Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Hidden Mechanics???

AlCiao
08.13.2014 , 04:38 PM | #1
I have a level 55 sorcerer. His bonus damage is 1685.1 currently and his Shock lists approximately 3200 damage (it's a range from 3100-something to 3200-something), when moused over on the quickbar.

I took off all his gear (mainhand, offhand, armor, relics, implants, earpiece, everything), and his Shock is listed as doing 494-601 damage.

That is a significant difference from 3200 damage. If my bonus damage was only 1685.1, shouldn't the Shock still be at about 1500 or 1600 damage? Why did it go down that much farther?

A guildie has a level 55 assassin, and she stripped off her gear as well. Her Shock damage is also listed as 494-602. But what about Assassin's Training? It's a passive ability all assassins have that gives +25% damage to their Shock; so why is her ungeared Shock damage the same as mine?

I'm sure there are answers to these questions that have been widely known for some time, but I'm mystified. Could someone clue me in as to what mechanics I'm missing here? Thanks ^_^

OniGanon
08.13.2014 , 11:44 PM | #2
Every ability has coefficients that multiply your damage. That's what you're missing.

AlCiao
08.14.2014 , 06:09 AM | #3
Thanks for your answer So do these coefficients only come into play when gear is equipped, or what? Is there any way to see the coefficients?

OniGanon
08.14.2014 , 10:00 AM | #4
It's not that the coefficients don't work without gear. It's just that without any gear, your Bonus Damage (and Weapon Damage in the case of Melee/Ranged weapon attacks) is too low for you to notice the effect of the multiplier. If you multiply a number close to zero, the result is another number close to zero, y'know?

If you want a more detailed explanation on what goes on to produce your tooltip numbers, you might want to check this guide:
http://dulfy.net/2014/03/01/swtor-me...ding-tooltips/

As for finding these coefficients, you could look up the ability on torhead.com and click the link that says Effect Details. This will bring up a list of what appears to be jibberish, but look closely and you'll find the Coefficient in there. I don't know how up to date torhead is on this stuff though.

AlCiao
08.14.2014 , 11:06 AM | #5
Thank you so much, that's really helpful