Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Commendations in 3.0

First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Brewski
11.26.2014 , 09:07 AM | #391
Quote: Originally Posted by Icestar View Post
So it will be 3 levels of annoying sounds every time I hand in a quest that gives commendations?

They should let us spend the commendations from the start at level 55 and enjoy the questrewards while leveling.

The "overflow" commendations has been earned one way or the other before the expansion anyways.
Just ship the commendations to an alt after 3.0 goes live (assuming the process outlined in this thread isn't removed in 3.0) and then ship them back when you hit level 60. Given the fact that the process hasn't been blocked, and that the thread has not been deleted or refuted by Bioware, this seems to be an acceptable practice, at least at the moment.

Icestar
11.26.2014 , 10:32 AM | #392
Quote: Originally Posted by Brewski View Post
Just ship the commendations to an alt after 3.0 goes live (assuming the process outlined in this thread isn't removed in 3.0) and then ship them back when you hit level 60. Given the fact that the process hasn't been blocked, and that the thread has not been deleted or refuted by Bioware, this seems to be an acceptable practice, at least at the moment.
I do not want to move commendations around, it should not be the only solution if I want to keep questrewards I have earned and not let them go to waste.

I intend to start the expansion like it is supposed to be done 2 december, time will tell if they allow players to spend their earned commendations or if they intend to block them from spending them.

Brewski
11.26.2014 , 10:41 AM | #393
Quote: Originally Posted by Icestar View Post
I do not want to move commendations around, it should not be the only solution if I want to keep questrewards I have earned and not let them go to waste.

I intend to start the expansion like it is supposed to be done 2 december, time will tell if they allow players to spend their earned commendations or if they intend to block them from spending them.
You have many options for spending or holding your commendations. If you choose not to exercise them, that is really your prerogative. Just don't expect a lot of sympathy.

I mean, I still want a pony, and I still can't get one.

The world is still an unfair place.

Orizuru
11.26.2014 , 10:55 AM | #394
You have many options for spending or holding your commendations. If you choose not to exercise them, that is really your prerogative. Just don't expect a lot of sympathy.

I propose a compromise. I have a pony keg in my basement right now. Untapped. Because someone broke my tap and didn't tell me.

So if you can bring a tap, I'll share my pony keg. I even have a couple of saw horses we can stack it on if you want to pretend like you're riding a real pony. After a few glasses you won't be able to tell the difference.

Brewski
11.26.2014 , 11:05 AM | #395
Quote: Originally Posted by Orizuru View Post
I propose a compromise. I have a pony keg in my basement right now. Untapped. Because someone broke my tap and didn't tell me.

So if you can bring a tap, I'll share my pony keg. I even have a couple of saw horses we can stack it on if you want to pretend like you're riding a real pony. After a few glasses you won't be able to tell the difference.
That must be some pretty strong brew. Count me in.

caronome
11.26.2014 , 01:07 PM | #396
Quote: Originally Posted by gsummers View Post
Okay,

Now suppose the player is getting close to level 50. He sees that Makeb level mods can get him 140 gear. So he saves up his basic comms, and at level 50 jumps into 140 rating gear. This is where it gets vague for me. Between 50 and 55, he will do tactical and HM flashpoints, dailies, etc. all earning basic comms. Supposedly, these basic comms will be able to purchase 146 gear, 162 gear, 168 gear, 180 gear and 186 gear. So will every leveling player essentially jump straight from 140 gear to 180 gear (i.e. save all comms earned during those levels and then buy all 180 gear at 55)? Will it work like PvP, where you have to buy the 162 gear, then spend that gear plus comms to buy the 168 gear, and so on? Or maybe the 162 gear will only cost a few comms, while 180 gear will cost a lot of comms? Or perhaps you can buy 146 gear at level 51, 162 gear at level 52, 168 gear at level 53, etc. I suppose any of these is viable with its own pros and cons.
A further complication is that, currently at least, you don't need gear from 47-55. I.e. as soon as you turn 47 you can go to Makeb and get your gear bolstered to 156 while on Makeb. Being cheap, I would be very wary of spending between level 45 and 3.0 starter gear.

There is the best level 60 gear you can buy in 3.0 with basics. Anything below that is you "buying time" deciding that the cost of the gear is worth it in terms of helping you level faster/easier. Which varies by person as to skill, class, role, leveling method and wealth.

