Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Analytical Sharpshooter Dummy and Raiding Guide

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Gunslinger / Sniper
Analytical Sharpshooter Dummy and Raiding Guide

DieGhostDie
08.21.2014 , 04:18 PM | #1
As of 3.0, this guide will no longer be relevant. Expect a new 3.0 guide coming soon™

For the Imperial Counterpart, Marksmanship, click here.

Hello, community. I've decided to make my own version of the Gunslinger Guide. The guide will focus on a typical static rotation as well as my personal take on bosses in the current Nightmare Operations: Dread Fortress and Dread Palace.

Introductions:
Spoiler

Records:
Spoiler

Overview:
Spoiler

The Basics:
Spoiler

Notable Talents
Spoiler

Key Abilities:
Spoiler

The Rotation:

Spoiler

Analytical Rotation Breakdown:
Spoiler

Videos:

Raiding Tips:
Spoiler

Raids:
(For the sake of the thread, I'm only going to focus on Sharpshooter spec only.)

Nightmare Dread Fortress:
Spoiler

Nightmare Dread Palace:
Spoiler

Closing and Credits:
Spoiler
WrldFrst Forum T-r0l powered by FrankerZ

DieGhostDie
08.21.2014 , 04:21 PM | #2
Reserved.

Vaidinah
08.24.2014 , 10:37 AM | #3
Good job on the guide. It took me a while to get around to reading it and I disagree with some of what's been written, but I mainly wanted to add a tip.

While you made it clear that you replace Trickshot in the sub-30% phase with other skills since it does less damage (it's more useful as energy management than anything else), this is also true above 30%. This can be especially useful in high burst phases where every GCD counts. Thus, if you are in a situation like the droids on NiM Brontes where you must kill them ASAP, you want to completely ignore your Trickshot in your combo unless you need to use it for energy.

For example, when the droids come down, we have Flyby already set up, your Aimed Shot should be ready to go (use Charged Burst twice on Brontes while waiting), and after Aimed Shot, you can use Speed Shot --> Burst Volley --> Speed Shot --> Quickdraw. This gives you the maximum amount of damage in the time frame needed to kill the droid.
The Harbinger
Intrepid

Guardian/Juggernaut Tank Guide: From Beginner to Master

DieGhostDie
08.24.2014 , 12:40 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Vaidinah View Post
Good job on the guide. It took me a while to get around to reading it and I disagree with some of what's been written, but I mainly wanted to add a tip.

While you made it clear that you replace Trickshot in the sub-30% phase with other skills since it does less damage (it's more useful as energy management than anything else), this is also true above 30%. This can be especially useful in high burst phases where every GCD counts. Thus, if you are in a situation like the droids on NiM Brontes where you must kill them ASAP, you want to completely ignore your Trickshot in your combo unless you need to use it for energy.

For example, when the droids come down, we have Flyby already set up, your Aimed Shot should be ready to go (use Charged Burst twice on Brontes while waiting), and after Aimed Shot, you can use Speed Shot --> Burst Volley --> Speed Shot --> Quickdraw. This gives you the maximum amount of damage in the time frame needed to kill the droid.
Mmm I haven't thought of it this way. Good tip, Aeralos. I'll credit you for this and add it to one of the phases in Brontes. Updating soon.

With that combo, you'll already have a Trickshot gained from Quickdraw which you can use on the next droid and you can use the Snap Shot Charged Burst for instant spike damage (Having Smuggler's Luck is a plus).

DieGhostDie
08.28.2014 , 05:54 PM | #5
I think it is safe to say now that I will no longer have forum access in a couple days. I want to thank you all who have read my guides for Marksmanship/Sharpshooter and for making SWTOR full of competitive fun. While I am at it, I want to spitball some of the tentative future updates I have in mind...

