Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Why is all the "Good Stuff" only attainable by spending real world Money?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Galactic Strongholds
Why is all the "Good Stuff" only attainable by spending real world Money?

Jayshames's Avatar


Jayshames
09.05.2014 , 06:24 AM | #31
Isn't everything obtainable from GTN?

Sindariel's Avatar


Sindariel
09.05.2014 , 08:01 AM | #32
Quote: Originally Posted by Jayshames View Post
Isn't everything obtainable from GTN?
The stuff from packs and direct purchases, yes. But the stuff from the certificate vendors is something special.

Certificates are rare drops from packs and you also need them for the cartel rep vendors. This makes them quite valuable and most people use their certificates for their own needs.

So, even if you're lucky and someone buys exactly the item you want and puts it on the GTN, it'll most propably be freakin' expensive.

OddballEasyEight's Avatar


OddballEasyEight
09.05.2014 , 12:25 PM | #33
Quote: Originally Posted by Sindariel View Post
The stuff from packs and direct purchases, yes. But the stuff from the certificate vendors is something special.

Certificates are rare drops from packs and you also need them for the cartel rep vendors. This makes them quite valuable and most people use their certificates for their own needs.

So, even if you're lucky and someone buys exactly the item you want and puts it on the GTN, it'll most propably be freakin' expensive.
but. still. available.

That's the important point here.
You don't HAVE to spend real world money to get anything.
Hell, you don't even have to spend real worls money to get cartel certificates, you just buy some packs off the GTN.

People don't seem to understand that the cartel market is what's keeping this game afloat right now.
It's certainly not subs since it seems only a small portion of the players are subs.
Most are preferred (either old subs or F2P who bought some CC) with the unlocks needed to play the game without too much hassle.

So the main stream of revenue is from the cartel market.

So of course the "good stuff" end up there mostly (although I personally love alot of the reputation vendor stuff, both decorations and other stuff)
Get a FREE character transfer and 7 FREE days of subscription, plus a bunch of other useful stuff by clicking my referral link.
Click here for my videos previewing blaster sounds.

RiVaN_'s Avatar


RiVaN_
09.05.2014 , 05:47 PM | #34
I betting that there are a lot more subscribers than any of us realize.

I'm not complaining about the CM decorations, the decorations you get from packs or drops or even the crafted ones. I just wish there were more items linked to achievements.
I don't like that the only place to get a Bar is from a pack, the cartel market or buy it from the GTN. It kinda makes sense for a bar to be able to be purchased from a vendor using a MK-3 Prefab, but oh well.

All I am saying is, "hey Dev's, can we get some achievements tied in to our decorations?" And "the pictures as trophies are total crap"
Nikolete, Scoundrel - Republic Flashfire
Drivan, Sentinel - Souls of Fate

Jedi Covenant

OddballEasyEight's Avatar


OddballEasyEight
09.05.2014 , 11:01 PM | #35
Quote: Originally Posted by RiVaN_ View Post
I betting that there are a lot more subscribers that any of us realize.

I'm not complaining about the CM decorations, the decorations you get from packs or drops or even the crafted ones. I just wish there were more items linked to achievements.
I don't like that the only place to get a Bar if from a pack, the cartel market or buy from the GTN. It kinda makes sense for a bar to be able to be purchased from a vendor using a MK-3 Prefab, but oh well.

All I am saying is, "hey Dev's, can we get some achievements tied in to our decorations?" And "the pictures as trophies are total crap"
Well, the last number we heard was 250.000 so I assume they would mention subscriber numbers rising if that had changed by much.
Get a FREE character transfer and 7 FREE days of subscription, plus a bunch of other useful stuff by clicking my referral link.
Click here for my videos previewing blaster sounds.

DawnAskham's Avatar


DawnAskham
09.05.2014 , 11:58 PM | #36
Quote: Originally Posted by OddballEasyEight View Post
but. still. available.

That's the important point here.
You don't HAVE to spend real world money to get anything.
Hell, you don't even have to spend real worls money to get cartel certificates, you just buy some packs off the GTN.

People don't seem to understand that the cartel market is what's keeping this game afloat right now.
It's certainly not subs since it seems only a small portion of the players are subs.
Most are preferred (either old subs or F2P who bought some CC) with the unlocks needed to play the game without too much hassle.

So the main stream of revenue is from the cartel market.