E.g., clearly the most efficient use of basic comms is to start with 2000 and level from 55 to 60 via GSF and arrive at 60 having spent nothing on gear and buy a full set of 1?? level 60 gear. That will not the best solution for most.

Icestar
11.26.2014 , 01:41 PM | #397

What?

I am talking about spending commendations, I WANT to spend my commendations on 186 gear as soon as the expansion is live. What I am against is have no option to spend them and let all questcommendations go to waste.

All they have to do is not have a level restriction to buy 186 gear when the expansion is live and I am happy. They can ofcourse keep the restriction to equip the gear.

Heezdedjim
11.26.2014 , 01:46 PM | #398
Quote: Originally Posted by caronome View Post
A further complication is that, currently at least, you don't need gear from 47-55. I.e. as soon as you turn 47 you can go to Makeb and get your gear bolstered to 156 while on Makeb. Being cheap, I would be very wary of spending between level 45 and 3.0 starter gear.

There is the best level 60 gear you can buy in 3.0 with basics. Anything below that is you "buying time" deciding that the cost of the gear is worth it in terms of helping you level faster/easier. Which varies by person as to skill, class, role, leveling method and wealth.

E.g., clearly the most efficient use of basic comms is to start with 2000 and level from 55 to 60 via GSF and arrive at 60 having spent nothing on gear and buy a full set of 1?? level 60 gear. That will not the best solution for most.
Keep in mind that once 12x is over we're back to "normal" leveling, where you get abundant green trash drops appropriate for your class and level as you go. That works the same on Makeb as anywhere else (with the bonus that you also get the bolster). And we can expect it to work the same with the new leveling planets and ordinary leveling quests and class mission as well.

They specifically stated in fact that they intend for players not to need to make side trips or take time out to grind gear in order to go right into the new leveling zones. You also won't need to grind gear before you can walk straight into the (story mode) new operations at level 60.

There never has been a need for blue or purple gear while leveling from 1 to 50, or 50 to 55, and we can expect that there won't be from 55 to 60. Moving on from Makeb to Yavin IV will be no different than moving on from Voss to Corellia, or Corellia to Makeb. Whatever you have when you finish the last planet will do just fine to get you started on the next one.

Unless you have a burning desire to loiter and grind out higher quality gear while you're leveling, there won't be any real good reason to spend Basic comms on anything until you hit 60, where you can spend them on the most powerful gear that they can buy.

Maybe once you're all geared up you will want to pass Basic comms down to leveling alts, like people do today, but unless you're running into the 1,000 comm cap, you're better off after 3.0 saving them all up until the end.

EricMusco
11.26.2014 , 01:57 PM | #399 This is the last staff post in this thread.  
Quote: Originally Posted by BenKatarn View Post
I've been meaning to ask, what does this mean for all the equipment that is currently available for those currencies? Will they become available with Basic commendations?
The following items will still be available from drops, vendors, and token exchange vendors:
  • Arkanian
  • Black Market
  • Underworld
  • Kell Dragon
  • Dread Forged
  • Dread Master
The following are no longer available on vendors, but can still be found as drops:
  • Verpine
  • Oriconian
The following were only available as drops, and will still be available only as drops:
  • Shadowed
  • Dread Touched
Also as a reminder, all current PvP sets will be removed from the game and replaced with the new level 60 sets. You can still find their equivalent appearance in their PvE form though.

Thanks everyone!

-eric
Eric Musco | Community Manager
Follow us on Twitter @SWTOR | Like us on Facebook
[Contact Us] [Rules of Conduct] [F.A.Q.]

DarthDymond
11.26.2014 , 02:03 PM | #400
Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post
The following items will still be available from drops, vendors, and token exchange vendors:
  • Arkanian
  • Black Market
  • Underworld
  • Kell Dragon
  • Dread Forged
  • Dread Master
The following are no longer available on vendors, but can still be found as drops:
  • Verpine
  • Oriconian
The following were only available as drops, and will still be available only as drops:
  • Shadowed
  • Dread Touched
Also as a reminder, all current PvP sets will be removed from the game and replaced with the new level 60 sets. You can still find their equivalent appearance in their PvE form though.

Thanks everyone!

-eric
Thanks for the update/clarification!
One can only match, move by move, the machinations of fate, and thus defy the tyrannous stars. ~Kain

Refer A Friend Link: http://www.swtor.com/r/2gNj3d to get the free stuff detailed here