Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

So when do we get the Appearance Tab?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Crew Skills
So when do we get the Appearance Tab?

Ohoni
12.17.2011 , 12:26 AM | #31
Quote:
If you want something I think you should work for it. The current crafting system makes you work for it. It works within the confine of the lore and really is enjoyable.
I don't think effort for effort's sake is always justified. It's like a TV remote. Yes, every time I want to change the channel I could get up and manually flick through the channels, or maybe I could make it extra hard and insist on using the remote but putting the remote upstairs after each use so that I need to go up and down the stairs each time, but on balance I think it's just all around better to go with the convenient option of keeping the remote nearby and using it to change channels instead.

I'm not saying that everything in the game needs to be handed out without requiring effort, I'm not objecting to having to earn the gear itself through gameplay, I just think that the current mechanic smacks of "busywork," of being inconvenient for inconvenience's sake. The "reward" you get of not looking like a thrift-store reject is not something that should require the amount of effort that must be put into it. This is something that should be available right at the player's fingertips at all time. It does not make me feel "better" to have "earned" the right to look how I want, it just makes me frustrated that I have not.

Again, if you value the effort of hand-tailoring the specific outfit you like, then feel free to do so, with or without an appearance tab, just as I could hide my remote upstairs if I felt like it, but it should be your responsibility and self-control that creates that system of work for reward if it's you that values such an interaction. That system should not be enforced on everyone, even if they don't share your interest in self-flagellation.

mightygaz
12.17.2011 , 12:31 AM | #32
a crafting system that makes you work for it, thats madness!!! no, wait, that doesnt sound right at all......

Ohoni
12.17.2011 , 12:34 AM | #33
Oh, and one other thing, the whole "fits within the lore" escuse is just plain, 100% BS. Just drop that one. None of this "fits within the lore." Obi Wan in New Hope was wearing rags, and yet presumably had "level 50 stats." He didn't weave those robes to include the armor properties of his Clone Wars armor, he just got the stats. Leia didn't need to "mod up" her slave girl outfit to have the stats needed to take out Jabba.

Basically, gear-dependent performance is completely outside the lore, at most, the only effect gear would have on performance would be that heavy armor would be tougher than light armor, and some armor would offer slightly higher armor stat within its class than others, but the gear of a "level 50" Jedi in the lore would provide no significant advantage over "level 1" armor.

So gear with stats is already completely outside the lore, and therefore any system that involves modifying low level gear to incorporate the stats of high level gear is equally outside the lore, lore simply cannot be used to justify anything when it comes to appearance customization.

Really the appearance tab is the best system if one is trying to be true to the lore, as it relegates gear to its proper role, just a general stat-modification mechanism, almost completely divorced from how your character looks.

Quote:
a crafting system that makes you work for it, thats madness!!! no, wait, that doesnt sound right at all......
Nobody's talking about simplifying the crafting system, the crafting system should be left largely untouched. We're discussing simplifying appearance customization, in such a way that it has almost nothing to do with crafting, as is the case in most other games.

Munchiesman
12.17.2011 , 12:35 AM | #34
Okay this may sound stupid but im gonna say it anyway the A-Tab is for looks only right ? why not just instead allow only social gear to be wear there ? At least then the social Clothes would come in handy.

Mckor
12.25.2011 , 09:56 PM | #35
For those of you that say there is "an orange item for every look", please tell me exactly what orange items match the look of medium Combat Synth armor. I love the look. I've reverse-engineered every piece up to purple, but as I understand it you can't continue to RE it till it gets to orange.

I've been trawling the GTN, and so far I have seen NO oranges that duplicate the look. I've seen plenty of stuff that is hideous, or looks like it belongs in City of Heroes, but nothing that matches the look of Combat Synth.

You can't tell me that it's "not lore," or it wouldn't be available at all.

Until someone can specifically name the orange armor that gives me a look identical to what I'm wearing, and what I like, I don't think you can argue that you can get any look you want from crafting.

DeathHenk
12.25.2011 , 10:47 PM | #36
@OP, i agree.

I see some people complaining it would be easy to obtain certain looks, but how about we do it like WoW: Hand in the item you want it to look like. That way, rare item looks are still to be worked for, but players can choose not to look like it because they dont like the looks.

MasterBlasterO
12.25.2011 , 10:56 PM | #37
That is what the oranges are for.

Mckor
12.25.2011 , 11:00 PM | #38
Quote: Originally Posted by MasterBlasterO View Post
That is what the oranges are for.
Again, prove there are oranges for every look. I've yet to find one that matches my current armor.

Does that mean they don't exist? Not necessarily, but I have yet to find any orange that matches Combat Synth. If it exists, tell me what it is called, and what level schematic it is. Otherwise simply saying "that is what oranges are for" is an empty statement that can not be backed up by facts.

pSyToR
12.25.2011 , 11:20 PM | #39
Quote: Originally Posted by Mckor View Post
Again, prove there are oranges for every look. I've yet to find one that matches my current armor.

Does that mean they don't exist? Not necessarily, but I have yet to find any orange that matches Combat Synth. If it exists, tell me what it is called, and what level schematic it is. Otherwise simply saying "that is what oranges are for" is an empty statement that can not be backed up by facts.
The game just started... Not all Patterns have been found... Yup that's the down side of starting a game at launch...

From my experience Oranges are mostly patterns found through "slicing" missions that Slicers will get from time to time...
■████████████████████]}][Ξ])])])))|((([([([Ξ][{[████████████████████■

pSyToR
12.25.2011 , 11:31 PM | #40
To OP ... And All others that do not agree with the Orange Moddable items...

1 - The systems is NEW ... Even the devs themselves says it still has to be worked on... They are working to make it better...

2 - As an other one said earlier... The Orange are made that you have to work to be able to keep your look... In real life when you change your running shoes... Will you call Nike and tell them "Hey I preferred that model last year... can you make me a special pair that look EXACTLY the same but have the same new features you put on the new ones ???

3 - Some one brought a pretty interesting idea... I hope dev will read this... it would be a great idea that a "Synthweaver" (for example) would be able to transform any force armor from "Not moddable with stats" to full "Orange Moddable" items without any stats... So from that idea ... a "none" synthweaver that likes the look of that said armor... go see his friendly Synthweaver put it in a "special" trade window and RE it to become "orange" without stats... And maybe makes it a possible "crit" re-eng and the synthweaver can learn the schem...

4 - This game is an MMO ... Once again Let's go back to the BASIC "M"MO... Multi-Player... MULTI... Meaning MANY... That means a "society" kinda thing... That means you cannot survive on your own... That means if you want something... Well you might have to ask help from someone else... If you want Oranges ... either make the mods your self... But you won't be able to make the orange armor yourself... Or make the orange yourself and find someone to help you mod your Armors...

5 - To the OP ... giving example about the remote control... the second floor... I would suggest instead of putting it on the second floor... Put it outside... maybe you'll realize there is a real world outside... and you cannot modify everything you want just because you had something that looked like it...

I think the Orange systems is still a work in progress... but they are on a good direction with it... If you want your look work you ***** off to get it... Stop giving everything QQers want... Make the game rewarding...
■████████████████████]}][Ξ])])])))|((([([([Ξ][{[████████████████████■