Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Domination on The Ebon Hawk is now a farce

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Galactic Starfighter
Domination on The Ebon Hawk is now a farce

Delta_V
04.28.2014 , 07:09 PM | #341
Quote: Originally Posted by Zoom_VI View Post
False, in the ground game objects block AoE effects.
Not *all* AoE effects are blocked AFAIK. I'm 95% sure Twin Saber Throw (a conal attack, so not a typical AOE) goes through walls, although you need to have LoS on the enemy you have targeted. I've accidentally pulled mobs on the other sides of walls when I've gotten careless with that ability. Also, I know Dreadtooth has a conal attack that goes through walls, since I've died to it several times in Section X when a group was fighting him on the other side of a wall.

But still, I've always thought having AOE attacks, whether Ion Rail or mines, go through solid objects was strange.
The Harbinger Server
The Shepard Legacy
Sibbel - 55 Sentinel
Ethmandel - 55 Commando

Zoom_VI
04.28.2014 , 09:02 PM | #342
Quote: Originally Posted by Delta_V View Post
Not *all* AoE effects are blocked AFAIK. I'm 95% sure Twin Saber Throw (a conal attack, so not a typical AOE) goes through walls, although you need to have LoS on the enemy you have targeted. I've accidentally pulled mobs on the other sides of walls when I've gotten careless with that ability. Also, I know Dreadtooth has a conal attack that goes through walls, since I've died to it several times in Section X when a group was fighting him on the other side of a wall.

But still, I've always thought having AOE attacks, whether Ion Rail or mines, go through solid objects was strange.
Well that's more to do with how the engine calculates it. The way it seems to work is that if you where to throw your sabers straight into a wall/fence they will not hit anything on the far side, however it they are thrown towards say the edge of the wall so that a portion of the cone isn't blocked then the game considered the entire AoE to be unblocked. The exception is the Novare Coast bunker which is impervious to everything.

Either way I'd still prefer the spotty ground AoE collision over the current model where a mine that tucked so far into the recess on the satellite so that it is covered on all but one side, can explode and hit everything on every side of the sat.
Crinn

Sanity is for the weak minded.

Altheran
04.28.2014 , 11:39 PM | #343
Quote: Originally Posted by Kuciwalker View Post
We've been over this already. With rare exceptions they do not. If you want to test this try dropping an AOE on one side of the pillar in Alderaan.
I'm not counting the number of time I don't hit with AoE (and not have been) in Alderaan because of using the perfect spot where the character has perfect LoS break.

tommmsunb
04.29.2014 , 01:06 AM | #344
If you can eliminate existing mines and follow in at 500m you won't die to the mines as the detonation mechanism lags. That may sound really hard but its not at all considering how crap the maneuvering it is for bombers.

TrinityLyre
10.31.2014 , 08:17 AM | #345
The trending of bombers in domination is really surprising. Even during Stock Night, it was clear that bombers had a decided advantage over the other stock alternatives. I wonder how this is faring over on The Ebon Hawk? Do situations like this come up with any regularity?
Anastasie / Phytia The Bastion
Respected and Despised & Insert Guild Name Here
Check out my Galactic Starfighter Compendium and contribute!

Zoom_VI
10.31.2014 , 08:36 AM | #346
A necro on Halloween, how fitting.
Crinn

Sanity is for the weak minded.

SammyGStatus
10.31.2014 , 11:03 AM | #347
Quote: Originally Posted by Zoom_VI View Post
A necro on Halloween, how fitting.
Ya that's 2 in 3 days. You can feel the spirit
Renegade-One / Leggogurl / Aimbot / Even'ess / Status

zaskar
10.31.2014 , 02:37 PM | #348
Quote: Originally Posted by TrinityLyre View Post
The trending of bombers in domination is really surprising. Even during Stock Night, it was clear that bombers had a decided advantage over the other stock alternatives. I wonder how this is faring over on The Ebon Hawk? Do situations like this come up with any regularity?
I had some serious issues killing the bombers that where cycling around the satellites like a turd in a loo. They kept dropping mines that I had to dodge before I could put 40 stock missiles into their hull for a kill. It took so long and I got dizzy from those downward spirals. They should remove bombers, what will happen to people with astigmatisms? All those patterns will cause them to get dizzy and fall off their chairs! This is not just a bad thing for GSF but for world wide health! You don't want people with astigmatisms falling off chairs!