1.) I may either scrap the whole contents of the 2.0 guide to make room for the 3.0 guide or I may start a new thread.
2.) I may create my "Snipers/Gunslingers Thoughts and Criticisms" thread on this Sniper thread (and in the 3.0 PTS Thread) just to highlight what's nerfed, what's buffed, and what's new in 3.0.
3.) Before I lose forum access, I forgot to add the importance of Laze Target/Smuggler's Luck. I'll explain more in-depth hopefully as soon as possible

Other than that, I hope to see you all in 3.0. It's an open discussion from here on out, so feel free to use this thread concerning this spec.

Shulk

DieGhostDie
10.08.2014 , 02:55 AM | #6
I am back in the game! (Still a casual though.)

So with the 3.0 overhaul of the new Discipline system, this guide will pretty much be scrapped. I will be posting a new 3.0 Master Marksmanship/Sharpshooter guide if closed PTS testing is available to me.

I'll still be taking questions until then, so fire away. *swoosh swoosh*

TACeMossie
10.08.2014 , 03:36 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by DieGhostDie View Post
I am back in the game! (Still a casual though.)

So with the 3.0 overhaul of the new Discipline system, this guide will pretty much be scrapped. I will be posting a new 3.0 Master Marksmanship/Sharpshooter guide if closed PTS testing is available to me.

I'll still be taking questions until then, so fire away. *swoosh swoosh*
Looking forwards to it.

Anyway, recently i've been trying to go marksmanship, however for some reason im using energy far too quickly for my natural regen to keep up, despite using your rotation exactly. Im having to slow down my APM in order to avoid running out of energy. Is this a common problem or is something going completely wrong with my skill tree?

For reference, I do have the 4-piece bonus, and I run out of energy at around the 100 second mark (right before the second target acquired)

Also wrong thread, but whatever (I realised after posting). I can translate from slinger terms easily, or you can put the reply in the Marksmanship guide if you want, whatever is more convenient for you.
Kwerty/Mossie

Once a guy who wrote guides, now just a guy getting back in
Vanguards/Powertechs 4 lyf

DieGhostDie
10.08.2014 , 01:46 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by TACeMossie View Post
Looking forwards to it.

Anyway, recently i've been trying to go marksmanship, however for some reason im using energy far too quickly for my natural regen to keep up, despite using your rotation exactly. Im having to slow down my APM in order to avoid running out of energy. Is this a common problem or is something going completely wrong with my skill tree?

For reference, I do have the 4-piece bonus, and I run out of energy at around the 100 second mark (right before the second target acquired)

Also wrong thread, but whatever (I realised after posting). I can translate from slinger terms easily, or you can put the reply in the Marksmanship guide if you want, whatever is more convenient for you.
A common problem. In the past where I was trying to master Marksmanship/Sharpshooter, I had energy problems outside of the burst volley window. I often had to auto attack to maintain above at least 70-75 energy to continue my flow of sequences.

I think the best way I can say is keep trying. If anything, show me a video and I can see what you might have done something wrong. It's like a Track and Field athlete doing sprints 24/7 for the 100m dash in hopes of getting an explosive start and a strong finish.

Regarding to Sniper/Gunslinger terminology, please do it by all means. I'm in my college semester right now, so my commitment to the community is quite limited.

TACeMossie
10.12.2014 , 06:55 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by DieGhostDie View Post
A common problem. In the past where I was trying to master Marksmanship/Sharpshooter, I had energy problems outside of the burst volley window. I often had to auto attack to maintain above at least 70-75 energy to continue my flow of sequences.

I think the best way I can say is keep trying. If anything, show me a video and I can see what you might have done something wrong. It's like a Track and Field athlete doing sprints 24/7 for the 100m dash in hopes of getting an explosive start and a strong finish.

Regarding to Sniper/Gunslinger terminology, please do it by all means. I'm in my college semester right now, so my commitment to the community is quite limited.
Haha i tried to replicate it, but for some reason I can't pull it off anymore :P
No idea why either, cause I just did a powerlevel of a hybrid (Mad Lightning) sorc and a rage marauder, where resource management is a joke.
Kwerty/Mossie

Once a guy who wrote guides, now just a guy getting back in
Vanguards/Powertechs 4 lyf