Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

which class to chose.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
which class to chose.

NibblesNibbler
08.15.2014 , 02:22 AM | #1
I'm unsure on which type of character suits my play style best.
I like to play bruiser/fighter types. Not a tank. But not a pure dps. Somewhere in between.
A character that does a good amount of dps but is also semi hard to bring down .
I thought maybe the marauder/ sentinel.
Suggestions would be great thanks.

venomlash
08.15.2014 , 04:56 PM | #2
You could try a Vanguard. Heavy armor, electrical blasts, stockstrike and knife attacks, and the option to set enemies on fire depending on how you specialize. The mirror class, the Powertech, swaps out the stockstrikes for a rocket-powered uppercut and the electricity for even more fire. They also have the ability to tank if they feel like it.

Sentinel/Marauder has poor mitigation but excellent defensive abilities. They're more bursty DPS.

Finally, the Scoundrel/Operative is very fun to play as a brawler-type enemy; the Scrapper Scoundrel basically has you punching the snot out of enemies after softening them up with your shotgun. (The mirror spec, Concealment Operative, is basically one big flurry of knife attacks.) Of course, they don't have the best durability. They're more slippery than anything else, capable of avoiding being hit rather than simply withstanding the big hits.
Quote: Originally Posted by MichelleArcher View Post
Hey there, all! This thread has passed the dreaded 1,000 post limit, and is now in fire. Thanks for the fun, but we feel this discussion as run its course. We will not be restarting this thread.
Jarrant Gartin, Gunnery Commando, Spark of Hope, Begeren Colony

Cuiwe
08.15.2014 , 06:00 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by venomlash View Post
You could try a Vanguard. Heavy armor, electrical blasts, stockstrike and knife attacks, and the option to set enemies on fire depending on how you specialize. The mirror class, the Powertech, swaps out the stockstrikes for a Shoryu-Ken and the electricity for even more fire. They also have the ability to tank if they feel like it.

Sentinel/Marauder has poor mitigation but excellent defensive abilities. They're more bursty DPS.

Finally, the Scoundrel/Operative is very fun to play as a brawler-type enemy; the Scrapper Scoundrel basically has you punching the snot out of enemies after softening them up with your shotgun. (The mirror spec, Concealment Operative, is basically one big flurry of knife attacks.) Of course, they don't have the best durability. They're more slippery than anything else, capable of avoiding being hit rather than simply withstanding the big hits.
Fixed the ultra important part.

As for the OP:

I'd go for Jedi Knight or Sith Warrior personally. In Vigilance/Vengeance spec, you are basically a tanky DPS that dishes out more DPS than you'd think about. Quite surprising that a spec has both that durability and damage. Or you could choose Focus/Rage if AoE is more up your alley.

I'd also suggest Vanguard/PowerTech. They are short range, mobile, tanky class. Tactics/AP trees are fairly hybrid-able(just get to Pulse Gen/Adv.Flamethrower and you can start hybriding), so you can mix them with Assault/PyroTech for more single target/DoT effects or with shield trees in order to increase your elemental(Pulse Cannon/Flamethrower ahoy!) damage and armour(rebraced, Riot gas). Note: it's a SHORT to melee range class! Staying above mid range is daft on these two.

Beyond those two...none really. Sentinel/Marauder can be tanky as hell, but it does require the use of skills. Otherwise, you aren't exactly a squish, but you're not someone who can just assert himself into someone's face either. If you do decide to take the challenging route, take either Focus or Rage. They are the toughest of Sent/Mara trees.
"I am not in this for politics, nor the wanton destruction, hell not even for credits. I have chosen this way of life because of the hunt and because it was pushed onto me on some ugly slimeball called a "pearl" and Honour bound me to this path ever onwards" Caelestinus

NibblesNibbler
08.15.2014 , 10:55 PM | #4
Cheers guys. I've decided to give the vanguard a crack see how I go with that. Thanks for the advice.