Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

How to help the game regain population and keep what is left

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Flashpoints, Operations, and Heroic Missions
How to help the game regain population and keep what is left

LegoUniverseBC
08.06.2014 , 06:29 AM | #11
You mean how to help regain the 1% of hardcore raiders? The casual raiders and FP players never left and are still here. With the Xpac comes new HM FPs and operations which people will come back for.

Gilnor
08.06.2014 , 07:46 AM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by LegoUniverseBC View Post
You mean how to help regain the 1% of hardcore raiders? The casual raiders and FP players never left and are still here. With the Xpac comes new HM FPs and operations which people will come back for.
It's 1% more and it's 1% that will be paying a subscription. and 1% of 500000 players is like 5000 players. So... It's 5000 more people playing and paying. If you don't want that 1% then, I rest my case. That's also 5000 people that will be doing HM FPs from time to time and will be able to carry said casuals through content that they can't do for various reason (lack of experience due to lack of time to play, lack of gear, lack of skill, etc...).

Oh and by the way, if the casuals are all still here, if it's just that 1% the game have lost why are we even talking about getting people back?
GilnŠuro - Assassin
TRE - Disciples of Babylon

Crixaliss
08.06.2014 , 09:09 AM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by JMagee View Post
1. Regarding new HM FPs: If they were to add a new HM FP to the game tomorrow, where should it fit, gearwise?
Assuming the average long-time player probably has a lot of 180 gear (Oriconian/DF) by now, how do you create a HM FP that is meaningful for a lot of people to run, but not gated by (or provide an easier alternative BiS gearing strategy) gear requirements?

The addition of the new 55 HM FPs with the last expansion and level cap increase was a perfect time to introduce more HM FPs, because there was a gear reset and as a result, the need for re-gearing, of which BM level gear was a good first step.

I just don't see how they could integrate new HM FPs without a level increase. Currently, the only way people couldn't "outgear" these new proposed FPs would be if they dropped 180/186 level gear, which is probably not a very good idea.
I don't know if many people remember properly (myself included, so details may be eronious...), but when Hard Mode Lost Island was released, it was amazing.

People had already been doing HM/NiM EV+KP for a while I think, but Rakata was still the top gear tier, and HM LI's final boss dropped a Rakata chest piece. It was hard, very hard to pug when it was first released, way harder than any HM flashpoint before... but was fine to run in a co-ordinated group. In a co-ordinated group you could get away with running it in tionese plus a few bits of columni, but in a PuG probably full Columni at least was required - equivalent of todays Arkanian and Underworld I guess?

So it was a HM FP that required you to be at least SM raid geared, but rewarded you with the equivalent of a HM raid piece, was hard enough that everyone and their aunt couldn't just breeze through it for the gear, but gave you just enough that it was worth the effort.

...and then everyone complained that it was too hard... but that's pretty classic of MMO forums I guess...

Maybe the situation at the moment is different, so its not relevant, but worth remembering how new HM FPs were implemented in the past to good effect?

Gilnor
08.06.2014 , 09:30 AM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by Crixaliss View Post
I don't know if many people remember properly (myself included, so details may be eronious...), but when Hard Mode Lost Island was released, it was amazing.

People had already been doing HM/NiM EV+KP for a while I think, but Rakata was still the top gear tier, and HM LI's final boss dropped a Rakata chest piece. It was hard, very hard to pug when it was first released, way harder than any HM flashpoint before... but was fine to run in a co-ordinated group. In a co-ordinated group you could get away with running it in tionese plus a few bits of columni, but in a PuG probably full Columni at least was required - equivalent of todays Arkanian and Underworld I guess?

So it was a HM FP that required you to be at least SM raid geared, but rewarded you with the equivalent of a HM raid piece, was hard enough that everyone and their aunt couldn't just breeze through it for the gear, but gave you just enough that it was worth the effort.

...and then everyone complained that it was too hard... but that's pretty classic of MMO forums I guess...

Maybe the situation at the moment is different, so its not relevant, but worth remembering how new HM FPs were implemented in the past to good effect?
I agree with you but if you make a FP as hard as Lost Island at this point in the game, the only thing you'll get is people asking for a nerf because they can't do it.
GilnŠuro - Assassin
TRE - Disciples of Babylon

JMagee
08.06.2014 , 10:06 AM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by Crixaliss View Post

I don't disagree with 95% of what you said. Technically LI came out with Explosive Conflict, so on the date it was released, rakata was no longer top-tier, but what you needed to get into EC HM, as it was the drop from some EC SM.So LI was more of a way to get BiS -1 gear, well the chest at least, which is always one of the more difficult drops to get.
My concern is if LI v.2.0 were to be released tomorrow, it would drop the DF(180 chest), which drops from Brontes, if we were keeping the BiS -1 "rule" intact. Which means it would drop a piece of gear that would make you ready for NiM DF, not HM DF, like was the case for HM EC. If you made it follow the old method, (drop the equivalent of the SM version of the current end-game OP) it would drop the Underworld chest, which would mean it would be tuned for Arkanian, which would force it to be less difficult than it could be.

I don't really see how that could "work". I'd love another really hard FP, but the Rakata chest piece was a pretty good carrot to try and get a lot of people to try it, because it was the only way to get a Raid equivalent piece back then. There were no comm vendors selling Rakata level, non-set bonused pieces of gear. People now either have the 180 set-bonus chest, have a 180 armoring, or are not interested in trying to get geared up for NiM DF.