Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Tanking council fight (NiM)

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
Tanking council fight (NiM)

AAAAzrael
08.05.2014 , 03:32 AM | #1
Hey,

(This is about NiM, I didn't specify it originally)

I thought maybe you guys have advise that could be useful for me but maybe also other groups. We have spent 3 nights so far on council trying different strategies and have had limited success with it.

Issues as far as I have established so far for tanks are:

1. gearing - question I don't know answer to is if we should go full absorb for this fight. What I noticed so far is that majority of tank damage comes from Calphayus's basic attack, although the spikes come from both crystal projection and force push from Bestia. As melee attacks from both can be defended maybe it's worth going more defence heavy for this fight?

2. When and how to do tank swaps - The way that seems to be working best for our group is - after each push, tank kites Bestia in range of taunts with Calphayus, does a countdown and both tanks taunt and swap places at the same time. In 80% of cases it's perfect. In some cases however either there is lag, activation delay (I seem to be suffering with taunt activation delay a lot in this fight) or simply timing is not perfect and Bestia leaps to Calphayus before leaping again back to her tank. This results either in excessive damage to Calphayus tank or in insta wipe if he does his crystal projection at that moment (got hit for 80k last night once).
Alternative which we still use in the phase when we DPS Bestia to keep her more stationary is for a DPS to taunt after knockback. I like this strategy as a tank but there is high risk wrong person will get SOAd because of that and that usually causes a wipe.
Is there specific sequence/distance whatever which you use for swaps to avoid wipe due to them buffing each other?

3. Positioning - it plays a large role . It seems that safe spots to keep Bestia are exit from entry corridor and the part in front of her throne. What do you guys do if Tyrans pops right on top of you when you are kiting her for the swap? What do you do when he pops next to place where you keep her?

I am not sure but there may be other issues I haven't thought of so far, but any input is welcome
Ingalaarn Conqueror of the Dread Fortress / Ji'kiley Deposer of the Dread Masters
Joshased From Beyond / Dread Slayer Xartanol
Manticore @ The Red Eclipse

fire-breath
08.05.2014 , 03:52 AM | #2
Take this comment with a grain of salt but wouldn't it make sense to go shielded/absorb heavy to eliminate as many higher undefended/unshielded hits? Afterall you run a high chance of running out of healing range at times. I know I am in HM. But than again maybe I just suck at staying in range of my healers :P

You might take a bit more dtps over the length of the fight, but if the extremes are happening less often it might help the healers more than for example 50 dtps less.
Progression raiding toons on the big RED
Zal'ssesse - Engi Sniper Srh - Shadow Tank

PugsloveHP - the 50k HP commando DPS/healer
R.I.P. Macewindy - Sab Slinger

AAAAzrael
08.05.2014 , 04:05 AM | #3
Problem in this fight is that DtPS currently in our group is very slightly higher then HPS. Healers run out of resources towards end of phase one. Most of our wipes are around mark of 4 minutes. I'd like to help as I can. Currently I am stacked up on absorb with over 1500 absorb, I am thinking of maybe taking some more defence.

I attribute the massive spikes to wrong tank swaps or positioning of Bestia.

I just watched Zorz video and I think I know what we are doing wrong - we try to keep Calphayus stationary so his circles are not spread, while we should try to keep Bestia more stationary and not care as much about Calphayus.
Ingalaarn Conqueror of the Dread Fortress / Ji'kiley Deposer of the Dread Masters

JouerTue
08.05.2014 , 04:24 AM | #4
mmm, we used to swap immediatly when calphayus comes down, then at second knockback, which should happen at 3-4 stacks i think. kite calphayus as usual and tank bestia on the mid holocron, being pushed on her throne's area and back on the holocron, you should do the swap right after you land on the holocron and speed/leap on calphayus while the other tank leaps/speed on bestia, we got that timing and found our way swapping during/right after the knockback, the only issues we met sometimes were landing too far from healers or falling, and one night we got tyrans pulling the tank during the knockback which seems to kill him.. positioning needs a bit of practice but if you have a shadow or a VG, negating the knockback could be useful in the first minutes of the fight
The Red Eclipse
Republic: anstacav, giranda, hobogo, vitulal, wasiq, zadoro, onovidi
Empire: astutillo, comel'am, covamo, heksebo, qarrarr, dadietr
The Harbringer- Republic: hobogo; Empire: qarrarr

AAAAzrael
08.05.2014 , 04:30 AM | #5
I think you are writing about HM version. In NiM if you tank in the middle you're off and dead. I will correct the title of original post.

JouerTue
08.05.2014 , 05:58 AM | #6
well just a small small difference
The Red Eclipse
Republic: anstacav, giranda, hobogo, vitulal, wasiq, zadoro, onovidi
Empire: astutillo, comel'am, covamo, heksebo, qarrarr, dadietr
The Harbringer- Republic: hobogo; Empire: qarrarr

AAAAzrael
08.05.2014 , 06:20 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by JouerTue View Post
well just a small small difference

Difference is more then I would like

AAAAzrael
08.14.2014 , 03:46 AM | #8
Not many comment here, but anyway. I looked that vast majority of damage coming from Calphayus is basic attacks, going to swap somewhat more defence and see what happens.