 dps and the healer both say they hadn't noticed, the other dps says he doesn't mind (I know I cant jugg tank properly and I will drop afew enemies, so I make sure the ones I lose aggro on are standards/weaks).

the group seemed happy with my passable tanking, and the healer commented it was nice to have a "fast moving tank who actually looks at the groups hp/resource before pulling". After digging it seems he had been on afew previous runs with go-go-go tanks or ones that stop and "wait on CD" at every pull.

However everything turned on its head so quick that I had no idea what was happening. It was at the boarding party boss, both dps and the healer stand in the los spot and the mara tells me to stand with them. While I am typing my reply he says it again. I reply pointing out "I don't bother with the los on this 1, I can keep them bunched easily enough without los". Now all 3 of them tell me to stand where they are. I don't pay any attention, quickly list the kill order and leap in.

I start my aoe rotation, getting aggro on the smuggler, trooper and consular while the knight does his usually BS, so I taunt him back to me, once that wears off I aoe taunt to keep the knight on me and he dies before that wears off due to good dps. I manage to keep aggro on the other 3 for the rest of the fight, they remain bunched up as the only enemy that uses melee is the sage so he is the only 1 that moves with me and I stand between the scoundrel and trooper, keeping the sage close to them.

After the pull the mara has a go at me for not losing. I point out that the enemies remained bunched the entire fight, therefore los was pointless. The healer drops group without a word, the merc dps says he cba "carrying this dumb tank" and quits. I write "screw this" and drop group too.

I mean really? Yeah my jugg tanking is not perfect, I lose aggro once or twice but it never caused issues and the group even said they like the pace. Then I decide not to los on a fight that really doesn't need it and suddenly I am rubbish?

and on a side note, I want to rant about a practice that is becoming more and more common on ToFN.

Extricate should not be used on the tank (exceptions for cases such as he has been blasted off a platform and is falling to his death, feel free if you want to). The number of times my jugg or vang (shadow is too low level to be teamed with sages who have it) has lost aggro due to some dumb-*** sorc/sage pulling me and dumping my aggro for no good reason.

And as a matter of principle I will not taunt if somebody extricates me. I don't care if the healer is about to die, I don't care if the dps is kiting like a baby because the big scary boss is on his ***. That is the entire reason why you do not aggro dump a tank.
Teach me not what to think, but how to think

Everybody is entitled to their opinion. People are also entitled to ridicule your opinion if it is BS.

iusCogens
01.18.2015 , 02:07 AM | #5765
It's mindboggling that a lot of endgame players don't seem to realize that standing in boss' AOE = bad. Continuous wipes on Bulo in 16m SM Ravagers converted the raid to 8m, and we still wiped. At first I thought me and my co-healer weren't putting enough heals 'cause everyone melted super fast, but upon closer inspection the raid team almost never moved from fire/circles. I guess it's true that you can't heal stupid.

On a lighter note, the earlier Sparky fight. Tanks pulled, and the dropping gate killed half of the raid team. Don't understand how two months into new content people still don't know about this.

annabethchase
01.18.2015 , 03:03 PM | #5766
Had a tank in HM Manaan today refuse to wait on the healer before starting fights. Kept dying and didn't seem to bother him for some reason.
Thinking about subbing? Use this link to help us both out http://www.swtor.com/r/3txb7F

Cox_The_Beast
01.19.2015 , 07:55 AM | #5767
Had an interesting Athiss SM earlier today on my DPS Guardian, Focus Speeced.

We zone in, and the team is me at lvl 25, a DPS Scoundrel at 22, a Sage Healer at 23 and a Vanguard Tank at 19. Ok, no biggie, I think.
I go into the big hole to get ot the bottom, but apparently the Tank has decided to clear the FP of every enemy, because he pulls the droids up above - and dies.

This goes on for the whole path to the first boss, that we kill, though the Tank dies and I tank myself for about 25% of the boss health...
Then we rez the guy and move on.

On the large valley he doesn't rest, relying completely on the Healer, and chainpulls like crazy, often tunnelvisioning. But the Scoundrel is always ready to help me peel off the Healer, so we keep going.

As we arrive at the ramp that takes at the level where the second boss is, the Tank keeps clearing the lower level, even though we call him to move upstairs, and he pulls a couple of mobs at the same time.
Us DPS jump in and try to save him, but alas, he dies. Again. While he returns to us, I explain that clearing every mob is not necessary, not for Exp - the amount of it is not that great anyway - nor for the following boss, that he claims is the main reason he doesn't want to let those mobs live.
I tell him there's a way to avoid them joining hte fight, and he seems willing to listen, so we clear the last mob before the boss and I tell him to tank on the door. Like, on the corner to the R. He does so, and even though I rip aggro like crazy, we manage to down the boss and annihilate the adds without trouble.

Why did I rip aggro, you ask? Simple. First of all, I was 6 lvls above him, with gear pretty much on hte level - about 25, least 23 - and second I was not guarded, because the Healer was apparently in need of it, seeing at how he kept demanding it every time the Tank forgot to put it up...

