Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

SH Decoration interface designer should be FIRED.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Galactic Strongholds
SH Decoration interface designer should be FIRED.

Theeko
10.24.2014 , 10:12 AM | #11
Yeah they did a really good job with the interface just needs some more tweaking for later, but for now its working as intended and it really is a great one tbh alot better than some other mmos

Deewe
10.25.2014 , 07:22 AM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by Theeko View Post
Yeah they did a really good job with the interface just needs some more tweaking for later, but for now its working as intended and it really is a great one tbh alot better than some other mmos
I disagree.

Maybe they did a great job regarding the constraints but the actual system isn't that great.

Here's a few example of why it's wrong, UI wise:
  1. The player has no visual indication in which direction the item is going to be moved or rotated.
  2. By trying to make preemptive choices the system goes wrong 90% of the time
  3. Browsing items isn't convenient, at least there should be buttons to next/back selected items without needing to hit next on a page then select an item.
  4. Can't preview an item size without actually buying and dropping it in a hook
  5. Can't resize the preview window
  6. There's no search function
  7. There's no way to find where you actually dropped a specific item, nor recover it without finding it in the specific house and hook
  8. You can't pickup items that are larger than their hooks without changing the hook layout
  9. Larger items in larger hooks prevents you from picking up/tweaking smaller ones when covering them
  10. You can't select multiple items and apply the same pattern to them
  11. You can't edit the stronghold owner banner
  12. You can't browse the GTN without having the inventory, GTN and decoration windows overlapping.

Now there are many other issues with the Stronghold design but UI wise it's even bit tedious.
-----
[HOW_TO] Mouse look toogle

Velarax
10.26.2014 , 12:41 PM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by Deewe View Post
I disagree.

Maybe they did a great job regarding the constraints but the actual system isn't that great.

1. The player has no visual indication in which direction the item is going to be moved or rotated.
  2. By trying to make preemptive choices the system goes wrong 90% of the time
  3. Browsing items isn't convenient, at least there should be buttons to next/back selected items without needing to hit next on a page then select an item.
  4. Can't preview an item size without actually buying and dropping it in a hook
  5. Can't resize the preview window
  6. There's no search function
  7. There's no way to find where you actually dropped a specific item, nor recover it without finding it in the specific house and hook
  8. You can't pickup items that are larger than their hooks without changing the hook layout
  9. Larger items in larger hooks prevents you from picking up/tweaking smaller ones when covering them
  10. You can't select multiple items and apply the same pattern to them
  11. You can't edit the stronghold owner banner
  12. You can't browse the GTN without having the inventory, GTN and decoration windows overlapping.

Now there are many other issues with the Stronghold design but UI wise it's even bit tedious.
THIS. The preemptive choices and lack of search function (in any SWTOR menus) drive me nuts, in particular, but ALL of your points hit the mark.

MaximusRex
10.26.2014 , 05:03 PM | #14
Great title, awesome way to ensure that everyone at BioWare totally ignores the thread, and the issues you have never get addressed. A+

Deewe
10.27.2014 , 02:04 PM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by MaximusRex View Post
Great title, awesome way to ensure that everyone at BioWare totally ignores the thread, and the issues you have never get addressed. A+
Have to admit the A+ mention made me smile.

+1 for you Sir!
-----

thewatcheruatu
10.27.2014 , 02:10 PM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by Deewe View Post

[...]

That was a really good list, actually, of frustrations with the strongholds UI. I wouldn't probably go so far as to say (as the OP did) that somebody should be fired, but I would like to see them iterate on the interface.

One thing that I will say would make my life a lot better with regards to stronghold decorating would be some sort of search function. I usually know exactly what I want to place and what it's called, so it's frustrating to have to select about three different dropdowns to make my list manageable, and then page through the results to actually place it. And that's assuming I remember whether it's civic, environmental, technological, or whatever, which I messed up all the time when I first started using the system.

This is only going to get worse as BioWare continue to add more decorations.
Project Broken Compass | Hapan Delegation

Theeko
10.27.2014 , 03:10 PM | #17
I still say they should have added more centerpieces, starship hooks, and stuff like that, but if you can't navigate the menu that easily i'm sorry for that but its already to simple imo.

Deewe
10.27.2014 , 03:55 PM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by Theeko View Post
I still say they should have added more centerpieces, starship hooks, and stuff like that, but if you can't navigate the menu that easily i'm sorry for that but its already to simple imo.
Simple =/= efficient, even less convenient.

The mouse is considered as a simple interface, yet one of the least efficient one.
-----

sajlogan
11.28.2014 , 03:39 AM | #19
agreed having to change menu options 5-6 times just to place 2-3 items is ridiculous. just remove the auto guessing we can do it ourselves way better

Silverspar
11.28.2014 , 06:28 PM | #20
The exagerations in this thread are outstanding. I don't have much issue with the interface past a lack of search functions, but then again, people say they have a herd time searching the crafting menu. Really, it's hard to use the sort function?

It's inconvenient at best, but it's not broken. People crying like this and not providing solutions to help improve upon the interface are the problem. Armchair programmers who think assembling their facebook page makes them knowledgeable. Just let me know where you work so I can demand you be fired from your job for not performing to my expectations next time.

I love society today trying to make first world problems sound bigger than they are.