So of course the "good stuff" end up there mostly (although I personally love alot of the reputation vendor stuff, both decorations and other stuff)
People do understand that the CM contributes - but to what extent it 'keeps the game afloat' in having CM money invested into the game versus flowing back into EA's coffers we'll never know.

And as Sindariel stated, the basic deco stuff tied to certs is freaking annoying because it is both basic decos like rugs and lights and plants that people would use multiples of in just one stronghold and because the Certificates are bound and thus one has to hope someone has Certificates, uses them to buy decorations, and then posts them on the GTN.

I've been checking and found the red rug posted once for over a million while I have seen none of the plants. At the same time, I've seen pages of the dancer NPC sold for the same Certificate that buys the rug, with plenty posted in the 200k range.

This is different than say the jukebox which while rare from a cartel pack, isn't a decoration people would use in every room, and other than the dancer NPCs, I've seen more of them posted than I have most of the items on the certificate furnishings vendor.

Oh and I could buy the rare jukebox for not much more than the sold on a vendor simple red rug.

They should leave Certificates as a currency for use in buying old retired CM stuff or allow Certificates to be bought and sold on the GTN, as well they should move all the basic deco stuff off the cert vendor and onto normal crafted and rep vendors.

RiVaN_'s Avatar


RiVaN_
09.08.2014 , 04:52 PM | #37
Quote: Originally Posted by DawnAskham View Post
People do understand that the CM contributes - but to what extent it 'keeps the game afloat' in having CM money invested into the game versus flowing back into EA's coffers we'll never know.

And as Sindariel stated, the basic deco stuff tied to certs is freaking annoying because it is both basic decos like rugs and lights and plants that people would use multiples of in just one stronghold and because the Certificates are bound and thus one has to hope someone has Certificates, uses them to buy decorations, and then posts them on the GTN.

I've been checking and found the red rug posted once for over a million while I have seen none of the plants. At the same time, I've seen pages of the dancer NPC sold for the same Certificate that buys the rug, with plenty posted in the 200k range.

This is different than say the jukebox which while rare from a cartel pack, isn't a decoration people would use in every room, and other than the dancer NPCs, I've seen more of them posted than I have most of the items on the certificate furnishings vendor.

Oh and I could buy the rare jukebox for not much more than the sold on a vendor simple red rug.

They should leave Certificates as a currency for use in buying old retired CM stuff or allow Certificates to be bought and sold on the GTN, as well they should move all the basic deco stuff off the cert vendor and onto normal crafted and rep vendors.
I can't agree more
Nikolete, Scoundrel - Republic Flashfire
Drivan, Sentinel - Souls of Fate

Jedi Covenant

OddballEasyEight's Avatar


OddballEasyEight
09.08.2014 , 10:10 PM | #38
Quote: Originally Posted by DawnAskham View Post
And as Sindariel stated, the basic deco stuff tied to certs is freaking annoying because it is both basic decos like rugs and lights and plants that people would use multiples of in just one stronghold and because the Certificates are bound and thus one has to hope someone has Certificates, uses them to buy decorations, and then posts them on the GTN.

I've been checking and found the red rug posted once for over a million while I have seen none of the plants. At the same time, I've seen pages of the dancer NPC sold for the same Certificate that buys the rug, with plenty posted in the 200k range.

This is different than say the jukebox which while rare from a cartel pack, isn't a decoration people would use in every room, and other than the dancer NPCs, I've seen more of them posted than I have most of the items on the certificate furnishings vendor.

Oh and I could buy the rare jukebox for not much more than the sold on a vendor simple red rug.
I agree with this part.
Having pretty basic decorations tied to the cartel certificates is a moronic move.

And I think their data will show that almost nobody is buying it.

Unfortunately, it is exceptionally rare for a company to go back and change things like that, so those decorations will forever be locked away and almost never used by anyone.
But, we'll get new decorations and forget about those old ones in time.

The personell is fine behind that certificate wall and are selling like crazy on the GTN.

As for the OP, he was of course talking about decorations in the cartel packs, not the ones in the certificates vendor.
Get a FREE character transfer and 7 FREE days of subscription, plus a bunch of other useful stuff by clicking my referral link.
Click here for my videos previewing blaster sounds.

FercPolo's Avatar


FercPolo
09.09.2014 , 01:07 PM | #39
The Senatorial Rug? No, we're definitely buying it, I've got four of them.