Still, I open the shortcut with my Archeology and we get to the final boss, where I explain tactics. However, right before the fight, I asked the Tank to Guard me instead of the Healer, which responded with a shocked "Guard on DPS? Really?"
I sighed a little, then proceeded to explain the mechanics of aggro... Or rather, I was ready to, but the Tank pulled.
We engaged, and we managed no problem all in all, though I think it depends mostly on the fact I got the flames debuff two times over the three it appeared... And hte DPS Scoundrel got it the other time.

After the fight, I explained the basics on aggro generation. The Tank was quite surprised to hear that, but told me he was new and on his second run in Athiss, first time ever in a FP as Tank. So yeah, makes sense to be a bit more careful than standard.
The Healer listened to my explanation on aggro and on how if the Healer gets aggro only through healihg it's the DPS' fault, for not peeling off him. The Healer seemed to acknowledge it, and when we parted ways said "I hope I'm not going to need Guard again, I tend to be overwhelmed by enemies quite easily". Which makes me think that's why he asked for Guard the whole FP...

All in all, a good run, with two new players both ready to listen to advice!
Really, I'm glad I'm finding less people acting like pros but playing as bads... Lately I've been mostly soloing stuff, so I'm a bit off when it comes to compensating for others...
"Saviour, conqueror, hero, villain. You were all these things, Revan... and yet you are nothing. In the end you belong to neither the light nor the darkness. You will forever stand alone."
Darth Malak to Revan on the Leviathan.

Irongut
01.19.2015 , 08:55 AM | #5768
I had a fun Battle of Rishi last night... I was on my combat Sentinel, I think we had another Sentinel, a Vanguard tank and maybe a Shadow but my memory is hazy. We progressed through the FP fine with no weirdness till we got to the final boss.

At the first emp stage only myself and the other Sentinel went to the protected area so the other two died. Shortly after the other Sentinel died from standing in aoe. I still had plenty of hp so I decided to see how far I could get soloing the boss. After killing adds or hiding from the emp I used the kolto stations. After 3 sets of adds and I think 4 emp stages I finally beat the boss, solo with no companion or GSI droid. I was quite pleased with myself.

The comment from the tank who died in the first few minutes of the fight... "so this is a solo flashpoint then?"
◄[|||||||█[☼]█[███████████████████████████████████)

Ryuku-sama
01.19.2015 , 09:03 AM | #5769
Quote: Originally Posted by Irongut View Post
I had a fun Battle of Rishi last night... I was on my combat Sentinel, I think we had another Sentinel, a Vanguard tank and maybe a Shadow but my memory is hazy. We progressed through the FP fine with no weirdness till we got to the final boss.

At the first emp stage only myself and the other Sentinel went to the protected area so the other two died. Shortly after the other Sentinel died from standing in aoe. I still had plenty of hp so I decided to see how far I could get soloing the boss. After killing adds or hiding from the emp I used the kolto stations. After 3 sets of adds and I think 4 emp stages I finally beat the boss, solo with no companion or GSI droid. I was quite pleased with myself.

The comment from the tank who died in the first few minutes of the fight... "so this is a solo flashpoint then?"
THe correct answer would have been : "Tactical = solo for good players."
"If it wasn't broken, we shall break it. If it is balanced, we shall beat it until slow and painful death follows. If it is overpowered, it is working as intended." - Bioware 2015

venomlash
01.19.2015 , 12:39 PM | #5770
Had a run of HM Korriban Incursion a few days ago. I was on my Gunnery Commando, and the other three guys were all in a guild together: Sage healer, Vanguard tank, and another Goonery goon. Everyone was fairly well-geared (~45k HP, ~50k for the tank) and followed proper tactics. We 1shotted everything, just the occasional death here or there, maybe one wipe on trash. Tank died on the first boss (got punted into a cage?), so the other Commando and I just ping-ponged aggro on everything for a few seconds until the tank was rezzed; troopers stronk. At the pull just outside the Sith Academy the healer got ganked by a marauder the tank missed, so we Commandos just went ahead and green-beamed the tank through it all (troopers stronk).
If there was one weird one in the group, it was me constantly bringing up the rear due to graphics lag and being bad at climbing stairs. Oh and also I accidentally stood in an exploding droid on the final boss and went from 100% to 25% HP despite my 30% AoE DR from Shock Absorbers.

What was weird about it? We killed the second boss without any complications. Adds were trivial with all the Mortar Volley and Plasma Grenade going out (like I said, troopers stronk), the combination of AoE DR and excellent heals allowed us to DPS pretty much without interruption during the circles phase, and we ended up downing the bot just as he started to cast Extermination Mode.
So again, WHAT was weird about that? Well, we all stood around for a few seconds afterward wondering in chat whether it had been stealth-nerfed in the recent patch or if we were just that good.

Quote: Originally Posted by Cox_The_Beast View Post
All in all, a good run, with two new players both ready to listen to advice!
Two bads in one FP listening to advice and coming around? This story is clearly fake.
Quote: Originally Posted by MichelleArcher View Post
Hey there, all! This thread has passed the dreaded 1,000 post limit, and is now in fire. Thanks for the fun, but we feel this discussion as run its course. We will not be restarting this thread.
Jarrant Gartin, Gunnery Commando, Spark of Hope, Begeren Colony