Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

I want lightning but its sucks in PVP!

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Sage / Sorcerer
I want lightning but its sucks in PVP!

Leoxastarth
12.26.2011 , 02:57 PM | #1
As the title says, I have tried Madness, Hybrid, and Pure Lightning, out of these 3 I found lightning to be the most fun (I love sudden crit spikes, fast finishers and etc.) my problem is however, I do both PVE and PVP, and while in PVE lightning and madness and hybrid all preform well, when it comes to PVP, lightning just falls back so badly, I just cant seem to be able to dish out enough damage to others and its force-sustain means nothing in short PVP fights, so...does anyone, know of any way, or tips, where lightning can work as a good spec for PVP? This is without losing the prowess it has in PVE.

Slashd
12.26.2011 , 03:01 PM | #2
There is no doubt that lightning is weak in PvP due to the long cast times and unreliable spikes in damage (Force Lightning and Chain Lightning procs). Making lightning viable in PvP is a playstyle that requires distance and staying on the fringe of the fight. If you are trying to cast a two second cast there is a large chance you ill be interrupted and thus you want to try to juke an interrupt by fake casting and doing anything you can to be able to get your cast times off. The mobility of lightning is low so you will struggle to chase enemies, it is a consequence of lightning.
Solaris █
Website
Hardcore PvP

Leoxastarth
12.26.2011 , 03:03 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by Slashd View Post
There is no doubt that lightning is weak in PvP due to the long cast times and unreliable spikes in damage (Force Lightning and Chain Lightning procs). Making lightning viable in PvP is a playstyle that requires distance and staying on the fringe of the fight. If you are trying to cast a two second cast there is a large chance you ill be interrupted and thus you want to try to juke an interrupt by fake casting and doing anything you can to be able to get your cast times off. The mobility of lightning is low so you will struggle to chase enemies, it is a consequence of lightning.
Thing is though, when it comes to madness, it does not fall off in PVE, while still excelling at PVP, I was under the impression all tree's where designed like this, so that they could be used for both PVE and PVP at the same time, like Madness can be, I thought perhaps I was missing something

Slashd
12.26.2011 , 03:07 PM | #4
In theory, lightning is viable in PvP due to the high damage output. Snipers have the same situation down the Marksman tree. A loss of mobility can kill a tree for PvP and lightning doesn't have the ability to be active enough in a fight to compete at a high level. For defending points in Alderaan (sp?) it would be supreme, but when it comes to a mobile game as hutball you may as well be sitting back spectating the match.
Solaris █
Website
Hardcore PvP

Leoxastarth
12.26.2011 , 03:20 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Slashd View Post
In theory, lightning is viable in PvP due to the high damage output. Snipers have the same situation down the Marksman tree. A loss of mobility can kill a tree for PvP and lightning doesn't have the ability to be active enough in a fight to compete at a high level. For defending points in Alderaan (sp?) it would be supreme, but when it comes to a mobile game as hutball you may as well be sitting back spectating the match.
Hm I see, but other than the mobility, the damage, is good enough to compete with Madness in a PVP situation?

Slashd
12.26.2011 , 03:28 PM | #6
The flat damage is similar. Although you'll struggle to be able to output to your full potential in a pvp situation where madness a highly mobile dps spec.
Solaris █
Website
Hardcore PvP

Jansports
12.26.2011 , 06:59 PM | #7
For Void Star and Alderan Lightning can be effective as there are specific places the fighting happens around, which lessens the cut in mobility. Huttball on the other hand is never going to be a place where lightning shines. It's unfortunate but that's how it is.

With Lightning specifically if you get a tank on you who can peel particularly well and you are allowed to free cast then you can put out more damage than madness, and perhaps more importantly burstier damage. Madness having a number of DoT effects and focus efficiency sometimes runs into the problem that a good healer can keep pace against your damage, lightning biggest draw in pvp is it's ability to Burst hard. Burst is notoriously harder to heal through than sustained damage.

All in all while I personally play madness or corruption if lightning is what you find fun I don't believe it is so far behind madness that you shouldn't play it.

Trivialed
12.26.2011 , 07:34 PM | #8
I have pvp'd as a 50 sorc in madness and lightning. Lightning is good if you proc a lot, getting those instant cast CL's really helps but the sad part is with madness you can proc instant casts more often. Also Thundering blast does not do enough dmg, even for a guranteed crit it is subpar. So it seems the only real bonus to lightning is the extra CC from shield and oveload. Other than that it is a slight DPS increase. Which Madness makes up for easily.

I did Lightning pve all the way to 50, then after switching to madness I feel like hitting myself in the head. Madness is so much faster in PvE as well, I can literally spam Force lightning and CD on the wrath procs and outdps a full lightning build. To be honest Lightning needs a revamp and to be created into a burst DPS tree. Right now as it stands it isnt that great.