Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Some changes I feel may help make starfighter more fun for everyone.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Galactic Starfighter
Some changes I feel may help make starfighter more fun for everyone.

Wasbeer
10.19.2014 , 02:25 PM | #41
Quote: Originally Posted by Arkerus View Post
Have to laugh a little bit...

They added massive REQ point gains in 3.0.

ha. Isn't this what many of us were suggesting? That and enough points to pick/upgrade a ship?

So...Bioware also recognized it as a significant issue. Are we still going to see all the excuses come out that this is a bad idea?
Yes they are doing it and that announcement came after this thread if you pay attention. If that's what they're doing that's what they're doing but it wont stop complaints forever. I'll remind you that they gave away free pvp gear at level 50 and that went away. Granted PVP gear actually makes a difference in warzones. I still standby that the default ships aren't really so terrible and that I've done fine without the upgrades with each new character I drag in. Why, because I have experience. When I first jumped into GSF it took a few matches before I got the hang of it, up until then I died a lot with little to show for it but now I tend to hang at the top of the chart with 30-40k damage dealt using either fighter or scout and enough kills to show that I'm not just taking pot shots and that I stick it out in the heat of a fight and don't bolt for it. Giving out gear will not remove the need for practice and skill, it's just a temporary crutch which could end up doing what tactical FPs do, someone runs a TFPs till 55 then jumps into a real flashpoint completely unprepared and ignorant of what they need to do.

Verain
10.19.2014 , 05:08 PM | #42
Quote: Originally Posted by Arkerus View Post
That's not the intention of turrets. Turrets were placed there to make sure satellites couldn't be captured with ZERO recourse.
How do you know? My point was that the sats sit there literally spawning turrets, hence the assumption that they are meant to be little fortresses is a pretty sound one. I mean, if you don't want it to be a fortress, you don't make it impregnable, rewrite how AOEs work just so you can't blow people out of it, cover it with powerful LOS items, and then make it spawn its own tiny defending ships. Every single thing about a satellite makes it a tiny fortress.

Quote:
Satellites need to slightly bigger capture range to make sure that an attacking team has a fair change to take it.
I actually think that would make it easier to defend, interestingly enough. When I'm solo defending a node, the worst thing is an enemy pulling back to midrange. He can still attack me, but if I want to attack him I have to leave cap range. I don't think that this would be a bad change, but I don't think it would really do what you think.

Quote:
The game, IMO, should shift the sattelite to the team with more atttackers.
I disagree pretty strongly. If these were "democracy towers" like in many games, the game would shift to who could weight the area in their favor the most, even for a little bit. This would just add up to some massive scout buff.

Quote:
It shouldn't hold it just because 1 or 2 bombers are waiting for their friends to arrive.
Because bombers should obviously not be able to do anything at all, right? I mean, they should be brave and face those scouts in open space.

Nah, it's a mediocre idea. I wouldn't be opposed to there being a way to decap it if you really super outnumber them, but not like "we brought four fast ships that don't know how to shoot straight, and they brought two slow ships whose only job is to defend a node, so we ran circles around them with no effort until they were guarding a red node lolololol". That's awful.
"The most despicable person on the GSF forum."

t-darko
10.21.2014 , 03:52 PM | #43
There's only 1 game feature that needs to get fixed; No insta kills, that's the only thing driving away any newcomer - any game feature that when your unlucky doesn't allow you to leave the spawn point OR get half way to an objective gonna scare away anyone remotely interested in GSF . . .

I've been on it since pre launch and every time we face a beginners team this game feature die a bit, cos I never see those players again . . .

LilSaihah
10.21.2014 , 05:39 PM | #44
Quote: Originally Posted by t-darko View Post
There's only 1 game feature that needs to get fixed; No insta kills, that's the only thing driving away any newcomer - any game feature that when your unlucky doesn't allow you to leave the spawn point OR get half way to an objective gonna scare away anyone remotely interested in GSF . . .

I've been on it since pre launch and every time we face a beginners team this game feature die a bit, cos I never see those players again . . .
I don't think those 1h kills are really a result of luck. It might seem like it, but they're not. The usual 1hkos (or what feel like 1hkos) are the BLC battlescout builds and well-upgraded Railgun shots.

But yeah, they are a problem, I think.
The Ebon Hawk
Sarrina | Nazani
Erinya | Tinaria | Laife

Ryuku-sama
10.21.2014 , 06:49 PM | #45
Quote: Originally Posted by LilSaihah View Post
I don't think those 1h kills are really a result of luck. It might seem like it, but they're not. The usual 1hkos (or what feel like 1hkos) are the BLC battlescout builds and well-upgraded Railgun shots.

