Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Threat Generation the three tanking classes

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
Threat Generation the three tanking classes

Methoxa
08.11.2014 , 11:23 PM | #11
Pull Bestia --> Rotation + masstaunt

When you get kicked singletaunt asap to your tanking position.
Best would be when Bestia kicks you to your tankingspot

Pt's can use hydraulic override
Sins can use phasewalk
Juggers can use intercede

Or just google for videos
Dread Master

fire-breath
08.12.2014 , 06:36 AM | #12
Using phasewalk on bestia? Is that really needed on NiM?
I rather have more uptime on the 5% healing increase than a fast port back to tankspot. Ofc you can use if you are afraid of falling off the edge what in that case your position is wrong. I tend to use forcespeed after a knockback.

Anyways aggro wise I noticed vanguards/powertechs can be slightly harder than shadow/guardians. At least for the untrained one. Recently did a DP HM where I couldn't get into it. Making silly mistakes as storming in and spamming my 2 free explosive surges .....

Ohw one more thing if you watch videos. You can't resist the knockback anymore I think. They changed it when NiM came out. Please do correct me if I'm wrong.
Progression raiding toons on the big RED
Zal'ssesse - Engi Sniper Macewindy - Sab Slinger

PugsloveHP - the 60k HP commando DPS/healer

fire-breath
08.12.2014 , 06:40 AM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by TACeMossie View Post
Open by going:
Battle Focus
Mortar Volley
Storm
[Shoulder cannon spam]
Taunt
Pulse Cannon
Stockstrike
Explosive Surge
High Impact Bolt
Explosive Surge
AoE Taunt
Pulse Cannon
Hammer Shots
Stockstrike
Energy Blast
Also please note to use shouldercannon WHILE doing other abilities since SC is off the global cooldown ;-)
Progression raiding toons on the big RED
Zal'ssesse - Engi Sniper Macewindy - Sab Slinger

PugsloveHP - the 60k HP commando DPS/healer

slafko
08.18.2014 , 03:45 AM | #14
Please don't encourage Vanguard tanks to use Mortar Volley, thank you.
I see their R2 droid and I grab it. No, you can't have it back, silly rabbit!

Mr_Fuzzle
08.18.2014 , 12:19 PM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by slafko View Post
Why not? It does excellent damage (and based on that, threat) up front. The math and testing was done by mgnmttrn a long time ago as to why this ability should be used up front. It quite simply is the best opener for a Vanguard. There are honestly very few bosses where you actually can open up with Mortar Volley (Grob'thok, Draxus, Corruptor Zero) but ideally you would. For most bosses, you'll simply use the rotation outlined by TACEmossie minus the Mortar Volley and push the taunts back a few GCDs.

Khevar
08.18.2014 , 02:56 PM | #16
Could you elaborate?

My ops tanking experience has been with my Assassin and my Shadow. My Vanguard tank is a new 55 and I've only done flashpoints on her so far.

I was under the impression that MV was a decent opener. What's bad about it?

TACeMossie
08.18.2014 , 07:15 PM | #17
Hey, unless your running Assault spec, Mortar Volley is a DPS increase (and as a tank, a threat increase)

Just its difficult to aim unless you have a free GCD, which is where pulse cannon comes in handy
Kwerty, Level 60 Vanguard on The Harbinger
Vanguard DPS Guide | Powertech DPS Guide

RIP Plasmatech 3.0 - 3.1.1

slafko
08.19.2014 , 01:16 AM | #18
What's bad about MV is that it's highly situational and very few tanks realise that.

Say you have a group of half dozen mobs. You open up with MV and go all Michael Bay on them only to find yourself jumped by two mobs a second later. Now you have to deal with two separate groups: the ones on you and the ones 20 meters away. It's better just to Storm in and 2x eSurge them to keep them balled up for DPS AoE attacks.

I know everyone likes big numbers flying on their screen, but the tank's job is to have mobs grouped up and busy with him.

Furthermore, encouraging MV use as opener only plays to the false notion that the Vanguard is a ranged tank. Most of VG tanks I've met that open with MV follow up with Full Auto, Sticky Grenade and just stand there at a distance spamming Hammer Shot while waiting for that APB to become available.

Quote: Originally Posted by Mr_Fuzzle View Post
Why not? It does excellent damage (and based on that, threat) up front. The math and testing was done by mgnmttrn a long time ago as to why this ability should be used up front. It quite simply is the best opener for a Vanguard. There are honestly very few bosses where you actually can open up with Mortar Volley (Grob'thok, Draxus, Corruptor Zero) but ideally you would. For most bosses, you'll simply use the rotation outlined by TACEmossie minus the Mortar Volley and push the taunts back a few GCDs.
Grob'thok: Not needed. You'll be taunting that bastard on cooldown anyway.
Draxus: Pointless as he will just swoop out of there in 5 seconds.
Corruptor Zero: You're opening on adds, not the actual boss. Which is okay if the other tank has jumped in melee range and keeps them occupied.
I see their R2 droid and I grab it. No, you can't have it back, silly rabbit!