Goals for Addressing Server Concerns

EricMusco

• Dev Post

Hey folks,

At our fan event in Las Vegas, one of the things we stated is that we are working to address the concerns of things like queue times and uneven server populations and that we would provide an update before the end of the year. As you might expect we're not ready to tell you exactly what we are working on yet, but we did want to go into what our goals are for next year.

• To address issues of queue times across all types of content, both PvP and PvE.
  • To rethink how we approach “server separation.”
  • Remain sensitive to things like character identity.
  • The continued ability to define your chosen server playstyle, PvE, PvP, RP, RP-PvP.
  • We also would love to use this opportunity to enhance/create social systems. It’s a big ole’ galaxy and we want it to feel that way.

In the coming months we will be releasing more details. We appreciate your patience as we work towards these goals.

-eric

• Replies 496
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey folks,

At our fan event in Las Vegas, one of the things we stated is that we are working to address the concerns of things like queue times and uneven server populations and that we would provide an update before the end of the year. As you might expect we're not ready to tell you exactly what we are working on yet, but we did want to go into what our goals are for next year.

• To address issues of queue times across all types of content, both PvP and PvE.
  • To rethink how we approach “server separation.”
  • Remain sensitive to things like character identity.
  • The continued ability to define your chosen server playstyle, PvE, PvP, RP, RP-PvP.
  • We also would love to use this opportunity to enhance/create social systems. It’s a big ole’ galaxy and we want it to feel that way.

In the coming months we will be releasing more details. We appreciate your patience as we work towards these goals.

-eric

wait what does this mean? Server merger!? mega server!?!

Edited by Sangrar

To rethink how we approach “server separation.”

Hm, I miss the following bullet point in your list:

"The continued seperation by language into German, English and French."

I really hope that there'll still be a server separation by language with these changes... :( While (unlike some other players on my server) I have no problem understanding/writing/speaking English, when playing SWTOR, I want to play and chat with German players in German.

While my server is pretty populated, I know players on other servers have problems finding groups, so it is good you are doing something about it. Gonna wait for more details on cross-servers / server-merges before I can judge it.

Edited by Jerba

• Dev Post
So...

This an update to update on the fact we'll receive yet another update, sometime next year? Or there will be an update following this update, before the final update which will be the big reveal? :p

Updateception indeed! I know it isn't quite the full spill of details yet but at least this way we can kind of let everyone know where our heads are at :rak_03:

-eric

I wanna ask about the character identity. Would this possibly include another name purge at all?

I guess that the 'remain sensitive' part means that exactly this will not happen. Even though I wouldn't mind a purge, so I might get some names back I used to have on the server I originally started on, but I don't want to lose names I currently have.

To me it sounds like mega servers with instances limited to each play type.. maybe? So all the west coast servers would be one server, but they might show up as 3 still. But they would all technically be on the same server so they would share warzone queues, GTN, group finder queues ect... But the instances in the open world you would go to would be limited by play type, I.E Instance 1 (PvP), Instance 2 (PvE), Instance 3 (RP-PvE) ect.. and you wouldn't be able to change types without paying for a server transfer. Edited by MorgenBlue

[*]We also would love to use this opportunity to enhance/create social systems. It’s a big ole’ galaxy and we want it to feel that way.

Any chance this could mean cross faction communication? Especially with the events in recent story content, with both factions openly communicating, it just seems such a needless restriction to be unable to talk to friends when they swap to opposite faction alts, or to not be able to even use custom /emote for cross faction RP. :)

Edited by Beltane

Certainly does sound like megaserver...

Would make sense, I guess... relatively low number of players compared to how it was at launch, but the playerbase seems stable.

And having one megaserver would be cost-effective I think.

But yeah, this certianly does sound like a server merger into a megaserver with shards separating RP, PvP and PvE populations.

Any chance this could mean cross faction communication? Especially with the events in recent story content, with both factions openly communicating, it just seems such a needless restriction to be unable to talk to friends when they swap to opposite faction alts, or to not be able to even use custom /emote for cross faction RP. :)

And cross-faction team comps for PvP! It's silly when I can get on my Guardian, and knock out the dailies in 3 consecutive wins, then immediately get on my Juggernaut, and take 6 consecutive losses.

I guess that the 'remain sensitive' part means that exactly this will not happen. Even though I wouldn't mind a purge, so I might get some names back I used to have on the server I originally started on, but I don't want to lose names I currently have.

No I meant like for people not subbed who haven't been playing at all.

I don't think I have seen a post so useless in a long time. I'm sorry if I sound harsh, but really, after months of anticipation it is laughable how you are force-backpedalling SO HARD from previous statements. This kind of post underestimates our intelligence in a way I can't even describe. Just an OBVIOUS pr attempt to say what people want to hear without doing anything.

"Here, I don't have any idea on what we'll do, so I'll just pretend to give you some information aka a pacifier so you can shut up while we try to think on something, since we have absolutely no plans."

Edited by Capote

No I meant like for people not subbed who haven't been playing at all.

Like I said, I wouldn't mind that. I just added also my concern that BioWare might make mistakes regarding other character naming issues, since I am not sure what they are exacly planing, like if the do regional mega servers, that still could come again with renaming issues because multible players have the same name on different servers currently.

Certainly does sound like megaserver...

Would make sense, I guess... relatively low number of players compared to how it was at launch, but the playerbase seems stable.

If that is what they have in mind (it sounds that way to me too) I don't think that overall player population has as much to do with it as your statement implies. We already know that when they moved from the initial server numbers to the ones we have now that they dramatically increased the populations that the servers would support. I would imagine that something similar would happen once again with the next mergers.

So, just because they're merging servers it doesn't mean that they have few enough players to fit them all in one server where it initially took 3-4 times that to hold them all, it just means that instead of 3-4 smaller servers you have one big server. It's like when a server brings a pitcher of soda for the table instead of 8 individual cups.

To me it sounds like mega servers with instances limited to each play type.. maybe? So all the west coast servers would be one server, but they might show up as 3 still. But they would all technically be on the same server so they would share warzone queues, GTN, group finder queues ect... But the instances in the open world you would go to would be limited by play type, I.E Instance 1 (PvP), Instance 2 (PvE), Instance 3 (RP-PvE) ect.. and you wouldn't be able to change types without paying for a server transfer.

I think it's what DCUO does: if I remember correctly, there is a portal in the main base that allows the player to jump from a PVE world to a PVP one, and viceversa...

I don't think I have seen more useless information on a long time. I'm sorry if I sound harsh, but really, after months of anticipation it is laughable how you are force-backpedalling SO HARD from previous statements. This kind of post underestimates our intelligence in a way I can't even describe. Just an OBVIOUS pr attempt to say what people want to hear without doing anything.

"Here, I don't have any idea on what we'll do, so I'll just pretend to give you some information aka a pacifier so you can shut up while we try to think on something, since we have absolutely no plans."

You are trying too hard. :rolleyes:

It's obvious they're still trying to work on the final details, before they decide to spill the beans with the big reveal. Get over yourself.