But yeah, they are a problem, I think.
Slug Railgun : 16% chance to crit. Anything else cannot 1hKO anything.

BLC : Does about 900 damage a shot + 8% crit... Not enough to 1hKO

BLC + TT + CF : 900 damage a shot + 50% crit + 75% surge. Can't 1hKO

The problem isn't 1hKO... The problem is subsecond kills. Those that are so fast a slight latency can get you killed without even knowing you're under attack.

These include
  • BLC with or without BO or TT
  • Quad under TT or BO
  • LLC under TT or BO

From all them, BLC is the slowest. Quad and LLC can do the job faster. The problem isn't railgun.. Even BLC wouldn't be that bad if it didn't have armor pen. Armor pen just make BLC to good at taking anything. But anyway the true problem is simple. The CDs. They can add over 60% burst power with a really long uptime.

To fix this without overnerfing, there are a few ways people have said forever.
  1. Reduce their duration.
  2. Make them less powerful.
  3. Give them considerable drawback
"If it wasn't broken, we shall break it. If it is balanced, we shall beat it until slow and painful death follows. If it is overpowered, it is working as intended." - Bioware 2015

Danalon
10.21.2014 , 06:59 PM | #46
A change I'd like to see with mines/drones is that they can't be placed in the same spot. If mines are dropped in the same spot, they should spread out a bit to make it easier to see how many of them there are.

Drakkolich
10.21.2014 , 07:27 PM | #47
Only 3 things in the game can kill you in one hit.

The first is a Slug Railgun Crit, which does 2400 damage and has only a 16% chance of happening, it requires you to be a scout, and use distortion field and not use reinforced armor. If you take say directional shields on a scout and use a large reactor even one of the most fragile ships in the game cannot be one shot by this railgun.

The second is a Proton Torpedo Crit which does 1308 Damage straight to hull and has only a 10% chance of happening. It automatically one hit kills all scouts, it can one hit all gunships that do not take reinforced armor.

The last way to get one shot, and is perhaps the most common are when someone picks up the Damage Overcharge Powerup in Teamdeath match. Most Railgun hits will one shot players, as well as multiple high damage missiles or torpedos.
When this Powerup is gained there is a giant red message flashed accross your screen letting you know what player has it so that you may avoid him.

As you can see one hit kills aren't very common in the game at all, they require very specific scenarios to happen. If you are talking about getting hit after already taking damage that is a whole new scenario and is not "being one shot". Most of the time players that think they were one shot was the result of very fast burst damage either from multiple players or from one player popping a bunch of cooldowns at once.

I hope that clears up all the mysteries of the "many" ways people are getting one shot.
DrakolichDrakolích
The BastionTwitch Stream

glorr
11.07.2014 , 09:13 PM | #48
Just giving another voice of support for not being able to heavily mine spawn points. Just finished a game, and all three points were nailed down. Final score was something sad like 50 to 6.

It's pretty lame spawning and seeing a sea of mines, scouts, and a bomber swirling around a Star Destroyer unopposed.

I mean, unless the plan is to give me cheap credit for matches, since those who were playing it got frustrated enough to drop, which allowed me to come in on garbage time and die a few times for credit.

I just didn't see the space battles as being a simple 5 minutes of garbage time for daily credit type add-on. That's the way it's been playing though in my experiences over the past couple of weeks.

Bolo_Yeung
11.09.2014 , 04:10 AM | #49
If the nodes are mined, then concentrating in one spawn helps - let's one man start, disarm the mines the hard way, then another - the mines won't kill all, just 1-2; rest should be able to clear the node neighbors.
I agree though, it is lamers' tactic. But again there are people enjoyinig gunshi*wall against a bunch of 2-shippers...

Wasbeer
11.09.2014 , 09:47 AM | #50
Quote: Originally Posted by Kcin_Trebla View Post
It's the same for me pal, and I guess it's the same for everyone having a T3 bomber and knowing just a bit how to use it.
But it's boring like looking at snails and most likely the majority of what we hit are premades of people just scouting the GSF thing. No fun.
First off, I never expected this thread to last so long so I guess it's cool beans people are passionate about GSF and want to see it improve in one way or another. On another note yes... and now that people have come to realize how effective the mine/sentry spam is it's not just boring for the bombers, I've encountered full on turtles in deathmatch where both teams end up camping out on either side of a single asteroid with about 20+ mines/rail sentries scattered on either side + gunships. To all of us who hadn't invested in gunships/bombers on our current characters yet it was just a sit and don't do jack for the whole match.