LFG / Group Finder Upgrade Suggestions

I have 2 simple suggestions to make finding a group at L55 easier.

1. Show your place in queue. i.e. Queueing as a healer would say " You are 3rd in line to heal for ""_____""

I haven't thought this out a lot, but as far as I can tell, there would be no negative side effects to this. If people knew they had a relatively short wait ahead of them, they would be more likely to stay in queue. I just find it very strange that at certain times you cannot even find a dps through group finder. I believe this is mostly from the excruciating wait times.

The only small detail about this idea that I can think of that might get some negative feedback is that F2P's might not like joining queue at 2nd or 3rd in line, and having subs keep knocking them back because of priority queue.

2. A server wide LFG channel.

This would mean no matter where someone was, (their ship, fleet, oricon, balmorra, pvp, w/e) you could have constant acess to look for party members. Of course this would have to have an option to easily be turned off and on. It seems like it could turn into spam central.

A lot of times I am looking to get picked up by an ops group, but have zero desire to sit on the fleet and blindly drive circles for an hour until a group forms. A server wide LFG channel would alleviate this problem.

Edited by DEE_licious

Number 1 sounds like a good idea but you'd probably also get more people leaving the queue after seeing they're quite far back in it, possibly leading to less pops. Also, what's this about subscribers getting priority- is this something you're proposing, or something you think is happening? Because I don't think it is happening.

Solving number 2 yourself:

1. Make a custom channel for your server to advertise ops in (what's the command- /ccreate?)

2. Advertise the channel on fleet and in your server forum for people to /cjoin.

3. Advertise LFG in channel.

4. Do ops.

Custom channels can be turned off in tabs through Chat Settings and you can leave them by typing /cleave so it's easy.

2. A server wide LFG channel.

This would mean no matter where someone was, (their ship, fleet, oricon, balmorra, pvp, w/e) you could have constant acess to look for party members. Of course this would have to have an option to easily be turned off and on. It seems like it could turn into spam central.

A lot of times I am looking to get picked up by an ops group, but have zero desire to sit on the fleet and blindly drive circles for an hour until a group forms. A server wide LFG channel would alleviate this problem.

Try /cjoin Allies. This is used on my server and I've heard mention of it from people on other servers. It's a custom channel someone made for exactly the purpose you described (and yes, it does become spam central at times).

The server wide channel worked at start of the game, after f2p hits, most people that knowing it they left the game, and with them must left and the creator.

After some months some1 else created another one, he advertise it a lot, no luck from this one and beyond.

They try and others with other channel names to do such thing, at the end we have more than 5 of such type of channels and since we couldn't be in more than 2 of those at once, people start to split between them, and the server wide became guild wide.

I want to say most if not all people like or want to follow ONLY official channels,also the "EGO'' is strong in most people

1. Show your place in queue. i.e. Queueing as a healer would say " You are 3rd in line to heal for ""_____""

I haven't thought this out a lot, but as far as I can tell, there would be no negative side effects to this. If people knew they had a relatively short wait ahead of them, they would be more likely to stay in queue. I just find it very strange that at certain times you cannot even find a dps through group finder. I believe this is mostly from the excruciating wait times.

I like this idea in theory, but I think it might put too much strain on the hamster wheels that keep BioWare's servers running.

With the current system the server has to spend processing time each moment someone enters queue to slot them into the appropriate place in line. With an added feedback system like you suggested, the processing time could be multiplied exponentially as each time another person enters queue the server has to calculate and provide updated feedback to every other person in the queue.

I think the failure of the 16man group finder was a pretty clear illustration of how easily strained the servers runtimes are.

1. Show your place in queue. i.e. Queueing as a healer would say " You are 3rd in line to heal for ""_____"".

All you need is an ETA timer with the average of the last 10 to 20 groups that formed. Instead of "you are third in line..." it would say "your ETA to find a group is X mins Y seconds."

I think more help is actually needed for LFG on heroics. Right now there is only a Group Finder queue for a single planet, which doesn't make a lot of sense outside of doing a run of all heroics on a planet. Making the Group Finder able to queue for individual heroics doesn't make much sense either, since most of the time there wouldn't be enough people queued per heroic to make a group fast.

I think it would be much more useful to have a LFG "bulletin board" where you can post which heroics you're looking for help with, how many people you need, and find others also needing to do them. It would be more useful than asking on gen chat and hoping for a response, and that it doesn't get pushed away out of view.

Edited by Kairrel

All of the proposals above surely make sense but other relatively siple thing that I would find very usful would be to show number of people queued both for PVE and WZ's. It's kinda stupid you can sit whole day in RWZ queue and have no idea if there even is any point, same with FP if you're non-tank. Would be nice to at least know if others are also looking.

All of the proposals above surely make sense but other relatively siple thing that I would find very usful would be to show number of people queued both for PVE and WZ's. It's kinda stupid you can sit whole day in RWZ queue and have no idea if there even is any point, same with FP if you're non-tank. Would be nice to at least know if others are also looking.

Wait, did they remove that functionality again? When testing the group finder on PTS eons ago there actually was a tooltip showing you your place in the queue if you moused over the green group finder LED like icon long enough when queued.

Or does it still have that bug where you have to put the mouse cursor in a very specific place almost pixel perfect for the tooltip to show?

Guess, I'll find out when I log in tonight.